Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP NOW....my SS is stranded!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP NOW....my SS is stranded!

I just got dropped off at home by a friend. I pulled into an auto parts store with my SS to get some car wax. My car started perfectly fine when I left my house. The car ran ABSOLUTELY perfect all the way there, roughly 8 miles. I went in the store and came back out. I then got in the car to come home and the car wouldn't start at all, nothing....like the battery was dead as a doornail. I got out and popped the hood, checked the battery. There was no green light on the factory battery; so I figured the battery took a crap. Luckily the auto parts store where I was at had Delco batteries. I bought a new one and installed it right there in the lot. Jumped in the car and tried to start it but nothing; same as before. What the hell! Could it be the clutch switch? I reached down and pushed the switch in with the car in neutral; then tried to start it....NOTHING! My gauges all move: battery, temp, fuel...everything! Any ideas would be great! The car is stranded until I can get it started and back home!
Old 03-07-2004, 05:23 PM
FormerVendor

Check your fuses and see if one has blown
Old 03-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Launching!

My car did that about a 1 1/2 years ago it could be the reader for the chip on your key it's something to think about.
Jimmy
Old 03-07-2004, 06:53 PM
wrencher

What is the security light on the dash doing?
If you turn the key on the bulb should light & then go out.
It may have broke the VATS pellet harness from the lock cylinder.
If that is the problem you can either replace it w/a dealer supplied correct value cylinder & key set, or use an ohm meter & determain your resistance value of your key pellet.
Then by-pass the key w/a close as possible resistor from radio shack.
If you do a search here it will pop up, VATS by-pass lock cylinder replace etc.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:54 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't be the clutch switch ... i broke mine off, and the car just starts without pushing the clutch down now.

Could be the key as jimmy said ... but more likely it is probably a fuse. Does the car turn on into the ACC position, like will the radio and **** turn on, or is it completely dead?
Old 03-07-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what your describing it's completely dead. Only 2 things could cause this... (1) A ground wire somewhere has come loose. Or (2) The wires to the starter/solenoid have come loose or the solenoid gone bad.

-Sly
Old 03-07-2004, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

It wouldn't be the ground because his lights come on i would say it's that key fob thing or the starter went out. Would doing a push start be an idea? I used to do that to my friend's crx that the starter went out on. If it's that key fob thing then i think you might need to take it to a gm dealer to get it fixed.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh didn't see the part where the lights worked
Old 03-07-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have a standard. Try and push start it.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

I have full power accessories, like the radio and lights. When I get in, sit down, insert the key into the ignition, depress the clutch, thenturn the key to position one(accessory), up till this point everything is normal. If I leave the key in this position the "check gauges" light is on, and the "security" light stays on. Now, if I turn the key to position two(engine start), nothing happens, just like the battery was completely dead, no clicking no nothing. Which fuse would I be looking for? IF it is the VATS chip; do you mean just the chip in that particular ignition key is bad, or does the entire system have to be replaced?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Try your spare keys. The contacts on my keys wore out and caused the security light to trip. Eventually, it gave up, and the security light stays on all the time. I'm taking it to the shop this week to have that repaired.

Good luck!

-Mike
Old 03-07-2004, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

I see you have long tube headers....check all the wiring that is going to the starter and make sure none of them are toast. If this is good, then drop the starter down and do a direct power jump to it. Be careful not to get anything caught in it though...it makes some mad torque. If the starter is good after doing this, I would aim towards the key as others have stated.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:44 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by 14u2nv
I have full power accessories, like the radio and lights. If I leave the key in this position the "check gauges" light is on, and the "security" light stays on.
There you go you have to start w/the VATS system.
If it is causing your no crank, push start wont work, PCM will deny injector pulse.
If you pull the lower panel you can test the harness of the vats system for continuity thru the cylinder.
If it doesn't come back as same as key,do the searches for the by-pass or replacement.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive had starter solenoids go out like that before
I've owned a few used 3rd gen's, so crap like that always went out on me
Old 03-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Had the same thing happen to me about 6 months ago. Turned out that my BCM (Body Control Module) went bad. Had it towed to Chevy since I didn't know what was wrong. Since it was already in their shop when it was determined that the BCM was bad, had them just replace it there...$$$. If your BCM goes bad, not sure if the VATS bypass resistor fix will work.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

I tried my spare set of keys which have NEVER been used, not even once....nothing! I was wrong with my origianl decription of whats happening. When I turn the key to position 1 all the lights come on like normal, then when I turn the key to position 2 they all turn off except "check gauges", "service engine" and the "security" light flashes(not stays on, but it will continually flash). Also, when I turn the key and all the lights turn off, except the ones mentioned....I hear a loud click type noise coming from the cluster area or just in front of the dash...the noise is loud enough to be easily heard, sounds like a non-functioning relay or something. I will go back and check the fuses, but which ones should I check in particular?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

I'm curious on what's happening with your car... Keep us posted on what the fix is.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

im gonna have to lean torwards the vats system. probbly a broken wire on the cylinder or just plain bad vats sucks sometimes. your best bet is to like others have said get the resitence of your chip and just bypass the system, cheap and will never leave ya stranded again for that reason
Old 03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Check your starter relay up in one of the fuse boxes. There are other relays that are exactly like it and you can swap them real quick to determine if that is the problem.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it is VATS, it should start now. It resets itself about 5 minutes after you turn the key and it doesn't start. Try it a few times, when the SECURITY light goes out, turn the key and see if it starts.