Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered

To start, I'm in contractor in Afghanistan. So far everything I've done is through correspondence. The car is in Sacramento, CA. I had been considering doing a Porsche 914 V8 for a long time, but then researched the Corvairs and prefered the looks, and that it has a back seat. Still a pretty light car. I went with the LS4 because of cost, compactness, potential and the water pump outlet. I currently have Eric at kitcarchassis.com building the adapter to go to a Porsche G96/996 transaxle. Engine programming/harness will likely be done by Thunder Racing. I will go with the stock engine for now, then do performance mods after everything is built.

I'm looking for general quotes, experience, etc to fit the match of this build. I have one guy that I'm in correspondence with, but he's more of an old school rat rod builder, and I'm guessing because of where he's located, his costs' are higher too. Since I'm over here, where the car is finished is not a big deal. Completion date would need to be around mid March 2012. I've done a LOT of research on what I want, and I feel I have a solution so that we won't have to redesign the whole rear suspension. Also, this will not be a show car. This will be a nice, general, semi daily driver. I don't need everything TIG welded, smoothed, etc. In my opinion, seems a lot of shops have gotten so high end that prices have gone through the roof.

So if you're an established shop WITH a website/pictures and some references, I would be interested in hearing your experience and take on the project. I already have a writeup of what I would like that I wrote for the other shop that I can send you. I'm willing to ship the car if warranted. PM me if you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-drivers-side-back-angle.jpg   Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-img140.jpg   Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-ls4-5.3l-v8-impala-ss.jpg  

Last edited by 73metalman; 09-24-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

well who ever you hire, make sure one part of the contract is that they post the build here for all of us to see
Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Just a little FYI as I've been researching. The '06 Impala SS uses the E40 ECU, which can't be programmed to use a cable throttle. So the options are to wire in the pedal/TPS assembly, or build a harness to accept an LS1 ECU with a cable TB.

If you built a harness, you could build it to accept the LS6 injectors/intake.

Note: the '07 up uses the E67 ECU which corralates also to a 58x reluctor. The E40 uses a 24x reluctor.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Here are some pictures

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4102350&type=3

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read...202#msg-505202
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default pictures

here are a couple of pics as of june 1st.
Attached Thumbnails Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-june-1-subframe2.jpg   Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-june-1-subframe.jpg  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good friend of mine dad has 2 corvairs with ls1's he built, this guy is a corvair nut.You will love it when it's done. He has a coupe and a wagon. Here a vid of the coupe he was at a corvair show and this guy wanted to film it.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking car by the way!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry, not excited. Putting an engine in the front of a Corvair is just pointless. Now it's like any other musclecar. And that cameraman is the same annoying camera man I've heard in other Corvair videos. He should leave the narration up to the exhaust and the owner.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Staging Lane

Default Recent pics

Here's some recent pics.
Attached Thumbnails Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-22-july-2012-1.jpg   Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-22-july-2012-2.jpg   Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-22-july-2012-4.jpg   Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-22-july-2012-6.jpg   Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered-22-july-j-8.jpg  

Last edited by 73metalman; 06-26-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Oops, links didn't work
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

For anyone following, I've figured out that I can remove the mechanical pump, make a block off plate, and run an inline electric water pump. There's no room for a regular corvette pump. I'm using the LS4 water pump housing because it's so slim. I don't have AC or PS so only need to mount up an alternator. Keeping the full stock serpentine setup was going to interfere with the deck lid and require heavy modification of the license plate area.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default Updates

Ok, Ordered a quick steer box, an Ididit column with tilt, tele, ign in powdercoat black. A Ron Francis fuse box and harness installed. Front radiator shroud built. Holley Dominator ecu and harness ordered and almost installed. CAE Porsche shifter ordered. Intake tube/MAF/ filter still being tweeked. Headers fitted but exhaust not finished. Modified C5 'Vette rear spring in the works. Axle stubs into Corvette hubs to accept Porsche axles purchased and recieved. Wilwood clutch master cylinder fitted but not completed. Ign. coil relocators installed. Cleaned up valve covers purchased and installed.

Photos here

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4102350&type=3

Last edited by 73metalman; 10-14-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Dead link.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

try this thread

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read...518#msg-553518
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Hi, it's been a long time since I put up any new info. As of today, the car is almost ready. The shop finishing the job is either super busy, or he's tired of working on it because it's been dragging on way too long. So far it stays cool at idle. The Holley dominator EFI is working but I haven't had a chance to play with it. It is driveable but a tire is rubbing and the brakes aren't working properly. These are the last two bits to take care of. I have relocated to AZ and the car is still at the shop in CA. I'm hoping to get it soon so I can be ready for summer.

I had to custom order a corvette spring from a place in FL, and that in conjunction with corvette coilovers seems to be too stiff. When I get the car back I plan on removing the coilover springs and just run the shocks.

I did use the LS4 water pump housing, but blocked it off and am using a mesier electric water pump up front. The stock thermostat housing interfered with the subframe, so I found and rotateable one, but can't remember the place right now. Its the same bolt pattern/hole as the LS6 I believe.

If you're considering a similar swap, let me offer some advice. 1. Go with an existing adapter such as renegade hybrids or Kennedy engineering for an LS1. It will cost more, but in the end will probably save you headaches down the road. 2. Use the C6 rear suspension, not the C6. The spring will be easier to adapt and on those model the front and rear springs have the same mount/profile so you have a larger variety of springs to chose from.

Well, hope that curbs anyones interest.

Quick Reply: Build thread-LS4 '65 Corvair- seeking builder- CA prefered