Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which line off the radiator goes to cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which line off the radiator goes to cooler?

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I've heard conflicting views on which is the most efficient. With my SSRA, I have my B&M cooler installed in the passengar side service area (cut hole in panel). Currently it's hooked to the bottom line from the radiator. Is that wrong? If so, is it even serving a purpose? TIA
Old 03-07-2004, 09:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

The top line off the radiator is the fluid return line (going out of the cooler and back into the trans). I found this out the hard way when I blew a cooler hose off last month......
Old 03-07-2004, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

So it's supposed to be cooled on the way back to the transmission? Is the way I have it now totally pointless?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by celerityZ
So it's supposed to be cooled on the way back to the transmission? Is the way I have it now totally pointless?
You want to hook up your aftermarket cooler after the stock radiator cooler. You want it to be like this:

Out of the transmission---> Into the stock cooler---> Out of the stock cooler---> Into the aftermarket cooler---> Out of the aftermarket cooler---> Back into the transmission.

That setup will give you the best cooling possibile. How you have it now is not "pointless", but if you have it going into your aftermarket cooler first and then into the stock cooler, you're not getting as much cooling as you could be. The radiator ends up heating the fluid back up some on the way through....
Old 03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Gotcha. Thanks man. I'll swing by AutoZone and get some more hose and fix it when I get a chance.