Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Georgia inspection requirements

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Georgia inspection requirements

Can anyone give me an idea of how the vehicle inspection standards are for Georgia? Wife and I might possibly be relocating to Georgia I have a 99T/A that would be of concern.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, where are the best schools K-12.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It actually depends on what part of Georgia you move to. Some counties have emission inspections, while others do not. It would be best for you to find out what county the city you are planning on moving to is in and checking the requirements for that county.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazboy99
It actually depends on what part of Georgia you move to. Some counties have emission inspections, while others do not. It would be best for you to find out what county the city you are planning on moving to is in and checking the requirements for that county.

Emission inspections as the "sniffer test" or just visual?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nowhere in Georgia does the sniffer on anything 96-present. Sniffers are only done on pre-96 vehicles.

If you move into an emissions legal county, most places will do a visual to see if you have cats and run the diagnostic on your PCM to make sure there's no fault codes. If you pass both of those, you get your sticker.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Damian is right. My IS300 with LS1 swap passed emissions.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stancel, than you for the reply. Recommend any places to relocate there? I am only familiar with locations along I-75.

Damien has been great help.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Launching!

It all depends what setting you like Are you a fan of suburbia? More of a country guy? You can settle in nowheresville to Country Club of the South and everywhere in between, all a matter of want and budget.

I live in Fulton county and it is one of the typical suburban areas. Lots of families, but lots of cool cars because there is money.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Desire:
Good Schools (our boys are about to start)
Mild/No winters
Jobs availability (we are both educated, wife is in the medical field)
Safety
Affordable housing
Lot of entertainment/activities

We live in a town of 20,000 currently and have for the last 6 years, but have lived in a town as big as 80,000. Def. prefer suburbs.

We tried central Florida as we loved the weather and everything there. What we found were poorly rated schools and outragous daycare/preschool expenses.

I have been looking at Valdosta (appears high in crime), Columbus, Macon (high crime and very high unemployment) and Savannah. Alanta area is an option, but the wife hates the traffic there..haha

We are trying to get out of the miserable winters here in the midwest and feel too land locked.

I should add that we live in a military community (Whiteman Air Force Base) and we also have a University here with approx 12,000 students, neither of which bother us. As a matter of fact, the military base being here is why our house sold so quickly and has kept the housing market strong here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Blu99T/A; 10-14-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Honestly, if your looking for medical and around 20,000 people I can think of 2 areas on the north side that are suburbs of Atlanta. One being the Hall County/Northern Gwinnett county area. and the other being the Alpharetta/Cumming Area.

The winters here are varied, one year it can snow 3-4 inches and/or ice over 4-5 times. It can also never snow nor ice. But your always looking at several weeks of freezing to slightly above freezing weather.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobby1471
Honestly, if your looking for medical and around 20,000 people I can think of 2 areas on the north side that are suburbs of Atlanta. One being the Hall County/Northern Gwinnett county area. and the other being the Alpharetta/Cumming Area.

The winters here are varied, one year it can snow 3-4 inches and/or ice over 4-5 times. It can also never snow nor ice. But your always looking at several weeks of freezing to slightly above freezing weather.

Weeks is much better than months.

We would live in a high population area without any problems (around 100,000 give or take)

Are the winters much different from Northern Georgia than Southern Georgia typically?

Does Georgia use road salt to treat roads there? I assume so, but thought I would ask.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just bumping this 1 last time to see if anyone else has any input.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

I'd look at either Gwinnett or Cobb for northern Atlanta. If you don't mind being away from downtown Atlanta, you should look at places down 85 south. Fayetteville, Fairburn, Tyrone, and Newnan are nice and have good schools. If you don't mind spending extra i'd look at Peachtree City.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
Are the winters much different from Northern Georgia than Southern Georgia typically?
There is a big difference in weather.

South georgia (valdosta, etc) is more of a subtropical feel like florida.

North georgia is more mild in the summer, colder in the winter.

Example: last winter the north got one blizzard that dumped like 6 inches of snow, while the south got a little bit of freezing rain. There's not usually much snow anywhere but definitely colder temperatures in the north.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
There is a big difference in weather.

South georgia (valdosta, etc) is more of a subtropical feel like florida.

North georgia is more mild in the summer, colder in the winter.

Example: last winter the north got one blizzard that dumped like 6 inches of snow, while the south got a little bit of freezing rain. There's not usually much snow anywhere but definitely colder temperatures in the north.
It is funny that you consider 6" of snow a blizzard when we had a 26" snow event in February of 2011. It was rare for here even, and it was nuts.

I have a buddy that has family in Newnan, I will talk to him and see what he says. I always liked what I seen of Valdosta, just don't know much about it other than what I have experienced traveling through.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Damian
Nowhere in Georgia does the sniffer on anything 96-present. Sniffers are only done on pre-96 vehicles.

If you move into an emissions legal county, most places will do a visual to see if you have cats and run the diagnostic on your PCM to make sure there's no fault codes. If you pass both of those, you get your sticker.

Just to make a adjustment here Damian.

I took a customers car to get emissions done 2 weeks ago, and the state was doing sniffer tests on all vehicles that came in that day. Not sure why, but for that day, they were doing sniffer test. So it must be a random thing they are doing now.

Chris
Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely weird. I'm assuming each EPA station can set their own protocol, but I know for a fact that Georgia only regulates OBD II (96+) vehicles to pass a PCM diagnostic and visual.

Hopefully emissions stations don't start getting cute and trying to sniff newer cars. There's gonna be a LOT of people buying cats soon if that's the case. LOL

Quick Reply: Georgia inspection requirements