Sponsored by:

New engine.perfect dyno number.No more oil pressure after 600miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New engine.perfect dyno number.No more oil pressure after 600miles

PICS ADDED ON POST #9
Well after putting a big amount of money and buying a brand new 383 assembled shortblock with all the accessories(oil pump,timin chain,oil pan,windage tray,pick up tube,cam and all covers) im having issue with my oil pressure now.

After the break in miles,we put the car on the dyno wednesday (september 5th) with the BR30 in it.We did the dynotune and everything went great.Result where really close to what we where expecting.It made 477whp (a gain of 37whp) and 424wtq (a gain of 46 wtq).We then flush the oil and put some 5w30 mineral oil in it.Planning on putting some good synthetic one in 8000 miles.We did put some small ride on thursday and friday to tweak the part throttle tune and everything was fine.

But...I did a small ride with it yesterday during the night(less than 100 miles ride) and i saw that i lost all the oil pressure that was there before.
I mean until today i would get 70-75psi average of oil pressure on cold start and it would not drop lower than 50-55 psi in normal operating range(195 degree) on idle.I would get 50 psi or more on normal driving at around 1800rpm and it would rise quickly when going WOT.

Now i only get exactly 43psi on cold start (lost 30 psi)and it would slowly go down to 7psi in normal opertaing range(195 degree ) (lost of near 50 psi) and its way way too low..When drving the oil pressure would go slowly to 30 psi range when driving at 2500 steady rpm but would slowly go down even when keeping the same rpm.With a little throttle,not wot because i was to afraid of breaking something, the oil pressure would go up a little but would never past the 40 issh psi mark...Oil level is perfect.

So whats happenning now ???
Thanks
Eric

Last edited by always faster; 10-10-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First place to start is to determine if the oil pressure gauge is accurate or not. Need to use a second mechanical gauge tapped into the main oil gallery to see what it reads.

It's possible the oil filter has failed somehow to restrict the oil pressure (LSx oil pressure reads after the oil filter). You might try a new oil filter just to test this theory - it's an easy/cheap thing to try. What oil filter are you using? - hopefully not an eCore design which could possibly blow-out the media and clog oil passages.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 10-08-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
First place to start is to determine if the oil pressure gauge is accurate or not. Need to use a second mechanical gauge tapped into the main oil gallery to see what it reads.

It's possible the oil filter has failed somehow to restrict the oil pressure (LSx oil pressure reads after the oil filter). You might try a new oil filter just to test this theory - it's an easy/cheap thing to try. What oil filter are you using? - hopefully not an eCore design which could possibly blow-out the media and clog oil passages.
Im using a k&n HP-1007 wich i ve been using for years with all my other lsx based car.

Im sorry if but im doing my best with my english(french guy here) but where should i hook up the mechanical gauge exactly???And just for additional info, im using the the TPE oil pressure sensors relocation kit,wich relocate the sensor on a new block just above the oil filter.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by always faster
Im using a k&n HP-1007 wich i ve been using for years with all my other lsx based car.

Im sorry if but im doing my best with my english(french guy here) but where should i hook up the mechanical gauge exactly???And just for additional info, im using the the TPE oil pressure sensors relocation kit,wich relocate the sensor on a new block just above the oil filter.
I've got the same TRE oil pressure relocation kit on my Z06. If you removed the temperature sensor, you could attach a mechanical pressure gauge there with the right fitting/adapter. Then you could compare it to the car's pressure gauge directly.

BTW - any oil filter can have a failure regardless of the brand or it's past performance.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got the same TRE oil pressure relocation kit on my Z06. If you removed the temperature sensor, you could attach a mechanical pressure gauge there with the right fitting/adapter. Then you could compare it to the car's pressure gauge directly.

BTW - any oil filter can have a failure regardless of the brand or it's past performance.
Thanks i ll bring the car to my friend shop on tuesday and will change the oil filter and hook up a mechanical gauge to see the result.If its not the oil filter and the mechanical gauge show the same result of low pressure what would be my nest step ???
Thanks
Eric
Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

If it is not a sensor/ gauge issue you will be looking @ taking the oil pan off and inspecting bearings. I learned my lesson buying pre built motors. Most are slapped together and sent to the customer. By the time the motor fails compaines want warranty them any ways.

I am sure you will find, either a main bearing is toast, or one of the rods. Plastic gauge can be picked up from Napa, depending on what u would like your clearances at you would want the red or green.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...You might try a new oil filter just to test this theory - it's an easy/cheap thing to try. What oil filter are you using? - hopefully not an eCore design which could possibly blow-out the media and clog oil passages.
And open up that filter for inspection! Although with that kind "pressure loss" you'd think there'd be noise...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

You need to verify the real oil pressure with a mech gauage as stated before.

Couldnt this be oil pump related, meaning possibly the oil pump O-ring? If it were the bearings, the oil pressure would be noticeable higher when the car is first started and as the soon as the oil temps rose the oil would thin out/the clearances expand slightly and the oil pressure would be on the low side.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look at the pics and tell me what you think.This oil and filter is only 40 miles old.Only 1 or 2 hard shift and thats it.The oil is full of metal shaving part and the oil filter got some nice big one at the bottom:

Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that is a ton of bearing material..... obviously something went catastrophically wrong... All you can do now is pull it out and tear it down to see if you can figure out what happened????
Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's about as ugly as it gets without having something sticking out of the block.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At least you caught it early before something poked through your block. Time to tear it down.
sorry and good luck
Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman
That's about as ugly as it gets without having something sticking out of the block.
Amen! No noises? Seems like it would have been hammering like a diesel...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Pay attention to the cam bearings really good, if those bearing arent within certain tolerances than oil pressure will do exactly what you described. Use a micrometer with a telescoping gauge to see what kind of bearing wear you have going on. check for taper and out-of-round. good luck, hope you get it fixed
Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Amen! No noises? Seems like it would have been hammering like a diesel...
No noise at all.Eevn my friend listen to it at idle and didnt hear anything strange...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what I refer to as PARTY OIL. Shiny.. Sparkly. You broke something. You HAVE to tear it down. Don't fight with denial. It just gets you in deeper trouble. Do it, get it over with. Figure it out. fix it. Get back on the street.

477 whp is nice by the way.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

This is freaking me out, subscribed. I too am having pressure issues after a rebuild I have some but at idle it is at 20psi when hot after 200 miles of good pressure. Not trying to hijack but please keep us posted on your findings. I will be swapping the pump and sending unit this weekend and I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

im might have mist it but where did you get the motor ?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by armyinfantry3id
Pay attention to the cam bearings really good, if those bearing arent within certain tolerances than oil pressure will do exactly what you described. Use a micrometer with a telescoping gauge to see what kind of bearing wear you have going on. check for taper and out-of-round. good luck, hope you get it fixed
With the amount and the size of the metal in the oil, I would suspect every bearing in that engine is smoked. The oil filter probably caught most of it, but if the filter bypass valve opened at all then that crap went into the engine to do damage. I'd suspect the oil pump is definitely toast.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who built the block?

Quick Reply: New engine.perfect dyno number.No more oil pressure after 600miles