Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steam?

hey guys i finaly got an ls1 sixspeed and couldnt be happier but the car need work to say the least. basicly the car has a K&N filter in stock location, hurst shifter, and a flowmaster muffler. thats all....i started my car to drive it off the trailer after the 4 hour trip home and it seems to steam out the exhaust. it was about 60 outside and damp feeling in the air. the exhaust is stock except someone put a flowmaster muffler in place of stock one. the car seems to run ok but the clutch is shot so i cant realy drive it around to tell. i didnt know if that pretty normal or maybe a blown head gasket?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "steam" may be normal- hot (moist) exhaust gases travelling out the exhaust system to a cooler (ambient) environment = condensation. Next time, take a whiff of the steam and see if it smells sweet, like coolant.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

When I first got my LS1 the weather was similar to that, it had the same "steam" when revving and on starts. as soon as the temp started to rise the steam went away. Sounds to me just like normal exhaust gas to me.

Did the steam only come out when you first started it, or was it a continuous flow the entire time the car was running?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

well like i said the clutch is shot and i cant realy drive it, just about ablock so far. i started it today its about 65ish but not moist air. didnt steam so im guessing that flowmaster is just bad for making condensation inside there. i gave it a few revs to about 2500 rpms nothing to much. my buddy said it shot little droplets of water out when i did it. but again could be condensation. ive never had a car with full exhaust so i didnt kno haha
Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's normal. When you start smelling coolant, then that's bad.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, that's probably what it is.. this is my car with my stock muffler, which had the "steam" problem a lot. Does it look like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obyfZ...el_video_title
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

yup thats exactly it! thank gosh i didnt wana pull the heads off of this thing lol or swap in the 6.0 yet
Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

No kidding! lol better to ask on the forum than to tear apart your engine looking for a problem
glad I could help! when I swapped in my new catback the steam went away completely.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Drill a couple of weep holes at the lowest point of the muffler and let the water (condensation) drip out.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long would it take for the condensation to wear out? I also the same smoke/vapor but less and i think i have a blown headgasket due to other symptoms. I have a GMMG and i dont want to poke any holes in it.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zlow28
how long would it take for the condensation to wear out? I also the same smoke/vapor but less and i think i have a blown headgasket due to other symptoms. I have a GMMG and i dont want to poke any holes in it.
mine took a few weeks.. And I haven't had any problems since I replaced my stock system, I never had any issues with my cat-back, and right now I'm running open y until I get my true duals installed this weekend and still have no problems.