Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lack of power with ProCharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Lack of power with ProCharger?

A friend of mine said that he got a ride in a 98-02 Trans Am that had a Procharger on it and it felt really slow and boggy and after that it kinda killed the appeal and he went with a turbo 4 banger. Thats really all the info I have but does anybody have an idea as to why he had such a negative experience with his Trans Am ride?

Could it have been tuning, air/fuel issues, or something else?

I'm not sure where I want to take my car yet but I don't want to regret the decision later. I'm not really looking at turbo systems because I just spent $1,400 on finishing my exhaust but a Procharger could be a viable option.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tuning is very important when it comes to boosted cars... Itll make you or break you.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

The wrong stall can do it too!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Him going to the 4 banger is the problem, not the procharger
Old 10-16-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Base Procharger kit without any other mods and tuned "safe" would be my guess. I watched one consistently dyno around 420rwhp. It was just a factory p1sc kit with the factory twin intercoolers pullied for 8 psi on a stock ls1. The tune was probably wasnt great. The results were disappointing imo but I don't think they were normal even for a mild Procharger setup.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
Base Procharger kit without any other mods and tuned "safe" would be my guess. I watched one consistently dyno around 420rwhp. It was just a factory p1sc kit with the factory twin intercoolers pullied for 8 psi on a stock ls1. The tune was probably wasnt great. The results were disappointing imo but I don't think they were normal even for a mild Procharger setup.
lol, 420hp with a procharger is embarrassing. To the op. You need a ride in an 800+ hp procharged car. With that much power the car accelerates like nothing else. With the right tune, cam, heads, etc and procharger will perform as good or better than a turbo, depending on the setup. I am sure I will hear it from the turbo guys now, lol.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buick_lsx
Him going to the 4 banger is the problem, not the procharger
lol...
Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

It sounds like either the tune was **** or maybe he was on a weak P1SC tuner kit. My stock bottom end car made 590rwhp with a D1SC...far from weak imo lol
Old 10-16-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just spent a good deal of $$ on ARH exhaust parts, I'd be willing to save up to get a Procharger rather than doing other mods now though after hearing from you guys. I was originally going to go with a P1SC but if the D1SC isn't going to hurt anything more than a P unit would I'd upgrade to that. My problem is that I would have to worry about the transmission and the 10 bolt rear end handling the added power...the engine would be stock too, only mods would be lid, LT's, ORY, Borla and LCA's.

Originally Posted by js2fst
The wrong stall can do it too!
What stall would be recommended for a car with a Procharger? If I go ATI I'd be keeping the stock cam at least for a good while.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i am also interested in this in a week or two i will be pulling the trigger on a procharger kit i found ( d1sc on 8 rib) and i will have stock rear end and and stock bottem end. mods are lid, 85mm tb, bbk intake, bbk lt's and lca's with subframe, panhard rod and torque arm. i dont want to break anything and i wont be launching it from a dead stop untill a future investment in a moser 9
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

I would do a yank 3600.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I figured since I'm sure when all this is going to happen I would go with a Circle D in the 3200 range and then re-stall it to 3600-4000 once the heavier mods start coming in. Yank only has a free re-stall for the first year, Chris does a free one anytime for life.

I also spoke with my buddy and he said the reason that the Procharged T/A he rode in was slow because the idler pulley for the blower had worn down due to the fact that he installed it wrong. there wasnt enough tension on the blower pulley so he wasnt making hardly any boost at all. Not sure why that guys mistake made him think less of F-Bodies but apparently that was why it felt slow, and if that's true it probably wasn't tuned either
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Ive got a D1SC car that makes 700+ to the tire. It pulls like a raped ape. I dont know what your buddy is smokin, but it must be some good **** to go with a turbo 4 banger. I know those 4 bangers make tons of tark tho.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your bud was just lookin for an excuse to get a ricer. Any REAL gearhead, woulda found or made up MORE reasons to get a LS car asap. He prolly thinks less of them now, and bases everything off that experience now. He'll come across a legit ls car one day in his ricer. wondering WTF just happen
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

He went with a Caliber SRT4, he claims ~315whp. It has a straight 3" turbo back exhaust and a tune...

I took him for a ride in a bone stock Z28 vert i test drove and my Formula and he said damn maybe these aren't as bad as I thought they were, after telling a mutual friend the week before how slow our cars really are
Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

lmao go over the caliber forums i bet theres a post right now

lack of power overall in my srt-4?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It will only be a matter of time before he starts quoting Hp/L and other ricer math. And other bench racing and excuses. Been there, friend owns a skittles
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemeSS
It will only be a matter of time before he starts quoting Hp/L and other ricer math. And other bench racing and excuses. Been there, friend owns a skittles
these are the main ones...
Attached Thumbnails Lack of power with ProCharger?-2008-07-12_045727_460px-ricer.jpg   Lack of power with ProCharger?-excuses_for_ricers.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a 2004 Neon SXT as my first car, I wanted a Neon SRT4 incredibly bad but insurance was insane because of all the idiots that drove (aka wrecked) them. I've only been in 1 Neon SRT4, stock, and it was pretty quick, riding in the Caliber the thing just seems slower than the older model.

To bring things a little back to the topic though, for all you procharged guys here, have you had any issues with damage to the system due to the head unit being under the car rather than in the engine bay? Looking at install pics it seems like the intercoolers and the HU could get pretty beat up. What about weather too, medium to large puddles and whatnot?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
I had a 2004 Neon SXT as my first car, I wanted a Neon SRT4 incredibly bad but insurance was insane because of all the idiots that drove (aka wrecked) them. I've only been in 1 Neon SRT4, stock, and it was pretty quick, riding in the Caliber the thing just seems slower than the older model.

To bring things a little back to the topic though, for all you procharged guys here, have you had any issues with damage to the system due to the head unit being under the car rather than in the engine bay? Looking at install pics it seems like the intercoolers and the HU could get pretty beat up. What about weather too, medium to large puddles and whatnot?
The Neon is a much lighter car than the Caliber is, Calibers are around 3100lbs.

I'll bet your buddy had a six rib ProCharger kit, and never retightened the blower belt, which results in massive belt slippage and causes a huge loss in horsepower.

3000 to 3200 rpm is what I would go with for the torque converter. Adding forced induction to the car requires a stronger converter, such as Precision Industries Vigilante triple disc.

Intercoolers and the head unit should not get beat up under the car. I could see the intercoolers possibly getting damaged if you slam up over a tall curb, but most people never have a problem with them. You could always go with the ProCharger front mount intercooler option. Rain isn't normally a problem either.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ20...-Speed-Kit.htm
Check out my complete D-1SC kit at the above link. The only thing you will need is to get the car tuned.

If you want a copy of the ProCharger installation instructions, send me an e-mail to brutespeed@gmail.com

Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Lack of power with ProCharger?