View Full Version : LS1 Camaro vs LS1 Corvette

CarGuy91
10-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Okay, I'll start off with I know this topic has probably been covered a billion times on here, and I've read through some of people opinions, facts, etc already. The next thing, I'm rather new to LS1s and don't know a lot about them, and haven't yet owned one. I had a 351 swapped 90 Mustang that I sold and would now like to get into an LS1. BUT HERE IS MY QUESTION. I am looking at a few vehicles, such as '99 FRC Corvette 55k miles manual, '02 Camaro SS 42k miles auto, and some others like it. I like Corvettes a little better, but not sure if it's really worth it to spend the extra money with little difference in the drive train. So I ask YOU GUYS to help me choose what I would like to get. Let me know the facts you know or opinions on the different vehicles, or possibly recommendations on something different. Advantages/disadvantages. I would also like your opinions on auto/manual choice. I would like a manual, but could easily live with an auto.

Anyhow, please let me know anything that could help me search and in the end my purchase! Anything and everything is appreciated! Thanks!!

Jake

TransAmWS.6
10-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Even though the Corvette has the same powertrain, it feels like a completely different car. The simplest way I can put is that the Corvette feels like a true sports car, much tighter, precise and agile. A Camaro or Trans Am just feels a lot more raw, they feel more like a real muscle car. Performance wise, stock for stock, the edge goes to the Corvette obviously. But the F-Body's are really not far behind at all, and when you start modding them, they even out even more.

CarGuy91
10-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Even though the Corvette has the same powertrain, it feels like a completely different car. The simplest way I can put is that the Corvette feels like a true sports car, much tighter, precise and agile. A Camaro or Trans Am just feels a lot more raw, they feel more like a real muscle car. Performance wise, stock for stock, the edge goes to the Corvette obviously. But the F-Body's are really not far behind at all, and when you start modding them, they even out even more.

Thank you for your input TransAm. Seems like most people seem to agree with you on the general handling on the two cars, as that's what I got when reading some of people opinions on the two cars.. I'm sitting here watching the thread like a hawk, eager to read responses, and ask questions. Lol..

What are you driving right now, TransAm, and how do you like it?

bigpapi211
10-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Vette will always be the better choice. Power is equal. Vette is lighter. And basically what was said already, the overall drive experience is completely different. Again vette is the better choice. So all in all buy the camaro and call it day

Sladester2
10-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Corvette for long trips would be better. I just like the feeling of the Trans Am and Camaro.. Seems like its a monster. Better way to say it would just be like a Bad Ass muscle car. Corvettes get looks but are more of a sleek sexy car to me. If I hear a Ws6 from 2 streets away and a Corvette that sounds the same, the ws6 would seem more natural if you get what im saying.

CarGuy91
10-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Corvette for long trips would be better. I just like the feeling of the Trans Am and Camaro.. Seems like its a monster. Better way to say it would just be like a Bad Ass muscle car. Corvettes get looks but are more of a sleek sexy car to me. If I hear a Ws6 from 2 streets away and a Corvette that sounds the same, the ws6 would seem more natural if you get what im saying.

Yes, I definitely understand what you're saying as far as sound. As far as long trips go, I didn't even think about that. The car I buy will probably see a few long trips in my ownership(Killeen, TX to Council Bluffs, IA. About 800 miles and 12 hours).

RedRallyeZ
10-18-2011, 11:09 PM
depends on what you want the car for.

Keep in mind, if its gonna be a drag oriented car, the Vette has an IRS, and stock anyway, thinner sidewall tires. So for a 1/4 car, the f-body platform is gonna be a little more ready to go, out of the box anyway.

Same situation when we're talking about transmission choices. The Auto is going to be a little more consistent at the strip. Thats not to say a manual can't do amazing things, but just different paths to get to your goal. I had an A4 from the factory and just recently did the swap. My 3500RPM stalled auto was a beast, incredibly fun to drive and would sneak up on a lot of people. But the 4l60e just doesn't have the power handling that a t56 has (before getting into upgrades) and i was ready for a new route. I don't regret the swap one bit.

the_merv
10-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Corvette's are a pain in the fuckin ass to work on..9.5 hours to change a clutch..fck that.

CarGuy91
10-18-2011, 11:14 PM
depends on what you want the car for.

Keep in mind, if its gonna be a drag oriented car, the Vette has an IRS, and stock anyway, thinner sidewall tires. So for a 1/4 car, the f-body platform is gonna be a little more ready to go, out of the box anyway.

All in all, it will probably be cruised most of the time, at first anyways. I'm sure I'll get to modding it eventually. It may see a track a couple times, but I'm sure not much, and it may get some street action every now and again.

ws6transam98
10-19-2011, 12:49 AM
I have owned both and i just like the way a ws6 drives and looks. I can't really explain it. In my corvette I felt kinda weird lol but that is my opinion. I'm sure you would be happy with either way you went.

CarGuy91
10-19-2011, 01:25 AM
And I guess another question for everyone. How do the LS1s like superchargers? Because I think I'd eventually like to put a centrifual on it.

NVUSZ28
10-19-2011, 03:32 AM
It was said in another thread and I'll repeat it. If you get the Corvette, you'll get the Corvette Tax. Things will be inexplicably more expensive, and they'll do it just because of the word Corvette on it.

If you do Bolt on's to both cars, it's not that bad, but look at fab'd exhaust systems for both. You can see how more expensive the Vettes are.

afastm6
10-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Camaro or ta be the way to go vettes are alot harder to work on and most ppl exspect a fast vette but get shocked with a fast f body

SportGoldSS
10-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Ive raced an auto vette in my six speed camaro with just a cat back and we were dead nuts even from a roll if that tells you anything. And keep in mind, F-bodies have back seats, if you plan on taking more than one person anywhere, they may be a better choice.

ULTIMATEORANGESS
10-19-2011, 07:10 AM
if you can afford it and can DD a vette where you live id get it.

for racing id get an fbody though vettes are just as capable thats just what id go with.

the_merv
10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
G-body..you have this thing called Engine Bay room..:D

BoricuaHec01
10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Camaro all day, Corvette's are overrated and are for old people but I still wouldn't mind a Z06 lol.

NY02ws6
10-19-2011, 01:09 PM
engine bay room is overrated...I like having to pull my intake just to get the last bolt out of a coilpack...or pulling coilpacks just to change plugs....hahahahaha..but seriously i love my T/A

38DD2436
10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Buy both and have the best of both worlds!

TransAmWS.6
10-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Thank you for your input TransAm. Seems like most people seem to agree with you on the general handling on the two cars, as that's what I got when reading some of people opinions on the two cars.. I'm sitting here watching the thread like a hawk, eager to read responses, and ask questions. Lol..

What are you driving right now, TransAm, and how do you like it?

I like my Camaro pretty good (below in my sig pic), I've had it for about 6 almost 7 months now and it's been my daily driver ever since. Has 70k miles on it as it sits and the only issue I have had with it is a catalytic converter going bad, and the solution to fixing that problem was fairly inexpensive.

F-Body's are so cheap to buy initially, and the aftermarket for them is huge and relatively cheap. If something breaks or needs replacing, you can just resort to the aftermarket and replace it with something better for the same price or cheaper than an OEM part. Corvette's are going to be much more expensive all around, but are considered a step-up from F-Body's by most.

bestlude
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Vette will always be the better choice. Power is equal. Vette is lighter. And basically what was said already, the overall drive experience is completely different. Again vette is the better choice.

THIS...

AND
You'll be getting alot more Tail with a corvette if you know what i mean :cheers:

HP FEVER
10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
If it was mainly Drag car: Camaro & Auto

Mainly Street car: Corvette & 6 sp.

Wimimc
10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
also insurance with a Camaro would be cheaper than a Vette.

Z28Z06
10-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Even though the Corvette has the same powertrain, it feels like a completely different car.

TransAm is right, the Vette (especially a Z06) has a much lighter more nimble feel to it, and seems like a completely different car. I have a Z28 A4 Vert and a 02 Z06, both are close to stock. I know that I am comparing both ends of the spectrum, but the Vette is so much faster and has scary turning limits. You may not be able to pick up on the difference when you are testing driving the cars, but once your are familiar the difference is striking.

CarGuy91
10-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Buy both and have the best of both worlds!

Lol. Maybe I just will!

CarGuy91
10-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Another problem is that I also found an 04 Cobra that I like. Has 40k miles with some work done to it. Dunno if I want to go Terminator or LS1.

Z28Z06
10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Another problem is that I also found an 04 Cobra that I like. Has 40k miles with some work done to it. Dunno if I want to go Terminator or LS1.

Get off the drugs Car Guy. :lol:

CarGuy91
10-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Get off the drugs Car Guy. :lol:

Lol. Well whether it be Term or Ls1, they're both good engines. I'm not really one of those brand specific guys. As long as it looks good, runs good, and has potential I'll drive it. :drive:

Ironembraced
10-19-2011, 11:12 PM

If you keep your nose clean and insure the vette as a pleasure vehicle, with multicar discount... you can get insurance dirt cheap.

I pay $1200 a year for full coverage on 2 cheap cars and a 1998 vette through Geico. Just tell them you "plan" to put under 3k on it and you don't drive it to work. They won't keep tabs on you.

BayRunnerWS6
10-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Man I'm callin geico tomorrow.

Ironembraced
10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Man I'm callin geico tomorrow.

I don't encourage dishonesty....my assessment of 3k miles per year was actually an honest guess on my part. But like I said...they told me they would never keep tabs on my mileage.

Cheap insurance is out there...just gotta work the system :D

NVUSZ28
10-20-2011, 02:34 AM

I hate it when I hear this. If you're paying more for insurance because it's a Corvette, then you're with the wrong insurance company. I know not everyone can have awesome insurance in USAA, but when I was looking at buying a C5 or an F-Body, the insurance was the same.

WhiteHawk489
10-21-2011, 07:23 PM
as with what others have said vette prob has a bit of an edge but a lil more $$$. with the extra $$$ u save buying an fbody u can get bolt-ons to make it compete/beat the vette + a lil bit of the sleeper factor cause everyone expects a vette to be fast. also in my neck of he woods vettes are a dime a dozen but fbodies, EXPECIALLY Firebirds, are hard to come by and personally i hate "Me Too" cars. i. e. "u have a mustang?.... ME TOO!" :doublepuk

thats why i got this! vvvvvv Good luck, u cant really go wrong

Paul Huizenga
10-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I will trade the time it takes to swap a clutch in a C5 against the PITA of changing plugs in an F-body any day... :-) Hopefully you do the clutch once in a Corvette and you're done, but it seems like everything is a struggle under the hood of a Firebird or Camaro.

HMERacing
10-21-2011, 09:52 PM
If you buy an fbody now, you WILL want a vette later! If you can find a clean vette for the right price, buy it!

SM105K
10-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Corvette's are a pain in the fuckin ass to work on..9.5 hours to change a clutch..fck that.

Like it isn't a bitch to work on an F-Body.

projectX
10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
F-Body = Cheap to buy and upgrade. Vette = Expensive to buy and insure + I believe they have independent rear suspension which sucks for drag racing.

Ironembraced
10-22-2011, 03:34 PM
F-Body = Cheap to buy and upgrade. Vette = Expensive to buy and insure + I believe they have independent rear suspension which sucks for drag racing.

Vette is not expensive to buy if you get an older model C5. And like I mentioned earlier, you can get your insurance cheaper than $100 a month if you are at least in your early 20's and motivated enough to call around and take advantage of all the discounts.

I've owned all 3... camaro / transam / corvette.

the_merv
10-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Like it isn't a bitch to work on an F-Body.

Easier than a Vette..lol..

projectX
10-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Vette is not expensive to buy if you get an older model C5. And like I mentioned earlier, you can get your insurance cheaper than $100 a month if you are at least in your early 20's and motivated enough to call around and take advantage of all the discounts.

I've owned all 3... camaro / transam / corvette.

A C5 corvette cost more than an F-Body always - unless you are selling a modded F-body - I am talking stock to stock they are not the same price.

Ironembraced
10-22-2011, 04:58 PM
A C5 corvette cost more than an F-Body always - unless you are selling a modded F-body - I am talking stock to stock they are not the same price.

Very true, but most of the "cheap" stock Fbodys out there have high miles and have been abused by a teenager.

Vettes are more likely to have spent its life as a garage queen, prime for some abuse and new mods.

Nick V.
10-22-2011, 05:09 PM
put it this way, if you want more comfort get a vette. if you want to feel a bit wilder get the maro.

the maro can also carry two more people/groceries, tvs and etc

projectX
10-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Very true, but most of the "cheap" stock Fbodys out there have high miles and have been abused by a teenager.

Vettes are more likely to have spent its life as a garage queen, prime for some abuse and new mods.

I agree :nod:

WhiteKnight '01
10-25-2011, 08:00 PM
I like the Camaro/Trans Am due to the extra room. I use my backseat a lot, have lugged some friends around in it too, but mostly I put my stuff back there when going to work, traveling, shopping, whatever. The Corvette will get more looks I think, but nothing looks more muscular and aggressive than a Trans Am WS6 IMO.

CarGuy91
10-29-2011, 04:31 AM
All of these are good thoughts, and I appreciate the input guys!

retired cop
10-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Traded my 6 speed Formula for a low mileage C5. The vette handles better and I get lots of compliments on it. It only had 15000 miles on it and was garage kept. But now that I want to mod I wish I had the Formula the stuff is a lot less money. The driving experience on the open road with the vette is real nice. The thing glides along at extreme speeds I call it my silver bullet. If u get the vette find a good Corvette shop STAY AWAY from the dealer !!

redramair98
10-30-2011, 09:39 PM
I owned many f bodies and a c6 now, i am building another f body, kind of comparing two different things, you will get a lot of haters though driving a vette and stupid comments from people

xFormulax
10-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Well i can honestly say that the corvette is an overall better car. I have a 98 formula and my dad has a 04 corvette. My car has a Cat-back, intake, free mods, and a basic tune from a hand held. My dads corvette is completely stock with 8k miles on it. When we go cruising the vette can out corner me no matter what. It has to do with the trans being in the back and the 2 section gas tank and the leaf spring in the back. The vette has awesome weight distribution. Now when we "race" he gets me in the top end because hes lighter. Both cars are A4s as well. I drove both and i got to say you get what you pay for in a vette.