My Camaro is hurting badly...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Camaro is hurting badly...

Hi y'all!

I have a '99 Camaro SS and I need y'alls help. I've been having the following issues with the car:

1. Rough Idle:

When I drive the car for a while on the highway or even regular road (at least 20 mile trips), and then ahve to stop at a light, or stop sign, the car feels like it's choking for air and sputters. After maybe a minute or so it goes back to somewhat normal, but never really completely "normal". I was tolde on several sites that this could be the MAF, and I had the codes pulled at Autozone, they came out for MAF, and O2 sensors. Some folks also said it could be dirty fuel injectors etc. How would I go about this the best way, and where could I have this looked at? I am refusing to go to Chevy, Firestone, Sears or any other "known" shop.

2. My suspension seems to need work:

I have bought Moog tie rods (outer and inner) because EliteSnipez (member here) suggested those. Anybody know of a reputable shop that could help me with those as well? I know of SpeedTek in Haltom City or True Street in McKinney, but never been there. What is the best way to go about getting this stuff done?

3. Noise and leak from back end (differential?):

I have a leak on the center and right side of the rear axle. The left is fine. I was told by Firestone it was a leak from the differential and that the gasket needs replacing, they said the seals aren not good, possibly the whole setup. Again, I have no clue about any of this and need help.

4. I cannot turn on my high beams:

When I pull the lever, the lever is loose and there is no clicking noise that would indicte the high beams are on. It is getting increasingly difficult to see at night and I have no idea how to fix it.

So If anyone can help me and explain this in plain American, so even I can understand it, please do so as soon as possible. I am running out of time before winter sets in.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Clean the MAF and replace the o2's, if it is throwing a code for those then that is definitely your rough idle problem. I do not know of any shops in your area, so can't help ya with #2 or 3, and #4 I very rarely even use my high beams so I don't see the big deal really, I can see fine with the lows.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

Try the easy stuff, like clean the MAF and use some injector cleaner, then bring it by the shop if you would like it properly diagnosed. Avoid Firestone, they upsell you a lot and mark up parts 300%.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runepenrod
Hi y'all!

4. I cannot turn on my high beams:

When I pull the lever, the lever is loose and there is no clicking noise that would indicte the high beams are on. It is getting increasingly difficult to see at night and I have no idea how to fix it.

I have the same problem with my lever! Except my high beams won't turn off
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Teching In

I figured as much. The codes were throwing for the sensors and MAF, I have the sensors, just don't know which MAF to get, stock or aftermarket. But then again which brand for both stock or aftermarket?The MAF, even after extensive cleaning (did not touch the wires inside), seems not to work.

@Affordable, you take appointments on Saturdays?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

I figured as much. The codes were throwing for the sensors and MAF, I have the sensors, just don't know which MAF to get, stock or aftermarket. But then again which brand for both stock or aftermarket?The MAF, even after extensive cleaning (did not touch the wires inside), seems not to work.

@Affordable, you take appointments on Saturdays?
Keep the stock MAF to save money.... if you want to really spend the money well get it tuned for speed density and get rid of the damn thing. No more problems. As for the O2 sensors same fix with the tune.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Keep the stock MAF to save money.... if you want to really spend the money well get it tuned for speed density and get rid of the damn thing. No more problems. As for the O2 sensors same fix with the tune.
Get rid of what? How much does a tune cost? I am like a newborn, know nothing about this stuff.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:42 PM

For the high beam issue sounds like you just need to change the switch depends on how chevrolet sells the part maybe the entire combination switch if not just the light switch. Another option would be to get a HID conversion kit. I have it on my car and it made a ton of difference and was only 60 dollars from a friends shop.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Get rid of what? How much does a tune cost? I am like a newborn, know nothing about this stuff.
You would get rid of the MAF altogether..Same thing with the 02's you tune them out.

Like so below.. My old setup

Old 10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
Adjust your highbeam switch. It's behind the dash on the column, it has slotted holes. this happened on my 94, took a few minutes and they work fine again.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
I remember having that problem on my camaro, changing the tilt angle helped it work until i was able to replace the switch.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Teching In

How is all this with passing inspections? Mine is due in January. I was told without proper setup, no pass. I have long tube headers and no cats on it.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Adjust your highbeam switch. It's behind the dash on the column, it has slotted holes. this happened on my 94, took a few minutes and they work fine again.
could u go into more detail please?

to the OP, something inside your high beam stalk might be broken. check it out. i believe there are access panels that you can remove to have a peak inside. i believe that what is going on with my car. i cant get the high beams to click on.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go to auto zone, pull ur codes and post them on here so we r not throwing our dicks down a train tunnel.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Please enlighten me, speed density gets rid of the o2's? Since when? Speed density gets rid of maf and relies on map, but o2's are still in use unless you have an open loop sd tune which is probably not the case. You can tune the back o'2 out when you get rid of cats because all they do is monitor catalyst.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man the best words of advice i can give ya is stay away from places like firestone, they charge way to much , try and find a local member that works on cars in your area, honest not knowing much and going into a repair shop can be very expensive, 2 things i was told if your going to mess with cars, 1. have some buds that can help you out from time to time, and 2. learn something !!! it sucks spending more on labor than you do for parts,
Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Launching!

I am having the same problem but mine is running to lean am gna replace the o2s
Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Teching In

See this is not what I wanted. I need help. All I am getting is differences of opinion and I am yet again getting confused. I don't have any buddies that could help. Met a guy at the state fair this past weekend bit he canceled on me. Then I get all these different places the want to help me. I have no clue about any of this. I need honest help here. If someone really wants to help an honest LS1 owner, call me at 469-450-9707.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
go to auto zone, pull ur codes and post them on here so we r not throwing our dicks down a train tunnel.
P0155 Heater condition (Heated oxygen sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0141 Heater condition (Heated oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0135 Heater condition (Heated oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0102 (Man, absolute pressure) /BARO or MAF /VAF (Vane Air Flow) sensor condition.

Those are the codes.

I must mention: I have long tube headers, and no cats.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sensor 1 on both sides is gonna make it run like ***. start with changing your o2 sensors just the front 2.

as for the p0102 that is the other half of it running like that your gonna need to clean your maf with with electric cleaner, for a start. if nothing effects that then changing the map sensor is the next step, which requires you to pull the intake.

if you need a map sensor or maf just shoot me a pm i have spares of both as well as hp tuners if u can make the drive from plano. let us knw wat happens

Quick Reply: My Camaro is hurting badly...