Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals with Cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default True Duals with Cutouts?

Has anyone done true duals with dual electric cutouts? I was looking into sidepipes, but my SFC are really in the way. My second choice is to do true duals exiting the rear with two polished stainless z28 tips in the center, mounted CME style.

I plan on this:
Pacesetter LTs > 3" Carsound Cats > H crossover pipe > 2.5" McCord cutouts > 2.5" x 16" Dunomax Bullets > True duals over the rear axle and out the center.

I plan on moving the cutouts and bullet mufflers as close to the rear axle as possible, while the H crossover pipe will be as close to the rear cats as possible. The more seperation, the more it should improve scavaging with the cutouts open, correct? Let me know what you guys think of this setup.

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 03-10-2004, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't go with an H pipe its basically for sound and minor pressure balancing. Go with a blended x-pipe as it will actually perform better. Cutouts would be a waste of money in my opinion as long as you get mandrel bends, no cats and the bullets you should flow really well. I would think the cutouts would only flow slighty more over the full system...but that's my opinion.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I need to run cats, so i figured id run some 3" carsounds. I assume the 3" should flow better than the 2.5", albeit at a slightly reduced efficiency due to the lower velocity. My reasoning for running dual cutouts is so that I can go from the medium growl of the dual bullet mufflers to the angry scream of the open cutouts. Im not really doing the cutouts for added power - only for LOUD. I do want the increased scavaging with the cutouts open if for nothing more than a little insurance that I wont lose any power with the cutouts open. On the street, intimidation if a huge part of the battle. There are times when I want the car to sound nasty, but I dont want to lose performance by opening the cutouts (decreased scavaging).

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 03-10-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

check my sig
Old 03-10-2004, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Well if you are going with non-removable cats then go with the cutouts to run em open and loud. Again, don't go with the H-pipe...I am sure most will agree as they don't scavenge near as well as the x-pipes.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fierce-LS1
check my sig
Fierce, I just took a look at your webshots page - Nice work there! How do you like your setup? It dosnt look like you have an x pipe or other equilizer, do you?

Thanks,
-T
Old 03-10-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cutouts are for one....Retarded on duals and kill the whole purpose of dual exhaust with an X. And two a waste of time and money. Bullets are loud enough to most people. Cutouts arent going to gain you anything but more importantly lose powr on duals after the X. I build these things everyday and I know a little bit about whats good and whats not.

My old setup was Hooker LT's with 3" X system and Flo - Pro twister mufflers.

The new setup is Edelbrock LT's with 3.5" setup and Flo - Pro twister mufflers. The E-brocks are a stepped header and I picked up 40 rwtq from 3500-5700 over my old setup. I have learned that you CAN NOT over exhaust a stock CI LS1. My car is a cam only and nitrous setup. Stock heads, stock cubes, etc. Specs on the cam are 227/234 579/581 116lsa

Mike
Old 03-10-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I currently have a 3" bullet and while i love the way it sounds, there are certain days where I wish I had alot more volume. I realise that Having cutouts directly behind the X pipe will hurt performance, however If you re-read the original post, I proposed to put the cutouts as far behind the H pipe, X pipe, or equilizer tube. Now with the webshots page from fierce-ls1, I now think I can mount the bullet mufflers after the rear axle. This will allow me to put the cutouts right before the rear axle. With the x pipe right after the cats and the cutouts right before the rear axle, this should provide plenty of scavaging. The uncapped cutouts are now in essence the same as dumps before the rear axle. For those times when I need the exhaust to be slightly more civilized, close the cutouts, and the exhaust is router over the rear axle and through the bullets and out the rear. Im looking for versitility here, not just power.

Please dont judge me by my post count here. Im really not an LS1 newb.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

What did you finally wind up doing?...I will be putting two bullets after the header then two street pro electric cutouts. This will give me really loud somedays and quite (4 mufflers) other days