Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crap what do I do now..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Crap what do I do now..

So I'm changing the very last valve spring on my car when I hear pssshhhhhh... sure enough the valve dropped. But, not to worry, I have the engine pretty close to TDC.
Not close enough to TDC it seems. The valve hasn't dropped into the piston, it's still in the head, but it's too far in to get out with a pen magnet.
I try going thru the spark plug, but it's the intake valve on the very far passenger side, and the angle won't work for getting to the intake, only the exhaust.
So I pull the intake manifold, I can see the valve, it's right there. But I can't reach it with my fingers, how do I get it back up? I tried a coat hanger.. but that was pointless.
I'm pretty much ready to yank the dam head, but I thought I'd post on here first for any better ideas.
ideas??

Last edited by IRONFIST; 10-23-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you carefully rotate the harmonic balancer so the piston goes up and push it? Or it's not low enough?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
So I pull the intake manifold, I can see the valve, it's right there. But I can't reach it with my fingers, how do I get it back up? I tried a coat hanger.. but that was pointless. I'm pretty much ready to yank the dam head, but I thought I'd post on here first for any better ideas. ideas??
Do you have a some long tipped needle nose pliers? If not, maybe go borrow or buy one.

Wrap some black electrical tape over the tips and see if you can grab the stem of the valve and push it back up into the head. Have someone ready to grab the stem when it comes out the valve guide on the spring side.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
Did you carefully rotate the harmonic balancer so the piston goes up and push it? Or it's not low enough?
I don't think I'd try that until other avenues are tried. The valve angle could be such, and depending on how far down the valve is, could just put side load into the valve and jam it up even more.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The valve is resting against the piston for sure, I haven't turned the balancer because I'm afraid that the piston might be on its way down... if that's the case the valve will fall in even further.

How can I check to see if the piston is on its way up or down?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Do you have a some long tipped needle nose pliers? If not, maybe go borrow or buy one.

Wrap some black electrical tape over the tips and see if you can grab the stem of the valve and push it back up into the head. Have someone ready to grab the stem when it comes out the valve guide on the spring side.
I'll go buy some of these right now and report back.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
How can I check to see if the piston is on its way up or down?
50/50 chance. All you could do is have someone carefully watch the valve to see if it lowers or raises as someone SLOWLY turns the crank.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I don't think I'd try that until other avenues are tried. The valve angle could be such, and depending on how far down the valve is, could just put side load into the valve and jam it up even more.
Yeah, nevermind, maybe a thin magnet?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, nevermind, maybe a thin magnet?
Yes, if he could find a magnet small enough to stick down the valve guide, then that would probably work too.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, that sucks...long needle nose pliers are the ticket i'm betting.
why the valve spring upgrade? are we gonna get a new cam first start vid?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Get a pencil flathead screwdriver (one small enough to stick down the valve guide, and long enough to hit the tip of the valve), and stick a magnet on the side of the screwdriver shaft. This should magnetize the tip enough to pull the valve back up.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or if you have a long nail handy make it magnetic.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got it back up, and tried to get the new springs on.. but no luck yet. I'm using the comp cams tool which works great, except for this last cylinder.
I can't see past it to see if the clips are in right, or if the spring is lined up right. I find myself using my camera to take pictures, and then look at the pictures to make sure everything is straight.
There isn't enough day light right now to finish the job, but I will try tomorrow.
Changing valve springs while the head is on the engine has to be the most frustrating thing I've done with my car. I think I'd rather have paid a shop to do it...
Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll get it just keep at it, you should be able to feel the second lock snap in. Get a good light so you can see it better.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If your valve dropped that far you aren't doing the TDC method correctly. Be very careful in the future.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
If your valve dropped that far you aren't doing the TDC method correctly. Be very careful in the future.
Yah I got lucky.. everything worked out and the cars running.
Needs a tune though
Old 10-25-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've found that when using air, the piston needs to be almost exactly on TDC or the pressure will spin the motor over...