New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 99 Trans Am, order of upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post Stock 99 Trans Am, order of upgrades?

Hi All! New to LS1Tech!

I read through the forum "So You Wanna Be Fast..." & I had a few questions, (Very Informative BTW).

First off I have a 99 Trans Am WS6 BONE STOCK w/ 109,xxx miles.

What would you do first when it comes to upgrades?
I saw an aftermarket Lid was very highly emphasized so I'll shoot for that first, but after that, any recommendations on where to go?

Not looking to do a turbo or supercharger.

Just minor bolt-ons or tuning.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Well, the usual next step after (or with) a lid would be an exhaust. Your options range from a cutout (manual or electric) in the stock system, to a muffler swap or full catback, to a complete system including headers.

Before you make changes to the exhaust forward of the cats, make sure you understand what type of emissions testing you have in your area (if you have any at all), and what you can get away with.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just purchased the car, make sure you start up with all the proper maintenance. Change ALL the fluids, fuel filter, plugs + wires also if you're not doing headers right away. Are you A4 or M6? Also look up the "free mods" and do whichever of those you prefer.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
If you just purchased the car, make sure you start up with all the proper maintenance. Change ALL the fluids, fuel filter, plugs + wires also if you're not doing headers right away. Are you A4 or M6? Also look up the "free mods" and do whichever of those you prefer.
can't stress this enough.

Do a tuneup first, then your free mods. You don't know the previous owner's habits. Get his old oil out of there, his cheapy oil filter, get new plugs n wires, pop off the Tb and clean it up from the EGR crud coated on the back, clean the MAF and the IAC, replace the fuel filter.

My next move as far as mods from that point is a lid.

Lids are fairly inexpensive in terms of the cost of most of the mods for these cars, so if you want to make that part of your tune-up I don't see where that's a problem.

Honestly.. I haven't gotten one yet.. but I find it REALLY hard to believe that an air intake lid makes any significant difference.

We'll see tho. Mine's on order.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

You won't fill anything really from the lid alone.

But lid combined with TB, intake, headers will be noticable.

Only thing I could tell form lid was maybe a quicker throttle response.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm actually in the process of purchasing the vehicle, it will be mine on the 15th of November.
I actually drove it for maybe an hour on Saturday, (Handled very well), its a 1-Owner at 109,000 miles.

Its an A4. - I'll definitely swap everything out and start with a clean slate :]
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Yeah I would like to get a lid, then do a cat-back exhaust.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

at 109k miles, may as well save up a bit moer and do full exhaust. New headers, catted Y, and muffler setup.

Cats are right around the corner at that mileage for goin out and you'll pick up some power with the swap, even if it is a bit of a pita to do. A shop can probably do it for ya for not TOO much if you bring em the parts. that's what I plan to do.. cept.. I don't want a loud exhaust note..

I figured as much on the lid. Just an air baffle.. won't make any real difference.. still.. if it's easier to remove then that's something I suppose.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being its an A4, my first modification would be to upgrade the Torque Converter.

I don't have any experience with this modification (my car is an M6), but everything I've read on this site has me confident that this will be the first thing I do to my future Convertible A4 T/A.

An aftermarket converter is supposed to take a stock F-body and turn it into a ridiculously fun car.

Air Lid, and Catback would be some easy first mods, but before going any further, I would seriously consider looking into a Converter.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you do a converter do a cooler too. a cooler is a good idea for longevity no matter what really..

I looked into converters, didn't seem like a lot of fun to me for a DD, but I haven't gotten all that serious about transmission mods yet. (I'm sure I'm wrong on this somehow.. but when I've seen videos of people driving on converters it's like watching someone pour wine down the drain, needless revving for bumper to bumper traffic..)
Old 10-31-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A torque converter eh? Maybe you should enlighten me on this?..

Seeing as google didn't help too much haha
Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
but I find it REALLY hard to believe that an air intake lid makes any significant difference.
Why? For the last decade +, there has been dyno after dyno that shows between 7-13rwhp gains for a lid alone. This shouldn't be hard to believe after all the years of test data and results available around the internet.

at 109k miles, may as well save up a bit moer and do full exhaust. New headers, catted Y, and muffler setup.

Cats are right around the corner at that mileage for goin out and you'll pick up some power with the swap, even if it is a bit of a pita to do.
Cats, in generall, are never "right around the corner" of failuer at any set mileage. It's true that the '00-'02 cars have a TSB for this issue, but an inefficient cat is only a problem if you have to take a sniffer test. This will not hurt performance in any way unless the cat starts to melt and clog (usually the result of very poor A/F mixture), which is not the same as becoming inefficient.

I figured as much on the lid. Just an air baffle.. won't make any real difference..
Yes, it will. Over a decade of dyno and track data has proven this. I can't stress that enough. We are talking about a 7-13rwhp gain here, so you can't expect to "feel" much, but that doesn't mean that the reults won't be visable at the track or on the dyno. You have to do much more serious mods to really feel a difference in the driver's seat, but that doesn't mean that the little stuff won't add up.

Air lid + good catback is usually good for as much as ~15-20rwhp.

I looked into converters, didn't seem like a lot of fun to me for a DD
It's a great mod, even for a DD, if you're looking for drastically better performance from your A4 car. You don't have to put a 4500 stall into a stock DD. You can do a 3000-3500, and after about a week of driving you'll get used to it and around town driving will feel as natural as stock, but all the gains will still be there.

On the highway, or any time you're in lock-up, it will behave 100% stock, with zero loss of MPG or any change in driving feel at all.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, my lid came in today and after some uh.. creative engineering (space heater+rubber hammer=maf finally fits.. slp lid..) it's in.

I'll have a report on it soon.

I've done "air intake" kits before on other cars. I mean the stock lid must be AWFUL if we get more than 1HP at the flexplate from it, much less at the wheels.

either way, it's a good supporting mod, and it's fairly easy to do, so I think it's a good place to start your mods after your tuneup.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Yank ss3600 stall well worth it! I went with pacesetter ceramic coated headers tsp y pipe, fast 102mm intake manifold and bigmouth 92mm throttle body. Also getting ready to cam and heads swap, est over 420hp after tune. Def go with a new intake manifold and thottle body amazing response(ls6 or fast 102mm)
Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
A torque converter eh? Maybe you should enlighten me on this?..

Seeing as google didn't help too much haha
Without any real world experience, I'm not much of an authority to be giving advice. But there are plenty who do have experience. Try running your search here...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission-13/

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Launching!

If you can fork out the money, Id go with the obvious air lid, Long tubes with a catted Y pipe if you have to have cats, catback of your choice, being its a 99 id start looking for an LS6 intake manifold as well. All of those with a proper tune should get you somewhere between 315 to 330 at the rear wheels, being an A4 probably more so on the lower end. Im a M6 guy so i really have no advice on stalls but youd probably want one of those as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Is a slp maf and ported tb worth using if I can find both parts for under 80dollars?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet lots of good information guys!

Well, I guess from what I've been reading before doing mods do a Tune-up, change fluids, etc.
THEN = Lid -> Cat-back exhaust.

Any recommendations for cat-back exhaust?
I prefer something with a "throatier" sound to it, I do like SLP loudmouths but don't want something that loud
Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been chewing on that very thing lately.

My AIr pump is throwing P0410 and I'm sick of the orange light staring me in the face. I want the air pump and EGR gone. Best way tod o that and benefit? LT/Y pipe, catback.

it's pricey.. I really like the corsa system's LOOK.. but not the sound. I'd much prefer to keep the sound stock really.. but I want the power benefit.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Launching!

I went with SLP loudmouth II which is louder than the loud mouth I...as long as your not romping on it any areas you shouldnt be...you wont have a problem with local PD. If money is not a issue I would go with KOOKS long tubes, KOOKs true duels all the way back. I went with pacesetter ceramic coated long tubes, TSP Y-pipe and the slp cat back which is plenty good.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D14HUGGER.ORANGE
I went with SLP loudmouth II which is louder than the loud mouth I...as long as your not romping on it any areas you shouldnt be...you wont have a problem with local PD. If money is not a issue I would go with KOOKS long tubes, KOOKs true duels all the way back. I went with pacesetter ceramic coated long tubes, TSP Y-pipe and the slp cat back which is plenty good.
How much was your setup? I would sure hope the Loudmouth would be loud however XD

Quick Reply: Stock 99 Trans Am, order of upgrades?