Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please

Well guys, I thought I had it all figured out when I decided to Enlist in the Air Force. I signed my DEP contract on 8/18/11, and was told I should be leaving by the end of January. Well, my recuiter wound up being switched over to a MEPS liason and I got put into another recruiters DEP roster with WAY more people. Now i found out it may be next spring before I even find out what job i can get and then atleast another 3+ months on top of that. At the same time I found that out, I also found out my Fiancee (getting married in December) who is in Pharmacy school with 2 years might not be able to get a job when we get relocated because she has to pass a different certification for each state. This could wind up being a problem considering she will have 150k+ in debt upon graduating with her degree. While I found all of this out I got a call from a local Air National Guard recruiter who offered me a spot doing Air Traffic Control out of McEntire in Columbia, SC which is only 25 minutes from my house. Air Traffic Control is one of the jobs that I really wouldn't mind, especially if I am working on the civillian side (very good pay). My question is given the situation that I am in, would it be best to stay in DEP and go Active Duty or would it be better to go ahead and go ANG? Just for reference I am also 20 years old with 2.5 years done of a college degree, so finishing my degree is something that I really want to do. I also hope to get into OTS and become an officer at some point.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Navy did this exact same **** to me when I was your age. I signed up in Nov.06 and passed the asvab with a 96 afqt. I was told the good ole', you can any job you want. I chose OS or IS. Now I wanted a job and wanted to leave quick cuz I wasnt doing anything with my life. I was told fine you can leave in january. Once I got down to MEPs, I took the physical, did all the paperwork, but when it came time to sign on a MOS or rate I was told both OS and IS were unavailable. I was pissed but had to take IT in the meantime till something came up. Then to make it worse I was given a ship date of Aug. 07. So I swear in. As I wait to be shipped I still have to be in contact with the recruiters. They use Friday's as PT for DEPers and such as a way to keep contact. On our way to Pt I over hear them talking bout me. They are going to switch my rate and ship date. They are like it doesnt matter I'm smart and will be able to adapt. And someother **** that really wasnt cool, made me feel like a #. So when they bring the switch to me it was Nuclear Subs Tech. and ship date was Jan. 08 now. I said **** it, seperated from duty, and found a 50k/year job two weeks later, that I been on ever since.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, that is the one thing that has me worried. I definitely want to go into the military, but I don't want to get screwed over either. I scored a 90 on the ASVAB and none of my line scores were below a 89. They basically told me to pick a job and I could have it. The only thing is, with the AF they ask you to list 3-8 jobs at MEPS that you would take and then months later they will assign you one of them along with a ship date. With me only having 1.5 years left to finish my degree, I am almost tempted to tell them that I will just finish the degree and come back afterwards. The only downside is that the military already has too many people and they aren't necessarily hurting for new recruits so I feel kind of lucky to have already been accepted into DEP.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, if I were in your shoes, I'd jump all over the ANG spot right there at home, finish the degree, and find a good OSO to help you become an officer...life will be so much easier with brass on your collar
Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

ANG and finish the degree. Officer is a different world, and its a no brainer that its the better career path.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

So ANG seems to be the unanimous decision. To top it all off, last might when I got home she said she was considering joining the AF also so she could have her loans paid for and be an officer. I'm not sure how serious she is about it, but she wants to talk to a recruiter. So I guess that will play a big part in my decision.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

AF is cutting officer slots as we write this, do your homework. Budget axe is looming. I am retired USAF. don't think the ANG job won't deploy to war zone either. Good luck on becoming an officer after enlisting, not easy, competition is severe, and honestly, prior enlisted officers are always second class officers.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I just found out that I booked my number one job choice for active duty AF. I'll be a loadmaster. So I think I'm going to go ahead and enlist.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

You know what a loadmaster does? Sits on a colds *** or hot *** plane all the friggin' time. Hope you don't plan on having a relationship with a wife or fiance'. Cool but it gets old. Real old. And no frequent flyer miles either...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Her brother is a C-17 pilot so she knows how much I'll be gone. I hope it doesn't suck too bad, I've always been told its a sweet job.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by big johhny
AF is cutting officer slots as we write this, do your homework. Budget axe is looming. I am retired USAF. don't think the ANG job won't deploy to war zone either. Good luck on becoming an officer after enlisting, not easy, competition is severe, and honestly, prior enlisted officers are always second class officers.
Seriously? Why do you say they are second class?

I can only speak for my careerfield and the prior enlisted infantry officers I've worked with in the Army but I don't think this is the case at all. I've seen some, I'll speak frankly here, ASSHATS, as Es and Os, both prior enlisted and straight commissioned on the O side. Far and large though, the enlisted men who've commissioned that I know, and its a lot, are great officers. They get in the weeds with us and they know exactly how to take care of the men they lead because they've been in those shoes. They are often more dynamic leaders and bring to the table the knowledge they groomed as enlisted men with the professionalism they are now fostering as officers and do very well at leading. They do well at mentoring and motivating young enlisted men. They remember what it was like to be there and use their rank to fight the battles that keep productivity and moral high.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have always been told that enlisted men prefer officers that are previously enlisted because they know what it's like. I'm hoping to do 4 years enlisted and then have my degree finished and go to OTS. I know it may not happen, but I'm gonna try to make it happen.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

The best advice I can give you is: go for it. I've been on both the AD and ANG side. Both traditional and AGR in the ANG. Of all of it, ANG has been the best experience.

Don't let life get in the way of you finishing your degree. (I did). Make a deal with yourself and hold yourself to it. There are lots of schools that work with the military. Verify that you can continue with your degree through whichever you choose and that your degree will be a respected one. The last comment meaning that some of the online schools issue you a degree but make sure that the school is accredited however you will need it for your degree to be useful.

Good luck to you. Keep motivated and get trained. Learn all you can so that you can put yourself in a position to get that degree finished.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm hoping I can get it finished fairly quickly. I'll be flying a lot from what I understand, but I should still have sometime for online classes. In all honesty I have 6 years to finish it before I'm pushing the OTS age limit, so I if I can manage 3 classes a year minimum I should be fine.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm looking forward to starting this chapter of my life.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
I definitely want to go into the military, but I don't want to get screwed over either.
You'll get used to getting screwed over, trust me. You're just a body in the military, some more important than others, but in the end they do not mind screwing you because there is always someone willing to take oath and replace you. With that said, I enjoy it. Shame promotions are becoming near impossible because I'd make a career out of it.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
So ANG seems to be the unanimous decision. To top it all off, last might when I got home she said she was considering joining the AF also so she could have her loans paid for and be an officer. I'm not sure how serious she is about it, but she wants to talk tle to a recruiter. So I guess that will play a big part in my decision.
I don't think the AF has student loan repayment. They offer some bonuses , but I think that is it. I would definitely go the ANG route and finish your degree. Staying home will benefit both of you and if she is a pharmacist then she should be able to support both of you while you finish school. Now if she could join the AF active duty as an officer then you can be a stay at home spouse and finish college wherever she gets stationed.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
I don't think the AF has student loan repayment. They offer some bonuses , but I think that is it. I would definitely go the ANG route and finish your degree. Staying home will benefit both of you and if she is a pharmacist then she should be able to support both of you while you finish school. Now if she could join the AF active duty as an officer then you can be a stay at home spouse and finish college wherever she gets stationed.
The AF does have student loan repayment programs. Just make sure that what ever she gets told is in writing!