Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 SS A4 vs. supercharged Roush

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 SS A4 vs. supercharged Roush

Let me start this out by saying that I no pretty much squat about mustangs, so detailed questions I probably can't answer. All I know is that it was one of the newer retro-bodied ones, it was a supercharged Roush, and it was a manual.

I was cruising home from work today on the interstate, and what do I see but a newer mustang (blue with white stripes) in front of me with an aftermarket spoiler and an exhaust. I sped up to get a closer look (and hopefully get a race out of it... I'm not going to lie ), and what do I see but the word "Roush" inlaid into the rear bumper. I dropped it out of overdrive and cruised slowly up next to him and held it for a second, hoping that the sound of my retard-loud exhaust would rile him up enough for a race. I looked over and held up a three... No reaction. I shrugged it off and put it back in OD, and sped up to 80 and set cruise control. About 20-30 seconds later, I see a blue hood in the corner of my eye. I glanced over, and it was the Mustang, hovering next to me. He held it for a few seconds, and as soon as I started to glance over to signal it off, he punched it. He obviously got the hit, and by the time I buried the pedal, he was about 3/4 of a car ahead of me. He wound up with about a length on me until my car got moving, and we held even like that until about 100. At 110 he had pulled another nose on me, and then at around 115 or so I started gaining on him. At first a little, then a pretty good bit. Around 125 or so, I glance over for a second, and I spot white lettering on the side of his hood that says "Roushcharged" or something like that. When we shut it down at around 150 (upcoming traffic), I had taken back my length and a nose and put another length or so on him.

As far as details on my car, the skinny of it is H/C/I, LT's, 3in X-pipe, 4000 stall, and 4.10 gears. If you want to know more, just ask, and I'll post it up.

Any thoughts?

I would have loved to have finished out 4th, just to see
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Good kill, sounds like it was a stock internal sc 4.6 probably running 8-9psi.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Good kill - Well, my neighbor has an 05 Roush stage 3 - they are the only that come stock supercharged and he runs a 12.9 on street tires with only a K&N filter. (His is show room)
Old 11-03-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Musta been a 5.0 to hang like that. Good run!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 AM
***Repost Police***

Any power/et numbers for your car? A Stage 3 wouldn't be anywhere near you, and even a 427R would be hard pressed to hang that close to an h/c/i LS1. Whatever he had, good run.

Edit: It could be a new 5.0 stage 3... I was thinking about the 4.6s.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Good kill.

YA might been a new STage 3. They have 540hp. Just a tick behind the GT500.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nope, no numbers on my car yet. I'm waiting until I can put on my new fast, bigger maf, 100mm lid, and fuel setup. still on stock injectors and pump so I run out of fuel up top. I have a racetronix pump and some 42lb injectors waiting to go on... saving up money for the tune. I also need to clean my air filter BAD. it's crudded up with dust from parking in a gravel lot every day at work. I also want to run a little seafoam through it. I'm running really rich at idle, so I've probably got some carbon buildup on the valves.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by roninsonic
nope, no numbers on my car yet. I'm waiting until I can put on my new fast, bigger maf, 100mm lid, and fuel setup. still on stock injectors and pump so I run out of fuel up top. I have a racetronix pump and some 42lb injectors waiting to go on... saving up money for the tune. I also need to clean my air filter BAD. it's crudded up with dust from parking in a gravel lot every day at work. I also want to run a little seafoam through it. I'm running really rich at idle, so I've probably got some carbon buildup on the valves.

Holy ****. Stop beating on it...I just did heads and a bigger cam and I was at 104% duty cycle at only 5k rpms. That's with a Walbro and the 28# stock injectors.

"run out of fuel up top" is a huge understatement
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

was it the '10 and newer body style? i know a guy with a blue 5xr roush and it put over 550 to the wheels, it's a very nice car.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Are you sure it was supercharged? There are 3 stages of the roush package on those mustangs, and ALOT of dumb people put "roushcharged" on there cars just because it says roush on it. Body kit, suspension, brakes and exhaust, than supercharged. They push out about what a stock 5.0 does today if your talking about the 05-09 body...
Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think it was a 2010+ but im not sure. If he wasn't supercharged, he was spraying.. that's the closest race I've had against a car since I got the car, that's why I brought it to SRK. I eat the new 5.0's for breakfast and have room for desert.

and as far as the beating on it without fuel thing, i have an adjustable fpr. pressure was raised when it was tuned to attempt to compensate for the injectors... shift point is set at 6100. yeah it's not the best idea, but... I couldn't help it. it was too tempting.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MY GTSLO
Are you sure it was supercharged? There are 3 stages of the roush package on those mustangs, and ALOT of dumb people put "roushcharged" on there cars just because it says roush on it. Body kit, suspension, brakes and exhaust, than supercharged. They push out about what a stock 5.0 does today if your talking about the 05-09 body...
I would put money on it being boosted or sprayed.