New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how bad is it to drive your car hard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how bad is it to drive your car hard?

i'm just wondering i've hit the rev limiter a few times (~10) either in neutral or actually in a gear (depends on how well i shifted, haha), and i've grinded a couple of gears here and there. i know the grinding is positively bad for the car, but don't really know how bad the rev limiter hitting is on the car. i would assume gm put it there for a reason, but the consistent high rpm shifting probably isn't good for the motor (regardless of hitting the rev limiter), right? any thoughts?

moreso, i've always had the theory that everytime i lay on my car, i lose horsepower, and especially so if i hit the limiter, grind a gear, or something along those lines. for some reason, doing these things puts a big "BAD" immediately into my mind, and surely the engine has suffered at least a horsepower for this (only in my head). it's kind of silly, but probably the only bit of me that sparked this question of "how bad on your car is it to drive it hard?"
Old 03-10-2004, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Your car is a play toy, it will eventually have problems any way. Have fun and do your best to not miss your shifts. The rev limiter is designed for people like us so we won't destroy our engines. Just don't down shift too hard, the rev limiter won't help there. It's built to take a lot of abuse. You'll probably tear up the rear end before you even harm the motor. I did.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't miss my shifts as often as it seems, but for this post, it was necessary for me to fess up to it.

the funny thing is that i don't drive my car really hard a lot at all. it's just that when i do, and something doesn't go perfectly, it bothers me.

thanks for the advice and the heads up
Old 03-11-2004, 05:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've ground 3rd over 100 times(finally blew tranny)and hit the 6800rpm rev limiter too many times.Car still runs like a champ.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

I have read in more than one magazine (highperformance pontiac, popular mechanic) that the stock rocker arms do not handle the higher rpms very well and they both recommended swapping out.
Me, will wait til my warranty is up then do the comp cam thing and that will be a good time to install another TQ as well. I will also throw on a trans cooler.
But otherwise, I beat the **** out of my WS6 (within reason) and have had no problems in over a year and a half. (knock on wood). And I just had it at the dealership to have trans and engine checked.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't drive it hard when the engine is cold, it doesn't wear it out that much sooner believe it or not. My habit is to drive like the slowest granny on earth when my engine is cold, but once the oil is warmed up, I drive it hard. My last oil analysis showed extremely low engine wear.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

The cars are made to withstand some abuse. I know I've bounced off my rev limiter a few times doing donuts and have not had any problems. Although I think the rocker arm upgrade is an excellent idea. Its a car, parts are going to break or need to be replaced. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Talking

You cant take it with you when you die,so Drive it like you stole it !!
Beat on anything long enough and somethings gonna give.
I drive the **** outta my SS on a daily basis and with 67K on the 01`s clock she`s seen the shop a few times since new

Entire front clip repainted(color didnt match,hood,nose,both fenders)
Chrome SS wheels all flaking chrome since new,SLP shipped 4 sets just to get 4 wheels that werent worse then what I had
Stereo Monsoon X 2 + 4 different speakers
Window motors X 3 driver side,X 5 passenger side
GM installed ring mod for oil consumption
Cracked piston
Altenator X 3
A/C compressor X 2
Syncro`s X 5 (full 1-6 sets)
Clutch X 2(needs a new one now)
Drive shaft X 2 (original split@ the rear yolk after a 5k launch on street tires)
Rear End X 3 (cases included)
5 Pinion Seals
Rotors X 4
Battery X 6 (Delco`s suck`***)
F-1`s (smoke`em @ 7K miles)
Nitto 555`s (hards as rock @ 8K miles,ran`em to 12K and bald)

This was ALL done/repaired under my 36K Warrenty
Overall this has been the biggest piece of **** I`ve ever purchased from General Motors BUT !!........ I dont regret one day of it,the car is a blast to own,I`m just abit more reserved about what I do these days because it all comes outta my pocket now
Old 03-11-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dude, it sounds like you got a lemon man.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patman
As long as you don't drive it hard when the engine is cold, it doesn't wear it out that much sooner believe it or not. My habit is to drive like the slowest granny on earth when my engine is cold, but once the oil is warmed up, I drive it hard. My last oil analysis showed extremely low engine wear.
what is considered cold? the reason i ask is because i wonder if those with a 160 or 180 thermostat are hurting their engines moreso than someone with a stock thermostat? i can remember several times where i've had to give it a little more than granny-style gas to get on a highway while the engine is under the 210 mark, but definetely a good bit hotter than 100. i've definitely never floored it while the engine was under 210.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Don't worry bro, 160 is fine to floor it....Just use good judgement when you think your car is warmed up...sometimes you can hear it and even feel that the car is ready for you.... But I've red lined...let's see, I'll say over 200 times in over a year, but only hit the rev limiter maybe 10 times or less..I consider my shifting pretty good, but I do shift in the red zone to get the most out of my motor...I have 80,000 miles and my baby is still running hard...just take care of her...change her diaper every 2500-3000 miles and do all the neccessary things and she will grow up to be a beautiful women...with ATTITUDE..haha...
Old 03-11-2004, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Great, another woman with attitude! Oh... you mean the car! That's OK then
Old 03-11-2004, 10:44 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

If you're rev limiter is set to stock you aren't going to hurt anything bouncing off of it.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Patman
I am the same way with my stuff. I take it nice and easy until the engine is fully warmed up and then I run it hard.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:57 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jorday
I am the same way with my stuff. I take it nice and easy until the engine is fully warmed up and then I run it hard.
Yup, gotta teach'em early how to act! I warm her up and then ride her a$$! I do like Patman,too(if I'm running late and can't sit around until she's at operating temp).
Old 03-12-2004, 05:17 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

105,700 miles and counting.....I still hammer it on an almost daily basis.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I have read in more than one magazine (highperformance pontiac, popular mechanic) that the stock rocker arms do not handle the higher rpms very well and they both recommended swapping out.
6400rpm upshifts here for 3 years on stock rockers with no worries.

Stock timing chain too, also no worries.

I don't have many miles on my motor, but it sees full throttle A LOT. When I drive it, I have fun with the car.

Stock internals hold up pretty well on cam or heads/cam cars so long as you change the oil regularly, use a high quality oil, let the motor FULLY warm (as Patman said) before beating it, and keep the rpms within reasonable limits. 6400-6500rpms will be fine for a long time so long as you're using upgraded valve springs.

I know quite a few guys that have 10s of thousands of miles on H/C motors shifting around 6500rpm with all other internals being stock except the cam/valves/springs.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Teching In

I have a stock 98 TA with just the FRA cutout with 50,000 on it and I have pushed it hard and race it almost every day at some point or another and have only had minor probs with the car. These engines are tough!!

water pump x1
pinion seal replacement x2
transmission housing seal x1
left headlight motor
A/C selector switch
hit flying wood on the freeway--whole front nose replaced and painted. I liked that one-that baby was nice and fresh again when i got it back ;-)
Old 03-12-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I beat the ***** off my car daily... Thats why I bought it... Whats the point otherwise !
Old 03-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
I beat the ***** off my car daily... Thats why I bought it... Whats the point otherwise !
yeah that's why I got mine. I'm starting to really think about going Y-body now. like C6. Wheeeew it's a big step. I wanna beat one of those up--heh heh