Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Engine noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cold Engine noise...

Ive had my LS1 for a little less then a year now. I noticed from day one that whenever i start the car, i hear this whinning noise until the engine reaches its normal operating temp. After i drive it and it cools to say maybe 100 degrees on the temp gauge, it stays on for maybe 30 seconds or so and then shuts off no matter what the temp is. I saw a few other camaro's at some car shows and tried to talk to the owners and they all havnt heard it on theirs yet. Anyone know what this might be??
Old 03-11-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is a new one......I figured this was about the 7th PS thread in about a week. It could be the AIR pump they run for a little bit on startup's, I see you have a '99 and I can't remember if the '99's have AIR. Sorry I don't have much info for ya....ttt
Old 03-11-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
Well this is a new one......I figured this was about the 7th PS thread in about a week. It could be the AIR pump they run for a little bit on startup's, I see you have a '99 and I can't remember if the '99's have AIR. Sorry I don't have much info for ya....ttt
That would make sense...i thought maybe it was some way of getting the engine to its normal operating temp faster or something. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Yep, 99's have the air pump, mine used to annoy me to no end when it would kick on.
Purpose of it is to inject air into the exhaust when it's cold to cause the uncombusted gases to burn up and therefore reduce emissions. but it only generally stays on a couple minutes and then kicks back off. You only usually hear it colder weather.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4mula1
Yep, 99's have the air pump, mine used to annoy me to no end when it would kick on.
Purpose of it is to inject air into the exhaust when it's cold to cause the uncombusted gases to burn up and therefore reduce emissions. but it only generally stays on a couple minutes and then kicks back off. You only usually hear it colder weather.
Ok that solves it then, as long as it was nothing broken under the hood i can live w/ it for the couple min. it stays on...Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you sure its not the pulley? there was a TSB on it
Old 03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WicketMike
are you sure its not the pulley? there was a TSB on it
No i dont think its the pulley...if it was wouldnt it stay on more often? I only hear it for the first minute or so at start-up.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
No i dont think its the pulley...if it was wouldnt it stay on more often? I only hear it for the first minute or so at start-up.
both of my cars had this problem. it does it when you start it up and then it tends to go away as you drive. not sure why
Old 03-13-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WicketMike
both of my cars had this problem. it does it when you start it up and then it tends to go away as you drive. not sure why
Wierd stuff...my solution, soon as i save the money i'm goin 60's where there was no such thing as emissions and all that garbage that comes on todays engines.