Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Check oil beeping at me

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check oil beeping at me

My engine was just rebuilt and my car eeps at me constantly saying check oil generally when i am at idle or braking. I check the oil and its fine and my mechanic did a manual test and he said my oil prossure was fine. Could it be a bad sensor? If so does anybody know where that sensor is. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot. Thank you for any help. Oh and its a 2004 pontiac gto thats mostly stock.

Last edited by kellytj1993; 11-11-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to put the kind of car.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

if i were you i would run a gauge and do away with the light but it could be that if they broke the oem oil pressure switch when they did the rebuilt and didnt replace with oem from a dealer ive seen the aftermarket one that autozone and stores like that sell read low and cause the light to go off
Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kellytj1993
My engine was just rebuilt and my car eeps at me constantly saying check oil generally when i am at idle or braking. I check the oil and its fine and my mechanic did a manual test and he said my oil prossure was fine. Could it be a bad sensor? If so does anybody know where that sensor is. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot. Thank you for any help. Oh and its a 2004 pontiac gto thats mostly stock.
Could you be more vague, please? :-)

What what the oil pressure at idle, hot?
Did the mechanic that told you the pressure was fine rebuild the engine?

The oil pressure sensor is located at the rear of the engine on the drivers side behind the intake manifold. Remove the connector and use a deep well socket (think it is like 27mm or so) and you can swap it out in about a minute with a new, lifetime warranty sensor from O'Reilly's for about $40. The one I purchased had sealant on the threads, so you don't need teflon tape or anything else.

FWIW, most of the time when the sensors fail, they fail high. When mine failed, it kept blinking the same message, and I hooked up HP Tuners...found that it was reporting 130+ PSI after I shut the car down.

I hope that's your problem, but an oil pressure problem immediately after a rebuild would have me shitting my pants.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 04gto5.7
if i were you i would run a gauge and do away with the light but it could be that if they broke the oem oil pressure switch when they did the rebuilt and didnt replace with oem from a dealer ive seen the aftermarket one that autozone and stores like that sell read low and cause the light to go off
How would one "do away with the light"? Start clipping wires?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 PM

Thank you guys, It only does it when the engine is warmed up. Yes it was the same mechanic and ya i about **** my pants when that started happening after a rebuild i brought it back to my mechanic immediantly and he manualy checked the pressure and said it was fine. I will buy a new sensor and replace it and let you guys know. Again, thanks alot. If there is low oil pressure its all under warranty by my mechanic and if anything happened it would be his fault so I would get a new engine anyway.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Again, thanks alot. If there is low oil pressure its all under warranty by my mechanic and if anything happened it would be his fault so I would get a new engine anyway.
Cool. Good luck. I'll have my fingers crossed for you!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
How would one "do away with the light"? Start clipping wires?
to be honest idk how to do away with the light but atleast if you had a gauge you would have the piece of mind that you could see what your oil pressure is at and not relying on a stupid light im going to do some research and see if you can do away with the light
Old 11-12-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

to be honest idk how to do away with the light but atleast if you had a gauge you would have the piece of mind that you could see what your oil pressure is at and not relying on a stupid light im going to do some research and see if you can do away with the light
Oh, I agree on the manual gage. I just don't think there's an easy way to disable that warning. I'm 99.9% sure you can't tune it out with HP Tuners, and since it fails high or low, I'm assuming that just disconnecting or shorting it would not work. Haven't tried it though...I monitor my oil pressure through HP Tuners, so replacing the transducer was the only option I explored.

Yeah, they can fail, so buy a lifetime warranty one at O'Reilly's and be done with it.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Could be a pinched o ring on the oil pump. That alarm goes off when your pressure drops to 10 lbs
Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO
Could be a pinched o ring on the oil pump. That alarm goes off when your pressure drops to 10 lbs
I think you missed the part where he said it was checked with a manual pressure gage, and tested ok.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, but I had to chuckle when I saw you post that on the GTO forum. I knew the responses you'd get there.

I know you can get bad ones, so just spend $40 and get a lifetime warranty one and be done with it.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

I think you missed the part where he said it was checked with a manual pressure gage, and tested ok.
My mechanical gage read fine too ... that is until the block heated up to over 200 degrees. If he didn't check it at full operating temps it could be the problem.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

My mechanical gage read fine too ... that is until the block heated up to over 200 degrees. If he didn't check it at full operating temps it could be the problem.
So you think he took it to his mechanic and said, "It only does this when hot", and the mechaic let the car sit till it was cold and checked it? If so, he really does need to find a new mechanic. :-)

Nice numbers and time slip...what are your mods?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

So you think he took it to his mechanic and said, "It only does this when hot", and the mechaic let the car sit till it was cold and checked it? If so, he really does need to find a new mechanic. :-)

Nice numbers and time slip...what are your mods?

He didn't say that mechanic actually had the gage on while the alarm was triggering. I'd ask if I were him.

My numbers are from my old LS1 AFR 205/90/90 setup sitting on a new LS2 427 block we put in this spring. Still have the LS1 top because I also have had oil pressure issues that we've been trying to solve since we did our initial break in. Mine also only occurs when the engine reaches a certain temp. I can drive for 2 hours fine as long as the coolant stays under 200 but once its over that my pressure drops down to 10. What we are doing now is tightening the mains, plugging the DOD passages and replacing the the barbell plunger. Previously we've looked at just about every part of the oiling system ... including tried several different oil pumps, valley covers, measure the lifters for being out or round, even heated the block itself to see if hairline fractures were opening at temp ... but have never found anything. My thought all along was that it was th emains being too loose so I should see in a few weeks. Hopefully the OP doesn't have to go through everything I have but he might ... that's why I'm pointing him to checking the o rings first.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

He didn't say that mechanic actually had the gage on while the alarm was triggering. I'd ask if I were him.

My numbers are from my old LS1 AFR 205/90/90 setup sitting on a new LS2 427 block we put in this spring. Still have the LS1 top because I also have had oil pressure issues that we've been trying to solve since we did our initial break in. Mine also only occurs when the engine reaches a certain temp. I can drive for 2 hours fine as long as the coolant stays under 200 but once its over that my pressure drops down to 10. What we are doing now is tightening the mains, plugging the DOD passages and replacing the the barbell plunger. Previously we've looked at just about every part of the oiling system ... including tried several different oil pumps, valley covers, measure the lifters for being out or round, even heated the block itself to see if hairline fractures were opening at temp ... but have never found anything. My thought all along was that it was th emains being too loose so I should see in a few weeks. Hopefully the OP doesn't have to go through everything I have but he might ... that's why I'm pointing him to checking the o rings first.
Good points, and I agree. Other than myself, I only trust Chad Barton of CBI. Any other mechanic told me that, I would be checking it myself. lol I even suggested shens were possible.

Hey, OP...if you can, borrow a scan tool, predator, or HP Tuners from someone to see what the computer is seeing, it would help. If it is reading high, then you're probably looking at the switch. If not, then it is probably the o-ring, pump, or a problem with the build itself.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Where should i have posted it? lol and thanks guys ill let you know.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where should i have posted it? lol and thanks guys ill let you know.
I wasn't talking to you.

04gto5.7 posted on ls1gto.com on how to disable the light and everyone gave him hell.

Quick Reply: Check oil beeping at me