Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-2 Shift, people with experience come in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3-2 Shift, people with experience come in!

To start off, whoever said 11/11/11 was the luckiest day ever is a liar.

Anyway, yes this happened Friday and I decided to wait a day or two to get the stress off my mind before I came in here and typed a huge rage filled novel. Friday was not my best of days, starting with a speeding ticket. The rest of the day wasn't anything to write home about but I was looking forward to Friday night as I had a surprise dinner planned with the girlfriend. All went well and dinner was great, and we were on our way back home.

We are on the highway which had come to a straight away and the left lane was all clear. I shift into 3rd, get to the top and proceed to shift into 4th gear. Well somehow, I end up shifting into 2nd, and as you could imagine, The motor bounces off the rev limiter, the low trac light comes on, and the rear wheels try and come to a hault. It had to have only been a split second as i realized what had happened and I pushed the clutch in.

I got off the highway and pulled over. I didn't hear any abnormal sounds coming from the motor so I went the rest of the way home which was less then a mile away. The rest of the way home, I didn't feel a loss of power, oil pressure seemed to stay in normal range during idle and under power. Yesterday, I started up the car and listened for any unwanted sounds. I didn't hear anything alarming and so I let the car warm up for about 20 minutes and went back out to listen for any sounds after being warmed up. Still no sounds and when I took it for a drive, everything seemed to be normal.

I know typically when this (3-2 shift) happens, the most common issue is a few bent pushrods. Is there a possibility that I got lucky and the rev limiter saved me and I didn't bend anything? Would a bent pushrod make any noise or show any signs of being bent without me taking off the valve covers? The car is pretty much stock motor wise, minus a lid, ported stock TB and free mods. My tune only consists of !EGR, !CAGS and removal of the speed limiter.

*If this is a commonly asked question, please forgive me. I tried to use the search function but if I type in pushrod or shift, it pretty much brings up stuff from the classified section

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I powershifted my trex cam no tune ss from 3 to 2 a few times. lol. Still ran fine after
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

I have bent a push rod and never found out until i took them out while changing a cam. The car never sounded any different to me and I have no idea when it happened to even gauge it.

With that being said, I wouldn't worry about it unless there were something wrong.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I didn't think anything was wrong but I know going from 3rd to 2nd doesn't make the car very happy so I figured I'd ask anyway. I've also had a friend that has made that same mistake twice when he was at the track and it resulted in him needing pushrods each time.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've went fromake 3-2 in my a4 couple times I'm never that high on the revs when I do though
Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've went from 3-2 in my a4 couple times I'm never that high on the revs when I do though. No problems
Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was taking a slight right turn under WOT going from 2nd to 3rd and my stock shocks were so bad that the car would always lean really hard...needless to say, I shoved it into 1st gear at about 4,500 rpm out of 2nd...yea. My low traction light came on and it bounced like a ball of the rev limiter. My heart sank.

But, everything was fine, not a single issue after
Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

God bless those rev limiters. Maybe time to invest in a quality aftermarket shifter.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
God bless those rev limiters. Maybe time to invest in a quality aftermarket shifter.
this is the best thing i have heard for this whole issue!!! i had the same issue and hit 2nd from the top of 3rd, i wasnt so lucky as i bent 2 pushrods, and shattered my pilot bearing. but after i put my Pro 5.0 shifter on there, never had a problem with it again. you will see when you change your shifter the big stupid rubber boot on your current shifter and be like WTF!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
I hate to break it to you, but the "rev limiter" will NOT protect you from a mechanical over-rev. While you may 'think' it stops the engine at the preset RPM, mechanically driven forces will always override it...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

S10xGN is right, the rev limiter only works when the motor reaches redline under power. It doesn't stop the motor from over revving if you accidentally downshift to a lower gear.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did it once, all was good. Even have it on video from a couple years ago lol. Makes me laugh everytime.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Been there done that lol. I did it with a ms3 cam and shifting at 6800 rpms. No big deal, just don't make a habit of it. And even though the rev limiter stopped the spark, the motor still revved past that.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Did it the first time I raced in my Dad's 98 SS (now mine). Still has no problems.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never done it in my car but I let a friends dad drive it and he did it. I had chromoly pushrods in it and didn't have any problems at all after. 7k since, a new cam and a set of heads. None was changed from problems, just wanted more power. If nothing happened right after you'll be fine IMO, I freaked out for a while to.lol
Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket shifter but I haven't researched enough to know which one to go with. The two common shifters I've heard of are the Pro5.0 and MGW. I've heard mixed reviews about the Pro5.0 and a friend actually swapped his out for the MGW. He said he really likes it but I haven't had the opportunity to drive his car to see for myself. What do you guys recommend and why?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did this and it ran fine, but 3 months later I had a rocker arm that mysteriously let go a few months later under normal driving conditions.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got the MGW and I like it. Its a very stiff feeling shifter. Honestly I love the feel of a short stick on the factory Hurst like I have in my camaro. IMO you'd like the PRO 5.0 or the MGW. If I got a Pro I'd get a Lou's short stick I love the look of the crook lol never driven one though. I've had the BandM and hated it compared to the other shifters.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I've got the MGW and I like it. Its a very stiff feeling shifter. Honestly I love the feel of a short stick on the factory Hurst like I have in my camaro. IMO you'd like the PRO 5.0 or the MGW. If I got a Pro I'd get a Lou's short stick I love the look of the crook lol never driven one though. I've had the BandM and hated it compared to the other shifters.
See that's the thing, I don't really have any complaints about my stock Hurst (although I had to add the LSS because I felt like I was driving a dump truck) but I've never driven another F-body with an aftermarket/upgraded shifter so I have no idea how to know what I'll like
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pro 5.0 and throw the hurst in the trash. I went from a stock hurst & short stick to the pro 5.0 and its night and day difference. The stock hursts are so cheaply made its not funny.

Quick Reply: 3-2 Shift, people with experience come in!