Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who rebuilds shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who rebuilds shocks?

I'm wondering if I can have a set of my SLP Bilsteins revalved or rebuilt. I've had them on since 2006 and I'll be getting a new set of springs over the winter to replace my sagged Eibachs.

Does Strano do these?? Wondering if I can get the ride as close to Koni's as possible.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im also curious?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 AM
TECH Veteran

My buddy and I were talking last night and he sent me an order form PDF for a site/company that rebuilds shocks. Just input the vehicle info an spring info. Non-sponsor, but I was just wondering if any of our bog name folk around here did it.

Obviously it'd be cheaper than buying all new shocks.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Bilstein has a service to do this and they charge a pretty reasonable fee to do so.

Rebuild Options
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, Bilstein can and will rebuild the shocks.. And if you can tell them what you are after they will revalve them too. Honestly, it's not that much cheaper than a new set of Bilstein's by the time you do all 4 but you have some different valving if you want.

Here's what you need to consider. What is rebuilding your current shocks going to cost with the shipping to and from, the down time while it's being done (4-6 weeks is the short side of thing normally), and what are the shocks worth if you were to sell them as is?

I ask because what folks often find is that you'll end up spending close to half what a set of Koni's are to do the job. That money + selling off the used Bilstein's can be put toward Koni's which then offer you not only the "revalving" you seek (more damping control available, but also the ability to adjust the damping which Bilstein's cannot do). Further once you tweak a Bilstein, there is no more warranty.

Just things to consider. FWIW, the reason I stopped doing specific revalves was the cost/benefit wasn't there vs. Koni 4/3's anymore.... Bilstein changed rear vavling which meant I had to now revalve 4 not 2 shocks, that costs more, and the shocks themselves went up in price too. I'm not saying it's not cheaper in the end, but value isn't measured on pure cost, but also what you are getting for that money.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you weigh out the costs and decide you're looking to do a new set of Konis rather than have your existing Bilsteins rebuilt, we're running a special that will essentially give you a set of our springs. Konis and springs for less than $930!

HPP024 - Level 1 Koni Handling Performance Package

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

^ That would be something to consider also, thank you.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Yes, Bilstein can and will rebuild the shocks.. And if you can tell them what you are after they will revalve them too. Honestly, it's not that much cheaper than a new set of Bilstein's by the time you do all 4 but you have some different valving if you want.

Here's what you need to consider. What is rebuilding your current shocks going to cost with the shipping to and from, the down time while it's being done (4-6 weeks is the short side of thing normally), and what are the shocks worth if you were to sell them as is?

I ask because what folks often find is that you'll end up spending close to half what a set of Koni's are to do the job. That money + selling off the used Bilstein's can be put toward Koni's which then offer you not only the "revalving" you seek (more damping control available, but also the ability to adjust the damping which Bilstein's cannot do). Further once you tweak a Bilstein, there is no more warranty.

Just things to consider. FWIW, the reason I stopped doing specific revalves was the cost/benefit wasn't there vs. Koni 4/3's anymore.... Bilstein changed rear vavling which meant I had to now revalve 4 not 2 shocks, that costs more, and the shocks themselves went up in price too. I'm not saying it's not cheaper in the end, but value isn't measured on pure cost, but also what you are getting for that money.
I completely understand your points. I do want a better ride for a street car that may see an occasional track (more not than often.) I found the set of springs I want and I was looking to have the shocks matched to it.... A friend had your springs and Bilstiens and he wasn't really crazy about the shocks. his last car had Hotchkis and Koni DA and he said the ride was amazing. He was looking to go with a set of Koni's on the SP Springs, but he sold the car.

However, having my shocks reworked would be about half the price of a set of Koni SA's, but I agree they won't be the same.

I dunno.. I really want that ride quality, but I've been in "conserve" mode lately. I have the money, I just haven't felt like spending it.. Which is odd, because when I was broke, I was constantly buying parts.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, I just wanted to make sure you had the pertinent information to make the best decision.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Who rebuilds shocks?