Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission guru/builders need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission guru/builders need some advice

So, a friend of the family owns a trans shop has offered to assist me on building a trans but he normally just rebuilds stock transmissions and does minimal performance transmissions. So he has limited knowledge on which brands of parts and what not are better to use. So I am here asking for your advice on building up the internals of a trans. My application is a 88 Monte with an LS1 and 4L60E. This setup is pretty much street setup as the cam I bought recommended stall is 2000 to 2500. I'm going for a very healthy driver setup. Im thinking something around 500 hp capacity. with a somewhat firm shift but not slamming into each gear. Please advise me on any info you feel is relevant and if you need any more info ask away. Thanks for all help its greatly appreciated
Old 11-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Staging Lane

Also, what would be a good core to get a trans out of since its not going into a fbody would I be ok to get a core out of a pickup? if so which ones?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend you do some searches here on tech. Go back several years even. The reason is if your builder does not know what needs to go into this transmission, then you are setting yourself up for failure my friend. Not knocking his skills, but think about it this way...

An orthopedic surgeon is a pretty smart guy right? He has gone to school and has learned how to fix broken bones and joint injuries right? No doubt he is good at what he does. But... would you let him do you heart bypass surgery? Probably not.

There are many, many guys out there who can take a 4l60e apart and put it back together in a timely manner and do it right the first time. But there are only a handful of guys around the country who understand that there is a certain balance between the hydraulics and the hard parts that has to be maintained. Seriously, if your builder does not know what he is doing you need to find a builder who knows how to build a 60E that can manage 500 h/p in a heavy car with one of these transmissions.

This forum is full of guys who had local shops do their build and are looking for help when something isn't right. Not slamming your guy, but he is over his head. And you have to ask yourself if that's the guy you want building your transmission.

Good luck wither way you go!

g
Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm taking your advice, I went to Finish Line Transmission as their local and getting a stage 4 4L60e. Thanks
Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They'll build you a nice unit. Good for you buddy! Hope it all works out for ya!

g
Old 11-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Teching In

I feel this is exactly right! I build high performace 4l60's regularly, I can give you a parts list but there are several tricks to making them work correctly, A high perform builder must really have a set way of all his tricks otherwise one changed part that the builder isn't competent about could lead to premature failure. You truely have to understand whats going on with each part to make the trans shift and hold pressure the way it should
Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah after I read his post I completely agreed and understood. Didn't think about that I was concerned about the cost savings as my budget is getting tight. The wife ended up opening her purse and let me get one lmao
Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

My alternative was buying stock units and hoping they would hold up