Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.2 breaking valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6.2 breaking valve springs

I gotta 6.2 engine with l92 heads and it has a broke valve spring for the 2nd time. The first the engine had a tsp 220/220 cam with prc dual valve springs. I didnt do the work but the owner of the truck claimed the tech had told him he broke 3 different springs. The tech replace all the lifters and springs with ls7 lifters and a dif brand of dual valve springs (he dont remember the brand). He then drove for about 2k miles and I put a mid 230s with .620 lift cam in it. We got it retuned and he drove it for another 7k miles and now it broke a valve spring on the intake valve. The valve is completely loose in the guide so Im not sure what all is broke. Im going to remove the head tonight. Anybody heard or have a 6.2 break valve springs this often? any help is appricieted.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Launching!

had this happen on my 2010 Camaro that had less then 200 miles on it. Was told that the machining on the head pocket was the cause. They replaced the entire motor. Bad machining from the factory.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JstALs1
had this happen on my 2010 Camaro that had less then 200 miles on it. Was told that the machining on the head pocket was the cause. They replaced the entire motor. Bad machining from the factory.
really?? What did they mean by the head pocket?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JstALs1
Bad machining from the factory seems to be a more common problem than I thought. I recently had an issue with a new LS2 block that I bought from Summit Racing 2 years prior to my build. (Was gathering parts) I paid to have it machined and assembled the motor myself. After putting it in the car we found the side of the block to be cracked just above the oil galley plug. After contacting GM and Summit racing it was told to me that the brand new $1200.00 block would not be warranted by either so I took matters into my own hands and tried to have the block welded. I put it all back together and put it back in the car only to find a second crack. (bad casting on the block) So I was forced to buy another brand new GM block.. GM and Summit both have warranties on things you buy I was just pass the warranty date. Sorry to hear about your issue man and sorry for the long post. Just felt like sharing..
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

^sorry bout your motor. I sure hope this short block is fine. I guess well find out tonight
Old 12-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by laytoncamaroz28
really?? What did they mean by the head pocket?
Not sure, but on mine #8 cyclinder was bad. GM was only gonna replace the head and I talked with the rep who came out and told him my story. Then they ended up replacing the engine. I was so upset with the whole ordeal that i just ended up taking the car from the service department right to sales and dumped it! I guess I just got a bad apple... and I ordered the car brand new 2010 ABM 1SS with a six speed.. wish I had more info for you.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

well I removed the head and found this. The guide completely came out of the head. one picture is of another intake guide that has started to move. The piston got hit a little but i think it should be fine. I think ill just replace the head instead of fixing it.
Attached Thumbnails 6.2 breaking valve springs-valve.jpg   6.2 breaking valve springs-head1.jpg   6.2 breaking valve springs-head3.jpg   6.2 breaking valve springs-head4.jpg   6.2 breaking valve springs-head-2.jpg  

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think were gonna end up replacing the heads. I dont want the other guides to end up doing the same thing.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:40 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Those aren't stock heads they've been CNC'd so Id speak with whoever did the machine work. Early L92's had crappy valve springs that broke but this is definitely not a "normal" problem. Something wasnt installed or machined right. Pushrod length maybe? Over Rev? PTV clearance a hair too tight....

All guesses but doesnt really help you at this point. Triple check all clearances and tolerances on the fresh install and Im sure you'll be fine
Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Just put an oversized guide in it and call it a day. Done all of the time and a lot cheaper than buying new heads. Just make sure they check all of the guides and replace as needed.

Unless you want to spend some money, that's what I would do.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had one break with the prc springs. My car was always alittle low on power but when the spring broke i put a set of comp springs on it and it made a world of difference.. Have not had anymore problems out of it.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya tsp did the porting work and after 5 hours of trying to get ahold of em yesterday, I finally got to talk to somebody. They said they have never seen anything like this but they still cant warranty anything. so weve decided to put a set of stock l92s on it for now.

Quick Reply: 6.2 breaking valve springs