Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate electrical problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate electrical problems.

For the second time in a month my car has gone haywire on me and I have no clue what to do...

I have had loss of power and stuttering in take off at normal speed, and after talking to a few friends, we were thinking MAF sensor. But just as I was about to look for one, my car's gauge display went crazy onme, flickering all the lights and the gauges going back and forth, then the car just looses all electrical power. After sitting with out power for a few minutes, and opening the hood and staring at my engine for no reason, it starts up like nothing happened but bogs down to around 500rpm and rough idles up to around 1200rpm and back down.

The first time it happened, I figured the computer just reset itself. But now that its happened again, I really think somethings wrong. Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It's certainly not the MAF. Does the radio also go out? Have you checked all the grounds? Battery connections? Was this a flood or deep water car? Any codes in the PCM?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time I saw this type of problem, the guy had an aftermarket alarm and an amp butchered into his under-hood harness. Poorly crimped butt splices on the 12VDC feed to the car's main panel, ground loops, etc. Every time he hit a bump, the car would momentarily lose power
Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Teching In

something like that happened to me with my lincoln it sounds like your alternator is going bye bye but it could also be a loose ground check to make sure the wire running from the alternator is connected properly too but that sounds like an alt (ive gone through 4 with my subs)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Launching!

My buddy JJ had a similar issue with his 93 TA. When you hammered on the car it would go to xxxx rpm's and studder and sometimes shut off. Guages would flutter and lights would dim. He brought it to my shop with the fuel tank half dropped bc he couldn't get it off claiming that the shutter was the fuel pump.

This was a northern car brought south and every damned bolt around the gas tank and on the axle/suspension was rusted up and had to be cut.(My impact with 1000lb of torque would only round bolts.)PITA. Anyways we changed it out and I took it for a test drive (this was the first time I drove the car). Still doing the exact same thing. Well it was 1am in the morning and I told him I'd deal with it later in the day. I woke up and went outside and he was there with truck and trailer to take it home. We tried to start it and it was a no go.. nothing at all.. Popped the hood and the damned ground cable was barely hanging on!!! Tightened it up and it ran like a champ.. Moral of the story CHECK GROUNDS!!!
Of course he calls me last week claiming the car is blown up because its running hot and he already put a new thermastat in it and pulled the water pump and said it looked new. I told him to just go buy a new water pump and put it on and see how it works.
2 Days later he calls and says it was the water pump. lol.
Now it will start idle and go dead if he pushes throttle haha.. He is so fed he says its yours for 1500$$. Thinking about getting it lol its lt1 m6
Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, check all grounds, I am having the same thing happening to me and right now i have it down to either the ecm of the plugs for the ecm, My engine shut off on me when I was doing 90, I got it restarted before I pulled over, now it is parked and I am having fun with the multimeter.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Good sir, If you have any extra wiring for speakers that you aren't using (which i believe you do) you should take that out of the car. At the beginning your issue sounded like the MAF could be dirty and getting a bad reading but with the car loosing power and shutting off that is definitely not your MAF. I am not very familiar with the camaro "v6z28ss" model but your problem does not sound fun. And just for ***** and giggles you should take one of the battery terminals off so you do not get a nice shock while working with wires.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Replacing the battery terminal screws/ bolts in the battery cables (that screw into the battery) solved my electrical problems, and I had all the symptoms you did. It was tricky figuring this out because visually they looked okay. You just pull them out of the plastic boots with vise grips. I found replacements at a battery store, but I bet most auto parts stores have them. It was an intermittent connection problem for me too.