Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which side is the pressure side on the gearbox? 11/16 fitting or 5/8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which side is the pressure side on the gearbox? 11/16 fitting or 5/8?

im putting together my power steering system and i have forgotten which side is the pressure side on my stock gear box(1965) lol

I have two different fittings on the gearbox, one is 11/16 and the other is the 5/8 fittings.

Which one is which? thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The smaller one is your pressure side coming from the Pump... The other returns to the pump.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
The smaller one is your pressure side coming from the Pump... The other returns to the pump.
Thanks alot!

So
5/8" = High Pressure Line
11/16" = Return Line
Right?

I just got everything in today in the mail, i can finally finish my teflon braided ps lines this weekend!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup. In most applications of a pressurized system. they usually design it with the pressure side being smaller than the return... take a look at your cooling system and AC system and hoses...

The exception is a Fuel system... where volumn is the key issue and bigger is better..

BC
Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Yup. In most applications of a pressurized system. they usually design it with the pressure side being smaller than the return... take a look at your cooling system and AC system and hoses...

The exception is a Fuel system... where volumn is the key issue and bigger is better..

BC
thanks for the help! i learn something new everyday
Old 12-17-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well what bczee says definitely holds true on the heater hoses on a LS1 conversion I don't think that is correct on the power steering gear box the line closest to the drivers fender is the line that takes a 5/8 wrench and that is the return line. The line closest to the passenger fender takes a 11/16 wrench and that is your pressure side. The smaller fitting just is held on with hose clamps on both sides thus meaning low pressure and the larger fitting is a flare fitting thus indicating a pressure line. I could be wrong but that is how it is on my 66 GTO and 69 chevelle. Bczee take a look at your chevelle so maybe we can confirm this.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I failed to state Hose size and didn't read the 2nd post right. Sorry, my BAD,..I have replaced my High pressure side with Russell's AN adaptes.. so.. no use looking now.. LOL

lizeec is correct on the location... of what is high / low pressure. (thanks for the catch)

Yes.. the power steering NUT size is different on the fittings.. but the tube/hose are smaller for the pressure and larger for the return.. Do not assume the Nut size of the fitting (even on a bolt or nut compared to the Thread size) is what the Tubing size well be. I assume that GM used the larger nut size in order to be able to put more tighting pressure on the nut while securing it to the correct Torque.. if you tried to tighten the smaller 5/8"one with a lot of torque, you will most likely strip off the corners of the nut of the fitting.

BC
Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 AM
Launching!

thank you, so when speaking specifically the gear box and the fittings going into it: [11/16" = High Pressure Side] [5/8" = Low Pressure Return Side]

I ordered Teflon/SS Braided -6AN Hose and Fittings both the return and pressure side.

i ended up spending $58 shipped for everything (could have just spent $40, if i would have kept the old return hose/fitting)

or spent even less if i just changed the fitting on the PS hose that came with my LQ4... but damn am i sucker for ss braided hoses under the hood lol
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
thank you, so when speaking specifically the gear box and the fittings going into it: [11/16" = High Pressure Side] [5/8" = Low Pressure Return Side]

Correct

I ordered Teflon/SS Braided -6AN Hose and Fittings both the return and pressure side.

i ended up spending $58 shipped for everything (could have just spent $40, if i would have kept the old return hose/fitting)

or spent even less if i just changed the fitting on the PS hose that came with my LQ4... but damn am i sucker for ss braided hoses under the hood lol
Yes you could have just cut the end off and used the correct fitting and re-flared the line. The braided line is a little over kill but at least it will look nice.

Quick Reply: Which side is the pressure side on the gearbox? 11/16 fitting or 5/8?