Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed and variable displacement A/C compressors

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fixed and variable displacement A/C compressors

I am swapping an LS2 from a 2005 GTO into my 70 Lemans Sport that has the factory R12 system still intact. I know basics about A/C but this is bit much for me.

I have to relocate the compressor on the LS2 up top so I don't need to notch the frame. the brackets will allow me to use a Sanden fixed displacement compressor. I want to keep the Lemans evaporator since it is factory. I can redo all lines no problem and figured I could get a new filter/drier and orifce tube for the GTO and adapt it for use. I have the old ones but assume I should replace them. I also want to use the condensor from the GTO since it fits nicely on the Ron Davis Radiator that was on the Goat.

The GTO uses a variable displacement compressor, will a fixed be a problem for the Goat's components?

Any other things I should be concerned about?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Launching!

You can make it fixed by removing the valve that makes it variable. Remove the O-ring and install the valve. The compressor oil will have to be refilled. The valve can be found by looking underneath the compressor, it is held in with a C-clip and has a hex head integrated into it.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes that will work fine either the Sanden or the factory variable 1 modified as described in the previous post and You can use R-134 refrigerant provided You use the proper Pag oil ,,,,,,,,the only thing You might want to do but should'nt be a problem if You don't is to flush out the system unless You've had a compressor failure You don't have to .
Old 12-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Please explain this better i have the compressor from a 99 f-body that i really wanted to use on my ls1 swap into my 72 camaro with vintage air but was told by the sales man that i could not use it.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Try this link:

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/get...9WYWx2ZXMucGRm
Old 12-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Teching In

link no workie
Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Works for me. Try this one.
http://www.aircondition.com/sitesear...=rcv&sa=Search
Both of the two articles at the bottom of the page are relevant.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
You can make it fixed by removing the valve that makes it variable. Remove the O-ring and install the valve. The compressor oil will have to be refilled. The valve can be found by looking underneath the compressor, it is held in with a C-clip and has a hex head integrated into it.

I'm thinking about going this route...could someone tell me...what the V7 fixed compressor c.i. displacement would be after this mod?

thanks...Frank
Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Teching In

After reading that article, I'm still a little unsure if I can do this mod to the compressor and use the original evaporator, dryer, and low pressure cutoff switch in an 1987 S10? Is there anything more to it than that?

Quick Reply: Fixed and variable displacement A/C compressors