Who works offshore?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who works offshore?

Ive never worked offshore before and was looking at maybe taking a position on a rig. Before I commit to anything I wanted to find out what I was in for. What are the living conditions like? The food ,what do you do in your down time? Stuff like that.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Are they hiring?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have wife or gf? If so kiss them bye cause they won't be in your life much longer. I have heard horror stories.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Food = really good most of the time
Off time = play on the internet, watch tv, workout etc.
Wife = if she sucks she'll cheat I guess regardless.

$$$$ = *******

I wouldn't make a career out of it but who knows?!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Get on a land rig. offshore sucks. Find one by the house and get on it.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
You have wife or gf? If so kiss them bye cause they won't be in your life much longer. I have heard horror stories.
that's so lame.

If your gf/wife sucks then she will leave but if they really like/love you they will stay through it. I have one of the girls that stands by me through it all.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Launching!

I worked 6 years offshore with the same broad in my life.

Only when i made a career change to work onshore did she cheat so take this comment as you wish.

To the OP, the offshore industry is a great way to make money fast if you can adapt to the lifestyle.

I was in it for 8 years, in those 8 years i increased my rate 200%. If you apply yourself and learn everything your taught, the sky is the limit.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just applied and took a drug test for a company offshore on a rig. Waiting for my results.. Hopefully I go , I have a girl also but like they say up there ^^^ if she really loves u then she wont cheat on u. If she does cheat on me O WELL... On to the next one right? and more money to blow!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go from seeing each other everyday to every 3 weeks will make them depressed esp if you don't have kids. To each is own I guess.

1Fast I guess she could only put up with you for 2 weeks at a time and how do you know she was not cheating? Seems odd she left when you were back full time don't you think.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned

http://youtu.be/WwoM5fLITfk

if your after money then go for it.....
who gives a **** about the food.......
this thread is a FAIL in the making
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mred
http://youtu.be/WwoM5fLITfk

if your after money then go for it.....
who gives a **** about the food.......
this thread is a FAIL in the making
this is what keeps me motivated , fawk bitches and hoes
Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

I work for Schlumberger. Been there for over 8 years now and work on land base rigs. I'm a directional Driller. Bring your own food you want to cook and hope you work around a town with something to do. What position are you going for?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Launching!

I didn't want to get stuck in a situation that I was miserable for a month. So excuae the **** out of me for asking how the food was... I can deal with the hours, I can deal with being away from home for a month at a time. I have nothing tying me down. I didn't apply for just being a hand. I don't want the only reason to be out there the money... If I'm pissed off the whole time I'm out there, I'll just stay at the house. Thanks everybody for your inputs. I applied to be an rov tech fafonfoe
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Go from seeing each other everyday to every 3 weeks will make them depressed esp if you don't have kids. To each is own I guess.

1Fast I guess she could only put up with you for 2 weeks at a time and how do you know she was not cheating? Seems odd she left when you were back full time don't you think.
Shes not worth my time to explain, but the long and short of it is, I know she wasnt while i was offshore with the same certainty that i know she was cheating in the end.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you work out in the oil field, you can understand why a lot of these guys are divorced, has a lot to do with them more so than it does the oil field. If your off shore, the food is hit or miss and the same with accommodations. It only gets annoying when people are purposely disrespectful or ignorant towards others, that's about the only thing that gets to me. You have to share 5 stalls with 50 guys and some dip **** pisses all over the seat or spits their dip in a sink, leaves it there knowing damn well you have to brush your teeth in the same sink.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
You have to share 5 stalls with 50 guys and some dip **** pisses all over the seat or spits their dip in a sink, leaves it there knowing damn well you have to brush your teeth in the same sink.
that kinda **** would **** me off!!!!

imo offshore aint worth it, but thats just goin off what ive heard. a land based rig wouldnt b bad tho.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Well I'll put this out there, I have been woking offshore for the last 12 years, I have gone from making 9.65/hr to a salary of 190k/yr. I am happily married and have never had a hard time leaving until I had my little girl. The food aint too bad depending on whtat rig you get on. I have had a lot of fun in the years that I have woked out there until we moved the rig to Africa. So now I am taking a land based job.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

I work offshore, but on an oil tanker. I do have friends working on rigs and dynamic positioning drill ships (transocean, diamond, Otto candies, fugro, just to name a few). 2 of my friends are happily married as far as I know. I think it is just a matter of finding the right girl. There are going to be relationship disaster stories regardless of whether you work offshore or not. Food is generally good, although they aren't using all organic top quality ingredients haha. I don't have internet on my ship and not every rig does; so in my free time I watch movies, work out, or play xbox. If you can get over leaving family&friends for half your life (maybe more depending on your rotation), generally offshore companies compensate you with $$$
Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red281gt
I just applied and took a drug test for a company offshore on a rig. Waiting for my results.. Hopefully I go , I have a girl also but like they say up there ^^^ if she really loves u then she wont cheat on u. If she does cheat on me O WELL... On to the next one right? and more money to blow!
Lets hope you have nothing to fear. At the very least you will get experience and can use that to land a job at a Refinery on land later.