Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surging brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging brakes

My cars brakes seem to surge. Kinda an on off on off on off feeling with the same consistent pressure. Full braking is unnoticeable compared to 25 percent braking. I replaced the front rotors and pads with autozone rotors and pads. What else could be the problem?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rears. I just replaced my fronts and the vibration went away for a little bit, but now it's back along with a slight squeal coming from the rear brakes. Same thing happened with one of the Police Camaros at work, replaced the rear brakes and it was fine...maybe this is your case as well?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like warped rotors to me.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Launching!

yea, the rears. i replaced my fronts with pads, didnt fix it. did the back, that fixed it. MAKE SURE u get new pads for the back. i reused the stock ones and i think i warped the new rear rotors already.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

yeah us a4 guys like to roast the rear brakes i didn't really notice anything from the 4 passes i did. time for line lock.

how long do the brakes usually last on these cars? i know the PO just did the front pads/turn rotors at 66K miles. Seems awefully long time for an a4 for a first time brake job.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by samz28
yeah us a4 guys like to roast the rear brakes i didn't really notice anything from the 4 passes i did. time for line lock.

how long do the brakes usually last on these cars? i know the PO just did the front pads/turn rotors at 66K miles. Seems awefully long time for an a4 for a first time brake job.
I'm at 81k on the original brakes with over 100 passes at the track.(they will be replaced next weekend)
What makes you think you have to sit on the brakes and do a 5 second burnout with street tires? Yer not running slicks you know!
Even when I run my drag radials I can get it to break loose for the 3-5 seconds it takes to heat them up without standing on the brake!
All you need to do with street tires is to spin them just enough to wipe them off, you don't want to heat up a Z rated tires.
After all, wouldn't you rather spend $600-$800 on something other than tires?

Bob
Old 03-21-2004, 06:54 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

What makes you think you have to sit on the brakes and do a 5 second burnout with street tires? Yer not running slicks you know!
Even when I run my drag radials I can get it to break loose for the 3-5 seconds it takes to heat them up without standing on the brake!
All you need to do with street tires is to spin them just enough to wipe them off, you don't want to heat up a Z rated tires.
After all, wouldn't you rather spend $600-$800 on something other than tires?

Bob
I totally agree....you're just making them greasy.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

i found best traction at 16psi with near 10 second burnout, thats when i caught a 1.80 and almost hooked off the line. With any smaller burnout i was hitting 12.4 to 12.6 with a 2.0/2.1 60 ft.

I'm gonna try slicks next once i get the line lock on.

leave the poor 70K old rear brakes alone.