Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo with internal wastegate for budget 5.3 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default turbo with internal wastegate for budget 5.3 build

Has anyone on here used a turbo with an internal wastegate, like a holset HX55 or something comparable? My thinking is that I would benefit from buying a reliable turbo at a decent price, and also avoid the cost of an external waste gate and the plumbing associated with it. Does this sound like a workable plan or am I missing something? The turbo will support a mild 5.3 with a goal of around 500 rwhp.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone using a Holset or any other internal wastegate turbo?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reliable/good quality and decent price ussually don't go together. With that said, if you could find a used holset turbo in good shape you might be ok. I personally have never cared much for a built in wastegate on a turbo because I feel like you lose all of your adjustability. There are used wastegates for sale all the time so I'm sure you could do a decently budget freindly setup going that route as well.

Plus, I can't remember the last time I saw a setup on here with an internal wastegated turbo...theres most likely a good reason for that too! But good luck whichever route you end up going.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get the 260 dollar gt45 E bay turbo and youll have money to spare for your extras.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Plus, I can't remember the last time I saw a setup on here with an internal wastegated turbo...theres most likely a good reason for that too!"

Many turbo Buicks w/ the internal gates...Then, you may have not seen them, as they were too far ahead of you!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Nothing wrong with a internal gate. I'm not familiar with the turbo you are talking about
but the internal gate part of the deal is fine.

Back in the day I turbo charged all kind stuff with turbos that come off Thunder Bird turbo coupes and Buick GN's, all of those turbos are internally gated. IIRC they were setup to run about 6-10 psi.

That Holeset is more than likely a diesel turbo, it is probably set to run more boost than that. You can replace the actuator with one that is more in line with what your trying to do.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
"Plus, I can't remember the last time I saw a setup on here with an internal wastegated turbo...theres most likely a good reason for that too!"

Many turbo Buicks w/ the internal gates...Then, you may have not seen them, as they were too far ahead of you!
Funny you guys mention turbo buicks. I own an 87 Grand National and also a 4BT Cummins with a Holset WH1C. Both have internal waste gates. So I guess the internal waste gate just makes sense to me. As a new guy on this site, I'm surprised to see pretty much all external gate turbos.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHRIS-CBRPerformance
IIRC they were setup to run about 6-10 psi.

biggest deal with a properly sized external over an internal is at higher boost levels (typically 15psi or higher) you have solid boost control since the external can move enough air, while most internals can't handle the amount of air needed so you run into boost creep issues.
personally, if you have the room and aren't already using an internally gated turbo, id go with an external setup. If your using an internally gated turbo and plan on going high boost, weld up the gate and go external.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

I am building a LS1 with a holset turbo as we speak, the turbo will work but since it is for a diesel that will build 35ish psi and the car only takes around 10ish. The easy thing todo as I did was buy a external wastegate under $100 on ebay since I'm guessing you got the turbo real cheap as the dodge guys are always changing out turbos.

Quick Reply: turbo with internal wastegate for budget 5.3 build