Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1954 Hudson Hornet Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1954 Hudson Hornet Build Thread

Well I guess that I have been lurking long enough and it is time to bring my frankencar out in the light of day. I have owned this Hudson for almost ten years now. I purchased it off of ebay when I was sixteen and drove it almost constantly for over a year with the stock engine. When I went out to get in the car one morning it no longer would start and so began a very long and drawn out saga that has lead me to this point and included many false starts on the project and a less the scrupulous mechanic who disappeared with my car for four years. The car currently has a second generation camaro front clip installed along with a stock rear end and 3.07 gears.

I have purchased a 2001 5.3 that is going in the car, I have completely disassembled the engine and will start putting it back together next week hopefully. I am getting a used cam from someone here on the board for an amazing price however I may not install it due to it being to much cam for the engine I am waiting on the manufacture to get back with me about the specs on the cam. If that cam does not work does any one have any suggestions as to a good 5.3 cam that wont break the bank? I am also installing flat top pistons to raise the compression ratio a little bit. I am currently searching for a set of heads as one of the ones that I have was completely destroyed in the crash, I am on a very tight budget and time schedule so I am toying with the idea of using some 243 heads that I found locally as I have not been able to find any good prices on 5.3 heads. If I use the 243's I plan on having them milled enough to keep the compression ratio up. But I am somewhat worried about PTV clearance with the flat top pistons.

Currently I am trying to decide what transmission to use I would love to use a T56 but I do not think that it will play well with 3.07 gears, so I am leaning towards using an NV3500 (I know that it is not ideal) and keeping my foot out of it until I get the money and time to upgrade the rear end. My other option would be to go with a 4l60E however I have my heart set on a manual, so barring any huge problems that is the way that I will go. Does anyone have an suggestions on other transmission options?

Finally the reason for the hurried nature of this project is that I start a new job with a large Fire Department at the end of March and if I do not get this thing on the road now I do not know when I will get the chance again, (it also helps that my current employer allows me to work on my car at the shop and to use the fabrication equipment). I am currently having computer problems but I will try and post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 01-20-2012, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hbabler
Currently I am trying to decide what transmission to use I would love to use a T56 but I do not think that it will play well with 3.07 gears, so I am leaning towards using an NV3500 (I know that it is not ideal) and keeping my foot out of it until I get the money and time to upgrade the rear end. My other option would be to go with a 4l60E however I have my heart set on a manual, so barring any huge problems that is the way that I will go. Does anyone have an suggestions on other transmission options?
How about a 4L-80E with a manual Valve body? Pick up a used one off craigslist, add this....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4L80E-3/
.....pick a converter that matches your engine, and drop it off at a transmission center for a basic rebuild with the valve body install. Should be good for up to 700hp, and should have a great gear range for those 3.07 gears you have.

Only thing you don't get is a clutch.....
Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Cool car I'm researching a combo for my chopped '51 Mercury.

I'd say if you want it to chop a bit, don't want a big cam, maybe look at stuff used like 224/224//112 ish.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestions, so if I went with the manual valve body how would it be shifted? Would I use a hurst ratchet shifter or something else? Thanks for the suggestion on the cam I really know nothing about performance camshafts.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Yep, you have to manually shift it through the gears. So if you are in 3rd or 4th, and come to a full stop you need to also shift down to 1st when you start driving again.

I would not do a RMVB setup in a street car, only a drag car (I've personally had 2 RMVB setups last 7 years).

I'm personally wanting to do a 4L80E m'self.

I like my TH350 but I'd like overdrive.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Teching In

I have done some research on the manual valve body and after my research I have to say that I agree with you and I do not think that it would be a good choice for a street car.
My update for the day is that I scored a short block with a spun bearing on a connecting rod, two heads that I had checked today and they checked out great, and a large amount of random parts all for $150.00 so I think that today turned out pretty well.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Please, please follow through & complete a build of some sort. It would be a damn shame to own a Hudson Hornet & not have it out on the road. Post up some pics as well. Hudson Hornet is an aweseome historical car. Would love to see one out on the road.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hbabler
No chance of changing those rear end gears, or maybe converting to a different rear end that has more aftermarket support? That would be my first suggestion, but if that doesn't pan out, something like a Richmond 6 speed which uses all numerically lower gears, with a 1:1 6th gear would probably be a good match for the 3.07s.

Awesome build by the way. After watching Cars with my 2 year old about a million times, I've really become quite fond of Hudsons, and I'd love to do an LS swap on one.

Quick Reply: 1954 Hudson Hornet Build Thread