Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Z28 vs random Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z28 vs random Silverado

So I'm on my way home today, going down the highway which is mostly empty with very little traffic. I take advantage of this and go about 65-70MPH, where the speed limit is 55MPH. I move over in the left lane to pass a white Silverado, has a lift kit and a loud exhaust on it. I pass him, get about a half car length ahead of him when I hear a noise. I couldn't tell what it was at first, but after a moment it registered that it was an engine. I check my rear view mirror to see that he is lurching forward, trying to race me either because

A. I have a loud exhaust, so he concludes I am the racing type

or
B. It's a Camaro

Either way, I wasn't going to let him walk away with something to brag about. I have an automatic, so it has a lot less pull from a roll. Luckily I was going about 70MPH or so, and from that speed flooring it actually has some decent pull. I put the pedal all the way down immediately, his front bumper barely lined up with my rear bumper before I started pulling away. By 85MPH I was easily 2-3 car lengths ahead of him and I decided to let off. I coasted another 1/4 mile or so occasionally checking my rear view mirror. Again I see him begin to speed up, I thought to myself, it's time to put him in his place for good.

This time I floored it again raisin my car to about 100MPH before letting off. He was easily 1 to 2 full semi lengths behind me by this point. I let off and coasted for the next half mile to a stop sign. I expected him to roll up next to me and make some comment, hopefully a positive one. I don't see him slowing down. Instead he takes the next right, right before the stop sign and accelerates away. Oh well.

I know it's nothing to brag on, beating a 5,000 lb truck. But this means competition is very rare indeed if the only contenders I have are local rednecks who put a loud exhaust on a V8 truck that has no real racing prowess to speak of. The only reason I "raced" him, was to keep people like him in their place.

I do expect to receive a lot of negative comments from this thread, but it was a random race I had today, and I felt the need to share it.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotta love when people don't have the stones to congrat you for the win!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
Gotta love when people don't have the stones to congrat you for the win!
It's okay, it was a truck. I take no pride in the kill, just keeping these rednecks in their place.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
It's okay, it was a truck. I take no pride in the kill.

come on up and I'll give ya a proper introduction to racing a truck (assuming your sig is still accurate)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1TFROT
come on up and I'll give ya a proper introduction to racing a truck (assuming your sig is still accurate)
Lol. Well....99% of trucks out there are no racers.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

I hear ya. good kill either way and it's always nice to catch a run or 2. try being in my shoes. nobody wants to race a truck.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1TFROT
I hear ya. good kill either way and it's always nice to catch a run or 2. try being in my shoes. nobody wants to race a truck.
If the truck was toying with me first I would race them!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love doing that to these pickup bozos.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol i get the jealous kid in a shitty truck normally. I just run it 2 a hundred from a 50 roll and when he pulls up at a stop sign i will pull up my e brake before they can see it and say hey man want to go again e brake was up.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

good story. i consider your tale as more of a "asshat trying to be an extreme ASSHAT" sort of moment. What i mean is.... you're minding your own business, just trying to get somewhere at "you pace". then some jackass takes offense to your driving? So he/she has to get involved.. the only way they know how is to screw with you, ride your ***, highbeam you, box you in. you name it.. If it weren't for my current job these situations (as they happen to me at least once every week or so, somewhere) would've ended with verbal (at minimum) confrontation.

Happen to me last night coming home from a party in NY. some bored motorist decides that even though they are happy doing 55, in their own lane, with no one in front of them, gets angry with me because i would like to go faster. so i move over to the left and begin to pass... all of a sudden he is now going 75 and we are side by side as a car in my lane is now only 5-600ft in front of me... so i slow up and guess what the j/o does?? yes!! you guessed it.. slows up and boxes me in..

so i pull an old "TOP GUN" move and slam on the brakes... dart behind and around his passenger side and im off..75-85-95.. this clown is trying to now "race" me.. all i am trying to do is get away from this j/o.

so i slow up (as i am getting off at next exit (a mile or so up) anyway and as he comes up to my driver's side, i put the interior light on, open my extremely dark tinted window (as i try to mind my own business, idc about you, you can't see me, so there's no mistaking my anonymity for celeb status, i just like privacy that's all) and point right at him. that's all it took (this time) for him to understand i am at the end of playing "nice".
Why does it need to come to that??

people, in general, suck.

PS, moments like that are why i need an even faster car lol.. took way to long to "rid myself" of this *******.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

would have been better if it were a tool in a diesel that blows a lot of smoke
Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Tony what kind of car was the guy driving?
Banned

Originally Posted by why87
Oh yes. Especially one of those "Powerstroke" Fords. I always hear people bragging on them, saying they're a very fast diesel truck capable of beating my car. LS1's are so rare around here, no one really knows...they just assume it's an old Camaro.
TECH Fanatic

That is dumb when people tune the truck to blow black **** on peoples cars.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wav3form
Tony what kind of car was the guy driving?
we were in my wife's '11 V6 durango. Asshat was driving a newer Ford F150. around same slowness but..... his speed limiter is like mid 90's and the D's is well past 110 jerk off..

The TBSS is fast enough to deal with most of these types lol.. i was just spoiled when we had that and the Tuned 6.2 Yukon.. or my genesis 4.6 sedan as well.. trying to find a car my wife is happy with, this one seems to fit the bill (Hemi was only marginally faster and got 13mpg as opposed to the 17+ this one gets in the cty. so i made the tough choice )
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill!

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
i was just spoiled when we had that and the Tuned 6.2 Yukon.. or my genesis 4.6 sedan as well.. trying to find a car my wife is happy with, this one seems to fit the bill (Hemi was only marginally faster and got 13mpg as opposed to the 17+ this one gets in the cty. so i made the tough choice )
I would love a TB SS like yours. Driving up and looking at one tomorrow up in Sioux Falls. The new Yukon is nice! Would love a Denali Sierra as well
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have alot of these guys in my area, there super fast built trucks untill you run them , then there just smoke blowing turtles
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an automatic, so it has a lot less pull from a roll.
I log on here because I learn something new every day.
Some trucks like to race..

Camera car-
AFR 205s
FAST 90
226 cam
EWP
Full exhaust
Manual stock 3.42s
dyno tune
etc...

Truck was on its low boost setting.. IIRC it was on 16 that night? At the track and more serious races he moves to 24.
Truck MOVES!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had more people try to race my truck in the last few months than my car.

This is how it looked at the time, stock 5.3 with stock exhaust, no badges and tinted...for all they knew it was a v6:

Here it is now. Rear lowered, newer tails, removed molding, plasti-dipped chrome on mirrors, 17" alloys. Desperately need to get off my lazy butt and install the headers and exhaust I have (dual thrush welded mufflers):

Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kill.

I'm tired of guys in big, jacked up trucks thinking they're hot ****. There's a crap load of em around here.

Every now and then, on the way to work, I have some douche in a new black silverado ride my *** in a 35 while i'm doing about 35-40 and this guy blows past me at like 60-70 and then doesn't stop at the stop sign right past the school. This isn't even half a mile out of town where i've seen people get tickets.

Edit: Maybe it's karma, since I used to do this kinda stuff in my firebird when I first got it? Lol.

Last edited by Stinger22009; 01-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Z28 vs random Silverado