Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 volt setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 volt setup

Anyone running a 16 volts alternator and battery setup.
Looking for which alt to buy and bracket setups. Can a stock ls alt be built to 16 volts. Any pics would be cool.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboyzcamaro
Anyone running a 16 volts alternator and battery setup.
Looking for which alt to buy and bracket setups. Can a stock ls alt be built to 16 volts. Any pics would be cool.

...why?

The PCM tables @ 16v would negate any engine related purpose that it might have had & w/ an alternator your looking for current (load). The voltage remains somewhat stable because the alt is replacing current related to resistance or the load that it sees. It is possible to have a higher current 140A, 12v system. Don't need 16v to get there.

If the reasons are related to some headlight or LED 16v set up...that can be a different story.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. I'm learning as I go. That's y I ask question.
So basically the guys using a 16 volts battery not using a alternator. That was my plans at first. But I'm probably goIng to bracket race my car on motor now.
So the electic part of this ls I'm not familiar yet. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fatboyzcamaro
Thanks for the info. I'm learning as I go. That's y I ask question.
So basically the guys using a 16 volts battery not using a alternator. That was my plans at first. But I'm probably goIng to bracket race my car on motor now.
So the electic part of this ls I'm not familiar yet. Thanks for your help.

Ah, OK. 16v for racing w/ no alternator. Didn't think of that. You wouldn't need any special modifications to run the 16v battery. The PCM will adjust the spark dwell time & fuel injector pulse times as the voltage changes.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock PCM actually reads up to 18.0 volts in the injector offset table and 26 volts in the coil dwell table...the dwell table looks calibrated UP to 16 volts, and then it goes flat after that.

I'm not sure how everything in the vehicle will react to 16 volts though...not sure if you're going to be blowing fuses, or having any other problems with the voltage...it's not a LOT higher than I see stuff run anyways (mid-low 14's sometimes), but it is a voltage I've never seen a 12 volt car hit before.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM

Thumbs up

We have a 95 Camaro lt1 - with a 12&16 volt battery, and 16 volt Self Exciting and regulating alternator. We power lights and dash with 12V terminal and run everything else off of the 16V terminal. Starts with ease. the ignition system loves the extra voltage, and the stability of constant voltage, and if we want to unhook alt for a lil racing action, the extra voltage is great. LOW voltage damages most electronics.
We have a huge stereo system, and the amps are fed the 16 volt with ease. The benefits are incredible, keep studying - fans, and everything else will run fast, cooler, and draw less current. 33% faster. We use theV 12163241 dual 12 & 16 volt battery. They built us a drop in 16 volt alternator that works flawlessly. (19.25 volt max at full output - 125a)
Attached Thumbnails 16 volt setup-16-volt-battery.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by partsmore
We have a 95 Camaro lt1 - with a 12&16 volt battery, and 16 volt Self Exciting and regulating alternator. We power lights and dash with 12V terminal and run everything else off of the 16V terminal. Starts with ease. the ignition system loves the extra voltage, and the stability of constant voltage, and if we want to unhook alt for a lil racing action, the extra voltage is great. LOW voltage damages most electronics.
We have a huge stereo system, and the amps are fed the 16 volt with ease. The benefits are incredible, keep studying - fans, and everything else will run fast, cooler, and draw less current. 33% faster. We use theV 12163241 dual 12 & 16 volt battery. They built us a drop in 16 volt alternator that works flawlessly. (19.25 volt max at full output - 125a)

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. Did you modify the voltage tables to take better advantage of the 16v related to spark dwell time? Would assume no mods are needed for injector pulse.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by partsmore
That's very cool. I've never seen one of those batteries before, thank you for posting.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Launching!

I been looking at them. Several companies sell them. Rock racing I believe out of N.C. Sell a nice one also. Just looking for more info if any one running on ls setup.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Default Revist the 16volt setup

It's been over a year since this post went up- So any positives or negatives (no pun intended) on running the 16volt systems on a standard LS1 ECU and ignition system so far?

We're running an electric water pump, electric fans and electric power steering pump (it's a drift car) and I think its all a bit too much draw to have a strong reliable ignition system now, even with a 140a alternator.

Quick Reply: 16 volt setup