Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Looking to purchase my first LS1 car...need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase my first LS1 car...need help

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a 2002 Trans am with the WS6 package. I have a few questions and I am familiar with these types of websites. These are the best places to get quality input so i'm thanking you ahead of time. LOL Anyway, here is what i'm looking at....2002 Trans am with the WS6 package, 45,xxx miles, t-tops, auto tranny, black leather interior, and it has a quad tipped stainless magnaflow exhaust. Also the ram air (air filter box) under the hood has the clear plastic so i'm assuming that is aftermarket as well. Here is the bad, the car runs and shifts excellent, but when you hit the gas there is a light knock. I didn't notice it when driving it normal but when you give it gas or when the hood is up and rev it up with the throttle cable you can hear a slight knock for a second (not throwing any codes though). I'm not sure if the dealership had put regular or premium in the tank and i'm not sure if that would cause it (it's almost on E). For some reason the cruise control module under the hood and cable is missing and both inside door panels are cracked from the window down a couple inches. They are clean looking but cracked. Other than that the car is super clean inside and out. Looks almost brand new (seals are soft, carpet and leather seats are clean and with no wear damage, and the hood and all panels line up correctly). Even under the front clip there is no signs of curb damage. Car doesn't seem to be molested. My girlfriends son works at the dealership so they are giving me the so called "family price". They want $14,400 plus the usual fee's. I only have one pic so far. Any input would be greatly appreciated and if I get this car i'm looking forward to joining the forum. I currently have an 04' grand cherokee with a 4" lift and a 87 Grand National. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

87 Grand National I would love to see pics of. Welcome to the site. The price on that car with that mileage is right on with the KBB private party value of the car. Maybe you can shave a little bit off the price, especially with the light knock and cruise control missing... That knock might be bad gas or low octane gas. I would definitely have them check it out. Surely with that low of mileage it isnt the motor going already..The clear lid is an aftermarket and i think those always looked pretty cool. The door panel cracks are the most common complaints about these cars. There is an entire thread here devoted to those. I just had an extra set of panels repaired from a company called fibrenew and they did a real good job of repairing the cracks if that were to bug you that bad. I know mine did..haha. I also noticed the previous owner had the brake calipers painted red. Looks good. Im not sure why they cruise control would have been removed. A lot of people, including myself, remove the A.I.R system from these cars and it cleans up the engine bay quite nicely. Its hard to find cars like this with low mileage..it took me forever to find one. Mine is an 01 WS6 that has 13,888 on the clock.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Oh and does the knocking go away after a short bit? if so, it sounds like piston slap which was also pretty common for LS1's
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking car.
if you could get it for $13,500 or so I go for it.
Have them look into the knock though for sure.
Good luck!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. The car only seems to do it when throttle is first applied (just for a split second) and found out it has been sitting for almost 3 months......with almost no gas. I'm guessing the low octane has to do with it. They said I could take it overnight so i'm going to do that on Monday and i'm willing to put a few of my own bucks in the tank via 93 octane and see if it goes away. Is the piston slap something I should worry about? Like I said, i'm not familair with these engines yet to know the little quirks.If I get it ill just order some new door skins. I'll check out the threads on the doors. Thanks again for your help!!! I'm trying to make them sweat on the price. I'll put a pic or two up of my GN for ya soon.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Piston slap isnt that big of a deal. Mine does it only when its cold out and only for a few seconds. No worries.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kinda high priced if you ask me. I'd say 12k at best for that car after the family discount.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Kinda high priced if you ask me. I'd say 12k at best for that car after the family discount.
I agree. The family discount isn't always the bottom dollar.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Well guys I found the car. Its a 00' and here are the stats.

2000 navy blue metallic Pontiac Trans Am WS6
- Auto
- Ttops
- Black Leather
- Keyless entry
- Over $850 in new BF Goodrich tires in Sept 2011, approx 400 miles on them (Discount Tire, lifetime rotation, repair, and replacement certificates)
- Over $900 in preventative maintenance with receipts, July 2011 (flushed all fluids including rear end, new brakes, Mobil 1 synthetic since new)
- B&M deep tranny pan, July 2011
- Volant dual cone intake, May 2011
- Smooth bellow, May 2011
- Ported/polished throttle body, powdercoated NBM, May 2011
- UMI strut tower brace, May 2011
- Aftermarket exhaust
- Sequential rear signals
- Cross drilled rotors all around
- Framed original window sticker, exhaust tips, intake, tranny pan, and ttop sunshades included
- Trickle charger and cover
- 2 sets of keys and 2 key fobs

The car is in near perfect shape (neither door panels are cracked. Yeah!!! LOL). The interior is in near perfect shape (have pics). The only issue is a slow passenger window motor. I know i'm paying a little much for it at 14K, but for the condition and few goodies it comes with i'm willing to pay it.It also has a SLP loudmouth exhaust. I should be picking it up in 2 weeks (weather pending). I'm looking forward to spending hours on end on this website.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats sounds like a nice ride and not to bad of a price with the mods and miles
the window fix is a easy one its actually a common problem theres vendors here that sell the fix to it
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome looking car...tasteful mods and low mileage. Win. I overpaid for my 01 WS6 with 13,000 miles but wouldn't hesitate to do it again. LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

are those ws.6 wheels in the first pictures??
Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam kidd
are those ws.6 wheels in the first pictures??
That was the first car I was looking at. It was an 02 with the same miles but had some motor issues. I do believe those are WS6 wheels.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome
Old 02-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

The first picture is the Speedline wheels that came on some of the 2001 and all of the 2002 cars. The 2000 car has the WS6 wheels.