Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reduced engine power for 3rd time, LS2

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reduced engine power for 3rd time, LS2

Today, for the 3rd time in approx. 4 weeks, my ls2 went into "reduced engine power" mode and the engine light and TC light remains on. I was doing about 60mph on the highway, just cruising and it came on. The first 2 times, i resetted the ECM by pulling the 10A fuse underhood. It seems to hold the engine light from not coming on for about a week or so, then reduced engine power comes back and will not go over 2000rpm. Any suggestions? I really dont have access to a scanner. I know tonite im going to pull the fuse and everything will be good again but give it a week or so and it will be back. btw the car is a 06 cts-v and is bone stock

Last edited by family-man; 02-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine light comes on because there is a code set. It will be throttle related since it goes into reduced engine power mode. Until you get the code no one can help you.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to pull a code from it when it happens..we should be able to help ya out!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

So i reset the ECM again, if i DONT wait till the engine light comes on, will i still be able to pull the code beforehand? Reason im asking is because the only day i can really get time to scan it by a shop is Saturday, but lets say it comes on again on a tuesday, and i dont want to be driving with the reduced power for 4 days till i can make the shop hours...

also, is there any risk driving with reduced power?

Last edited by family-man; 02-14-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a chance the code will set in the history, wouldnt hurt to check, otherwise, youll havta catch it when it happens.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

is there any risk driving with reduced power?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by family-man
is there any risk driving with reduced power?
Looking like an idiot?

Sorry I couldn't resist. You need to buy yourself a $30 bluetooth scanner off ebay. That and your smartphone running "torque" will become your best friend for reading/clearing codes. And good luck with your issue I too have a REP issue and its annoying as all hell.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My buddy had the same problem in his 05 V, ended up being a bad throttle body (kept throwing the same throttle position codes). He replaced it and afterward it drove just fine.

If it was modded, I would've said that some airflow tables would have to be updated to increase the threshhold of when the car goes into reduced power, but I doubt that's the case with your bone stock car. My guess is a bad motor in the throttle body throwing a code and the pcm reacting to that code by going into reduced power mods.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM

This will sound crazy but when I was a mechanic in Iraq I used to get all kinds of GM cars and trucks with the same problem. All we ever did because of lack of parts was remove and cleaned the throttle body with brake cleaner because that's all we had and it fixed the problem everytime. Hope this helps, but I would use something other than brake cleaner, also we cleaned around the intake.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cicero2323
This will sound crazy but when I was a mechanic in Iraq I used to get all kinds of GM cars and trucks with the same problem. All we ever did because of lack of parts was remove and cleaned the throttle body with brake cleaner because that's all we had and it fixed the problem everytime. Hope this helps, but I would use something other than brake cleaner, also we cleaned around the intake.
thanks for the reply.

should i pull the throttle body off the intake, or just take the air intake tube off and clean if i do need to remove the TB will i need to use a new gasket or can i still re-use my existing gasket?

and if you guys used brake cleaner. Brake cleaner is recommended or carb/tb cleaner is better..and will i run into an issues cleaning my DBW TB?

Last edited by family-man; 02-15-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is best to remove it to clean it. Hold the motor part to the top so that none of the cleaner gets into it. The gasket is usually fine to reuse. Some cars need the idle relearn done with a scan tool after having it cleaned or you will run into more problems.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by redtan
My buddy had the same problem in his 05 V, ended up being a bad throttle body (kept throwing the same throttle position codes). He replaced it and afterward it drove just fine.

If it was modded, I would've said that some airflow tables would have to be updated to increase the threshhold of when the car goes into reduced power, but I doubt that's the case with your bone stock car. My guess is a bad motor in the throttle body throwing a code and the pcm reacting to that code by going into reduced power mods.
i got a Cam and headers on my truck runs fine tuned it and progressively it throws reduced engine power mode while driving almost seems like it loses air to fuel ratio while cruising at high speeds around 80-90 mph so you think I need to take it back to the tuner ??
Old 06-26-2022, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by ignaciogmc
i got a Cam and headers on my truck runs fine tuned it and progressively it throws reduced engine power mode while driving almost seems like it loses air to fuel ratio while cruising at high speeds around 80-90 mph so you think I need to take it back to the tuner ??
Who are you asking? OP hasn't been here for over 6 years.
You are addressing a TEN YEAR old thread.
Also, try not to use one long run-on sentence in your posts. VERY hard to read.

Quick Reply: reduced engine power for 3rd time, LS2