New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering & Water pump leak screwed alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering & Water pump leak screwed alternator?

My steering fluid has been slowly leaking for months on to my alternator. And for the past 2 months I've had a cooland leak somewhere. The water leak got worse over time. Now I can drive about 15 or 20 miles and then the cooland light comes on. Well it looks like its the water pump and its been leaking onto the alternator also. Yesterday I kind of heard a weird noise when I started my car. I didn't pay attention to the gage until later on that night and notice my battery was really low. I looked under my car today and see a bunch of water leaking onto the alternator when the car is on. I also see a lot of power steering fluid dripping from the alternator. Am I right to assume these leaks caused this problem or the alternator can withstand leaks of that nature?

Next thing is how much is a water pump and how much is an alternator? I already know where to take my steering problem to.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:03 PM
wrencher

The alternator is somewhat tolerant of those conditions.
If it gummed it up with crap like dirt/dust fromall the fluids on it, that might be a problem.
Another problem could also be the insulation on regulator or stator getting damaged from the fluids.
Your lookin' at $400 for these both approx to be R&R'd.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Yeah it looked pretty dirty under there. 400 for parts or 400 to repair alternator and replace water pump?
Old 03-20-2004, 10:00 PM
wrencher

Your gonna be at 4 bills easy for both parts installed.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After fixing both leaks have you alternator tested before thrashing it. Get some electrical cleaner, take it apart and clean it good to get the power steering fluid off of it. Clean the terminals real good too. Put it back together and have it tested. Then you will know if its still good. Most auto parts stores will test it for free.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:45 PM
wrencher

It takes special test equipment to field & test a LS1 PCM controlled alternator, make sure they know what their doing or you will have a bad alternator, or at least a bad regulator.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Teching In

i replaced my water pump a couple of months ago. 200 bucks for an oem from napa with a life time warranty, or kragen has rebuilts for like 170.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ram-it
After fixing both leaks have you alternator tested before thrashing it. Get some electrical cleaner, take it apart and clean it good to get the power steering fluid off of it. Clean the terminals real good too. Put it back together and have it tested. Then you will know if its still good. Most auto parts stores will test it for free.
Kind of pressed for time right now. I need that bad boy working tomorrow at least. I dropped off the battery to get charged. Hopefully it's the battery, but if not I am going to try and clean off the alternator from the gunk. I don't have time to take it off today, so I was wondering if I could use some orange blast and wd 40 while I'm under the car to clean up the gunk then spray it all off with a hose and let it dry for a few hours. Let me know.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fade_to_black_98z
i replaced my water pump a couple of months ago. 200 bucks for an oem from napa with a life time warranty, or kragen has rebuilts for like 170.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take it too the car wash and blast of the top/bottom and surrounding area of the alternator, that should take off pretty much all the gunk.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Launching!

I think I found my problem with my alternator. In this pic you will see a red wire entering some black opening being held in by some red cap or something of that nature. I noticed my red wire was just hanging around and that red cap is totally missing.

Look at the two nuts. This is my problem. I turn one and the other turns also. I tried to get a needle nose plyer behind there, but can't get a good grip.

I know this is an LT but it has the same single wire connection.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Launching!

I took it off and cleaned with orange blast and a hose. Went to get it tested at discount and pep boys and its not putting out the correct volts. Steering fluid screwed me. I'm taking the water pump out to replace and the steering pump to replace. Sux....I was ready to work on the cam and headers. Oh well I have 92000 miles and these things were bound to happen.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said any shop can test them for you. Glad to hear you have found the problem.

Quick Reply: Power steering & Water pump leak screwed alternator?