Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fans Not Turning on, After Water Pump change

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cooling Fans Not Turning on, After Water Pump change

yesterday I swapped out the water pump with no problems. after I started up the car and filled it up with coolant, I noticed the temp went up to 215-220 degrees. When the car never before got up past 190. And while refilling I noticed the cooling fans were not kicking on. I did not remove the fans or disconnect them. Does anybody have any ideas on what is happening or should I just check the fan relays and if so how do I go about doing so.

And on a side note. My A/C compressor is squeeling horribly. I am pretty sure it is the compressor because I took the belt off and it seemed to stop. Will this harm anything if I leave the belt off for an extended amount of time? Other then the pump itself, because its going bad anyway.

If anyone has input on these it would help out greatly, since I might be forced to pull the Firebird back out of storage since my DD is starting to have issues also.

thanks!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

check the 40 amp fuse in the fuse block in the engine compartment. it's a visual, mine blew after my wreck. if not it. try chasing your wires and make sure they are connected real good. go for the simple things first. i started to freak and stepped back and found a fuse. check and see if a trouble code develops mine did . run your engine and observe with a flash light to watch fans as temp rises. hope this helps and good luck. oldman...
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Launching!

thats the thing, i couldnt watch the fans because yhe building i store my car in doesnt have grounded outlets so i couldnt use my drop light. but they are normally very loud and i didnt hear them once. am going back down some time today, and really am going to focus on the fans.

and knowlage on the compressor? right now i dont need AC and would most likely replace it when the weather starts warming up.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

check that fuse,first
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

fans are hard to see without a good flash light your are right you can hear them. watch your coolant level it needs to be filled afew times to get rid of air bubbles.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Launching!

yeah i hear you. I was gonna go through the whole refill process again today. can an air bubble restrict flow or some thing similair to cause a rise in operating temps? and while refilling i was squeezing hoses and filling as needed, are there any other methods to get the bubbles out?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

a/c is ok to leave the belt off
Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brooknasty
a/c is ok to leave the belt off
k, thanks. i will probly take it back off after my buddy brings stethascope over so give everything a listen.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if there is an air bubble in it, it will cause a hot spot. could be right where the CTS is.

if i remember correctly, the low fan is pretty quiet and the high fan wont kick on untill it gets pretty warm. 220 is still within the stock operating range...on the high side, but its not an abnormal temp.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

an easy way to check fan operation is to use the AC. when the AC is commanded (whether or not the belt is on) it should kick the low fan on.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Launching!

I think I got all the air bubbles out. And after we let the cooling system cycle a couple times the fans came on. It is running about 210 when last summer it never got over 200 with the a/c on.

And since I had the stethoscope took a listen to a lot of things. And found my injectors are sounding a little weak. Some don't have the nice clean click that others have...its always something lol.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was gonna say, theres gotta be air in the system, especially at the coolant temp sensor, because its not sensing coolant temp, therefore no need to command the fans on.

Quick Reply: Cooling Fans Not Turning on, After Water Pump change