Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Organizing an Informal Musclecar Meet in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Organizing an Informal Musclecar Meet in Atlanta

I'm am in the process of organizing an informal muscle car meet in Atlanta and would like to extend an invitation for our LS1Tech friends to join in. Currently I have 10 members from SVTPerformance.com interested in the meet.

So far here is the paraphrase of what we are working on:

Being that morning weekend meets have become popular (i.e. Caffeine and Octane) I want to get input from local people on if we could start a meet of our own. Nothing official at first, for example the 2nd Saturday morning at 9:00am we could meet at an area breakfast joint. Could be coffee and doughnuts or a diner. I'd like to get a few ideas for places that you all think would be a good place to meet, try and think centrally located to the city to keep the driving distance fair to everyone and make it more accessible.

For Example:

The Jane in Grant Park, they have a fairly good sized parking lot with Barnett Performance next door who might let us use their lot (http://barnettperformance.com/) and plenty of off street parking. For food there is Octane Coffee Bar (http://octanecoffee.com/) and Ria's Bluebird (http://riasbluebird.com/)

Alright then...I will get to working on it. I'll talk to the performance shop and see if they'll let us park there. If not the building that the coffee shop is in has plenty of space in the morning, and as long as we buy at least a cup of coffee they can't really say much as to us being there, but I don't foresee any problems anyhow.

Here's a map of the location I'm suggesting, its about 1 mile east of I-75 off of I-20. Tell me what you think about making the drive here, we could meet say 9:00 or 9:30.

http://www.thejaneatgrantpark.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8...ed=0CCEQ8gEwAA

I like this location because its a good location between the main North/South and East/West Interstates making it easier for most people to travel to in the shortest time.

If this location is acceptable would you like to meet the First Saturday or Second Saturday of the month?

For planning purpose the first Sat. will be March 3rd (not this Sat but the following) or the second will be March 10th (3 Saturdays away)?

I would like input from members here as well. I think this would be an enjoyable gathering for all.

~Brad
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a good idea, kinda surprised we don't have something like this already.

However. I never set foot inside the perimeter unless I'm required to do so.

I can see the relevance of having it near a performance equipment spot though.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

... not sure I like the idea of downtown Atlanta for me, but cool idea for those who are local or don't mind the distance.

As you get into this "informal muscle car meet", I would difinitely be interested in something at a dragway. I am not sure of the costs of rentals and how many would participate, by I am just thinking out loud!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why don't we figure out where all the "atlanta area" pepole are located, then try to schedule a meet in proximity to most of them.

I can't imagine us being the only 2 that don't like going downtown. I avoid it at all costs. The only time I drive through is when I go straight through it on 20 75 or 85. I've lived here 5 years, never set foot on the city streets.

I figure, marietta or perhaps gwinnett or something.. I dunno. I'd rather meet somewhere farther away that's outside the perimeter than inside heh.

course I don't guess there's anything wrong with us northwestern side folks meeting up sometime.. (yall probably think I'm crazy by now tho and don't wanna do that tho. )
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
why don't we figure out where all the "atlanta area" pepole are located, then try to schedule a meet in proximity to most of them.

I can't imagine us being the only 2 that don't like going downtown. I avoid it at all costs. The only time I drive through is when I go straight through it on 20 75 or 85. I've lived here 5 years, never set foot on the city streets.

I figure, marietta or perhaps gwinnett or something.. I dunno. I'd rather meet somewhere farther away that's outside the perimeter than inside heh.

course I don't guess there's anything wrong with us northwestern side folks meeting up sometime.. (yall probably think I'm crazy by now tho and don't wanna do that tho. )
Ok ... we have two for NW ... Douglasville and Cartersville.

When it gets warmer, there is a Saturday night "cruise-in" car show on the square in downtown Cartersville once a month. I may take mine up a few times this year.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know downtown dallas has similar. Thought about bringing my 57, but I'm afraid that's too far for the car on these old tires.

Camaro looks like chicken fried ***, so it's FAR from car show worthy. cracked fender, dent in the rear 1/4, scratched up hood.. peeling sail panel.. looks better than it used to tho..
Old 02-22-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Mine looks very good, but, for the most part, looks like any other clean 4th gen Pewter SS (I like the "stock look"). There are a few famous roof bubbles and the ever so faint famous "cracking" on the SLP hood. For me, it is what is under the hood and how it performs in a straight line. I have done turns in four wheels and on two wheels and it's time to get back into straight line performance.

A "shoebox" sounds promising though ... care to share?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh its just an old 4 door my uncle restored in the 80s. Needs to be re-restored really..

283 2bbl, powerglide, tires from the 80s.. dryrotting and unsafe to drive on.

one cracked leaf spring, leaking rear diff, leaking tranny, leaking RMs. I never move it unless I need it to get out of the way. kinda like to go 5.3/4L60E. Hunters has a 57 nomad they're going LS with. I've been waiting to see how they go about getting the motor mounts in there.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

NW already has its Caffeine and Octane meet in Marietta. Plus this is event is being coordinated for ease of access...its not really downtown ATL its a neighborhood that's southeast of downtown called Grant Park. The proximity to I-20 and I-75/85 makes it easy for everyone to access. Going up north makes it a further drive for those who live south of the city or out to the east and west like Dallas and Conyers. At 9:00am on a Saturday you won't hit much traffic and you won't ever have to drive through Downtown to get to this location.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSWon00
NW already has its Caffeine and Octane meet in Marietta. Plus this is event is being coordinated for ease of access...its not really downtown ATL its a neighborhood that's southeast of downtown called Grant Park. The proximity to I-20 and I-75/85 makes it easy for everyone to access. Going up north makes it a further drive for those who live south of the city or out to the east and west like Dallas and Conyers. At 9:00am on a Saturday you won't hit much traffic and you won't ever have to drive through Downtown to get to this location.
From what I understand, the Marietta "meet" had changed to North Point Parkway in Alpharetta in favor of more room last year.

But, after reading this comment in a local forum, I think I will pass on any involvement with these .... "also would be nice to have some filtering of cars. not to sound snobby but there seem to be a lot more factory stock 370z, mustang type cars in the main lot than i remember at the old venue. i can go to the local dealership and see those cars in every color."
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that supposed to be a meet or a car show?

There's no way my belair could make it even to marietta much less alpharetta.

If it's really just a get together it shouldn't matter what you're driving.. you could show up in an old dodge pickup for all they care. You start regulating the types and years of cars that can "enter" and it's a "car show" and not a get together.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Teching In

I'd be in for wherever. I guess I'm in the minority, but I love being downtown and go whenever I can. I'm a big city guy... Kennesaw is way too country for my tastes.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

kennesaw.. country?

hiram's too city for my taste. I like rockmart.

I could go THROUGH the city no problem, I just aint stoppin between the 285s unless I'm broken down.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Skorcher
I'd be in for wherever. I guess I'm in the minority, but I love being downtown and go whenever I can. I'm a big city guy... Kennesaw is way too country for my tastes.
I lived in Kennesaw for 10 years raising my daughter as she went attended school ... "country" is not how to describe it. Kennesaw is more suburb than country.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
Is that supposed to be a meet or a car show?

There's no way my belair could make it even to marietta much less alpharetta.

If it's really just a get together it shouldn't matter what you're driving.. you could show up in an old dodge pickup for all they care. You start regulating the types and years of cars that can "enter" and it's a "car show" and not a get together.
I always understood it as a meet, but have never attended. I am a car guy and enjoy talking about cars whether it be muscle, import, exotic, classic or antique, but I mostly enjoy muscle cars and I respect all brands, although, I am a Chevy guy. Once the bashing starts (no matter what it is), I walk off. Life is too short, but it is all over the place even on this forum.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also try to stay as far away from Atlanta as possible. Driving into the city might pose a problem for some of the louder cars...
Old 02-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Teching In

While yes, there are places around here smaller than Kennesaw, country is how to describe it when you're not from around here. I've been to Cartersville and even Adairsville. I swore I heard banjos and won't ever go back to either if I can help it, the people I saw around those places scared the hell out of me lol.
I would love to live in Manhattan or smack in the middle of downtown ATL if I could afford it. Then again, I'm not from the south so just blame it on the yankee in me.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by crazboy99
I also try to stay as far away from Atlanta as possible. Driving into the city might pose a problem for some of the louder cars...
Not if you aren't racing or doing something stupid.

I've lived in the city for years with a relatively loud car with a cutout (mostly always open) and I've never been stopped for noise.

I've even gotten speeding tickets in the city and the officer didn't say anything about the noise.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be in for something on the east side because I live in Athens. It would be nice to hear different cams/exhaust in person and I'm looking for a good tuner too.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Skorcher
While yes, there are places around here smaller than Kennesaw, country is how to describe it when you're not from around here. I've been to Cartersville and even Adairsville. I swore I heard banjos and won't ever go back to either if I can help it, the people I saw around those places scared the hell out of me lol.
I would love to live in Manhattan or smack in the middle of downtown ATL if I could afford it. Then again, I'm not from the south so just blame it on the yankee in me.
I am not from the south either ... born and raised just outside of Boston. It has nothing to do with being from the north! I was raised in the 'burbs and just prefer it to dowtown. Yes, Cartersville is "out there", but it is quiet and we built so much more of a home than Atlanta. It is literally 5 miles from each of our offices and believe me, it is very nice not sitting in traffic or dealing with the idiots on 41 in Cobb County. Wait until we retire ... it will be on the beach away from everyone. Now, Adairsville is a different story ... now that is the country ... !!!!

Quick Reply: Organizing an Informal Musclecar Meet in Atlanta