PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which software do you like and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which software do you like and why?

trying to make up my mind on what software to use for my build.

car will be a boosted 5.3

BS3, HPtuners, or fast XFI?

any experiences and tips are welcomed
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer our software, as I was a customer before working here. Its nice to be able to simply plug into your obd2 port and go, we offer custom operating system support for 1, 2 & 3 bar applications, real time tuning for many gen 3 applications, low initial cost with the ability to tune multiple vehicles with one package.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin_Notch

You can't really do a direct comparison between the 3 you mention. One is for tuning OEM PCMs and the other two are not.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have HPTuners but knowing what I know now I would probably have gone with EFILive if i had it to do over again. One reason is HPTuners lack of VVE support and failure to include the tool in their software. It's integrated with EFILive.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You can't really do a direct comparison between the 3 you mention. One is for tuning OEM PCMs and the other two are not.
True

basically asking what people are using, and why they liked it or didn't like it.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i just bought HP tuner Pro, master efi tuner book and NGK AFX wide band o2. we will see
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
I have HPTuners but knowing what I know now I would probably have gone with EFILive if i had it to do over again. One reason is HPTuners lack of VVE support and failure to include the tool in their software. It's integrated with EFILive.
Correct, instead we went the route of adding custom operating system support for E38's which offers a real VE table in place of the coefficient tables

This E38 enhancement contains the following features:
- 2.5 bar (255 kPa) max MAP sensor support (calibration capability for GM 0-5V linear MAP sensors)
- Rescaled MAF High Freq table supports up to 15400 Hz with 300 Hz resolution, also supports airflow up to 1024 g/sec
- New VE tables with 33 x 33 cell resolution each and configurable MAP and RPM axes (choose your own resolution)
- Charge Temperature based VE multiplier table, configurable axis
- TPS based VE multiplier table, 33 x 17 cells with configurable TPS and RPM axes
- MAP referenced Boost Enrich table
- Boost Enrich MAP threshold and hysteresis value
- Both MAF and Speed Density mode supported
- Boost based fuel cut, selectable MAP threshold cuts fuel to all cylinders when exceeded
- Rescaled fan temperature axis 163-250F (73-121C), stock is 192-250F (89-121C)

The MAF High Freq table has been rescaled to 5800-15400Hz at 300 Hz resolution and the maximum airflow limit for this table has also been adjusted to allow up to 1024 g/sec (instead of the stock 512 g/sec). This is excellent news for boosted applications that want to retain the MAF but reach higher than the stock 12200Hz and 512 g/sec limits.

There are three new VE tables. Two Normal tables (one for the intake manifold control open and another for closed) and one Displacement On Demand (DoD) VE table. For vehicles that do not have intake manifold control and/or DoD it is a good idea to set all three VE tables the same. There are also VE multiplier tables that can be used to change (multiply) the VE value based on Charge Temperature (Manifold Air Temperature) and TPS/RPM. The TPS Multiplier table can be useful for tuning large camshafts. On various tables the RPM/MAP/TPS axes are fully configurable, you can set the resolution to suit your application. The defaults are suited up to around 10psi boost (175 kPa) with 5 kPa MAP resolution and 200 RPM resolution from 400-6800 RPM.

Boost enrichment functions as per our other enhancements, with an enable MAP, hysteresis and Boost Enrich table. Boost enrichment also triggers open loop fuelling. The ECM will use the richest of the PE table and the Boost Enrich table values when fuelling.

The new Boost Fuel Cut feature will cut fuel to all cylinders whenever boost is above the enable MAP value. There is also an enable/disable option for this feature. It is a complete fuel cut to all cylinders when active. This could be used by engine shops who supply turbo chargers with electronic boost controllers to protect against customers winding the boost up higher than the engine internals can handle. It could also be used as a valet tune kind of feature.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

foff667 thanks for the Info!! Sounds like hp tuners may be the way to go. I love the fuel cut options
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by foff667
Correct, instead we went the route of adding custom operating system support for E38's which offers a real VE table in place of the coefficient tables
Okay I can see the argument for the custom OS. But that should be the tuner and the customers choice to go that route.

2 credits to tune a bolton C6 Z06. Cold air intake, headers, maybe intake. Now how much to add a custom OS?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Okay I can see the argument for the custom OS. But that should be the tuner and the customers choice to go that route.

2 credits to tune a bolton C6 Z06. Cold air intake, headers, maybe intake. Now how much to add a custom OS?
Comes free with the tunershop license, or 2 credits for the single vcm license.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay so a total of 4 credits if you don't have the Tunershop license?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Okay so a total of 4 credits if you don't have the Tunershop license?
Correct
Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EFI Live. Because its better
Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by foff667
Correct
Well there ya go. 4 credits to tune a bolton car doesn't make much sense. Seems more like a way to generate credit sales.

BTW I use the Bluecat tool but I think it's a crock that an HPT version is not built in.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gregrob
EFI Live. Because its better
There are some things each company does that are different/better than the other. I use both. Neither is "better".
Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned

Well there ya go. 4 credits to tune a bolton car doesn't make much sense. Seems more like a way to generate credit sales.

BTW I use the Bluecat tool but I think it's a crock that an HPT version is not built in.
It would be nice if HPT had a built in coeff calc, but fact is, the VE in their COS is actually better than the calculated VE by either the Bluecat program, or the VVE. It is an ACTUAL VE, meaning, it is much more precise than the VVE or Bluecat calculated VE. I've used all three. The EFIlive VVE, the Bluecat program and the HPtuners COS.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Our interfaces come preloaded with 8 credits so you could do 2 with custom operating systems right off the bat and not have to purchase any additional credits, most individual users aren't going to do more than 1 or 2 of their own vehicles anyway so it works out perfect for them. For those that plan on doing multiple vehicles usually opt for the tunershop license which comes with the custom operating systems free of charge, ultimately its a win win situation no matter how you slice it.

If you want to get down to it up until you hit the 6 custom operating system license mark our package is cheaper than EFI, here is the breakdown.

HPT MPVI pro-$649 comes with 8 credits enough to do 2 vehicles and 2 custom operating systems off the bat.

EFI V2-$899 comes with 2 licenses off the bat

With HPT I could add another license & custom os for another $199 totalling $849 and its still cheaper

EFI V2 with 3 licenses would be $1024

With HPT I could add now a 4th license & custom os for another $199 totalling $1049

EFI V2 with 4 licenses would be $1149 and is still more expensive

With HPT I could add now a 5th license & custom os for another $199 totalling $1249

EFI V2 with 5 licenses would be $1274 and is STILL more expensive

Its not until the 6th custom operating system license that it begins to be any more expensive, and thats not considering the fact that efi's single vcm licenses are 25% more expensive than ours meaning if you are doing the std operating system licenses it will save you tons of $ in the long run with our software.

-Bill
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It isn't a like-comparison because of the differences in features.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

What should I buy to read so I know what you guys are talking about. I want to learn but clueless.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin_Notch

Depends on how built the setup is but a 5.3L can be tuned by any of the above with HPT being the cheapest solution.

Quick Reply: which software do you like and why?