Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG + Factory CME?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question GMMG + Factory CME?

Long time lurker, first time poster...

How easy/hard is it to mate up a GMMG exhaust to my factory center mount exhaust tips? Do I need to get some 2.5" band clamps to attach them, and am I gonna have to do any careful measuring and cutting to get it to fit right? This is gonna be going on my 2002 SS, and it will be mated to my Kooks stainless LTs + catted-y. Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old 03-22-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very doable, but I think you will need 3" clamps. Below is a pic of Poltergeist's car. Im sure he doesn't mind me posting it.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Thanks for the pic...any idea why I would need the 3" band clamp? I know I'll need it at the slip fit on the I-pipe, but I thought the tips were 2.5"? I was more concerned with how the CME tips fit on to the GMMG outlets.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Geez, I just noticed the bar that was welded in right behind the tips...I wonder if that is there for extra bracing so the tips don't get ripped apart or what. That would probably be a big pain for me to have done around here...not too sure who all can weld stainless that I could trust to work on my car.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Long time lurker, first time poster...

How easy/hard is it to mate up a GMMG exhaust to my factory center mount exhaust tips? Do I need to get some 2.5" band clamps to attach them, and am I gonna have to do any careful measuring and cutting to get it to fit right? This is gonna be going on my 2002 SS, and it will be mated to my Kooks stainless LTs + catted-y. Thanks for the help.

Steve
u have a pm
Old 03-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Thanks for the PM...anyone else?
Old 03-22-2004, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

I've got that setup on my car. I don't have any welding done behind the tips like the picture shows and I have had NO problems what so ever. Its been on the car for over a year now. It is an awesome setup if I do say so myself
Old 03-23-2004, 03:33 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Awesome man...that's what I wanted to hear. Did you have to do any bending of any sort? Also, how did you attach the tips to the GMMG outlets...band clamps? U-bolt clamps? Just tryin to figure out how this is all gonna work out before I go digging myself a grave.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

No bending at all and they are attached with U-Bolt clamps. No digging a grave at all. It sounds so good and WOW does it ever add to the Torque. I don't know why, maybe the extra bend or something but I'm over 350 TQ with just a TSP lid, Maf ends, S2, and the GMMG with the CME.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

They can be a pain in the butt. For me the cme did not just slide onto the gmmg exhaust. But This is what I did at the end and worked great. Cut the elbows of the stock cme and remove the old exhaust. You may have to hack it up to get the old slp exhaust removed.

Buy two pre bent 90deg pipes from slp. I think they were 2.5" in diam. and are mandrel bent. They are long which makes it easy for the next steps.

Take the car down to a muffler shop. I already had my gmmg exhaust on, just without the tips. The muffer shop cuts the new elbows, expand the ends to fit and my problems were solved. Used band clamp at the tips and U-clamp at the gmmg part. Heres some pics.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Back from the dead....

How does it sound? I am curious about this setup.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The CME tips give the GMMG just barely a little deeper sound. This was comparing it to my CME setup and a GMMG on a D/D setup. LS1sounds.com has wavs of my setup there or you can go to my site and listen to them.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

The CME tips do seem to add deepness to the exhaust note. My Corsa is deeper and rumbles more than other Corsa's i've heard in person and online. My Corsa muffler was not too hard to add in place of the DD. It's just the fact the Corsa muffler is 3" inlet @ 3" outlets so I had to use 3" to 2.5" reducers. Flows pretty damn well, only picked up 4rwhp @ 5rwtq with my QTEC in I pipe.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

I have the gmmg on my car and i just bought the oval tips with it and it only took me about 15-20 minutes to install it. I did have a lift and power tools though. You make one cut on the old exhaust and it will come right out. Then the new exhast was precut and slid right into place.
Since adding the new exhaust ive had trans ams and camaros stop me and ask what kind it was, sounds awesome.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
They can be a pain in the butt. For me the cme did not just slide onto the gmmg exhaust. But This is what I did at the end and worked great. Cut the elbows of the stock cme and remove the old exhaust. You may have to hack it up to get the old slp exhaust removed.

Buy two pre bent 90deg pipes from slp. I think they were 2.5" in diam. and are mandrel bent. They are long which makes it easy for the next steps.

Take the car down to a muffler shop. I already had my gmmg exhaust on, just without the tips. The muffer shop cuts the new elbows, expand the ends to fit and my problems were solved. Used band clamp at the tips and U-clamp at the gmmg part. Heres some pics.

my ? to you is why did you cut it....because there wasnt enough room to remove the tips due to the skirt on the rear is my gues...it woulda beeen much easier to remove the skirts dont ya think?

ive learned that there is nothing to really worry about...ill go into place, sound deeper/quieter, not by a whole lot tho, and possibly *** slight backpressure, nothing dramatic tho. jsut my $.02