Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Push-lok line ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push-lok line ?

So, I took a trip to my local Earls shop to pick up a new in tank line for my sending unit to my Walbro for my switch to E85, and to replace my old rubber line that come with the pump kit.

I asked for a line that was "alcohol rated" or good for E85...and the counter guy brought out the SS stuff, the kevlar coated teflon line, and the Parker 801, 2.3 300psi push-lok line.

I originally went with the kevlar coated teflon stuff for $10 for a 4" section!!...well, the ID was no good on the pump, but did fit my factory sender feed...wouldn't even crimp down enough on the pump fitting to call it safe!

So, I went with a section of the Parker push-lock 300psi line...he told me that it was coated with a synthetic rubber and had a braided layer of coating that shielded the inner hose composite that was rated for brake fluid, coolant, all the way up to hydro fluid and methanol (Alcohol/E fuels..15, 70,85,100). He told me that all of his sprint car guys and other race teams use the stuff for their alcohol set ups and it never lets them down...as a matter of fact...there was a sprint car guy at the counter that testified to what he said, and stated that, that line is exactly what they use in their fuel systems!

I don't doubt it! ive done some reading on the stuff I have, and it seems that it holds up really well for all the stuff you can throw at it!

My only issue/question, and the issue/question I cant find much info on is if this stuff is rated for submersible applications????? I would say it is much stronger of a coating than the OE rubber stuff...and from what I read, that the E85 "SPECIFIC" stuff is composed of the synthetic rubber exterior and the braided coating of the ID material rated for the E85....so appears to be same in composition?

Any thoughts...Im just wanting to see what's out there on the reliability of submerging this style of push-lok.

Thanks all!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Didnt you ask the guy selling it ?

Most ratings will be for fluid internally. Externally can be a right pain to source suitable hose.

One thing you could do is cut a section off and submerse it and see how it holds up. Slow process but it would give you some idea.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what you want to use in tank
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...%20-%20Plastic
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Didnt you ask the guy selling it ?

Most ratings will be for fluid internally. Externally can be a right pain to source suitable hose.

One thing you could do is cut a section off and submerse it and see how it holds up. Slow process but it would give you some idea.
He said he didn't know...that its what he has sold to be used in other alcohol in tank applications...and never had anything come back on him YET lol
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

good question, we have had to deal with it from time to time... an in-tank submerged line has fuel attacking the tube and cover as well as the reinforcement of the hose. We have had the manufacturer recommend SAE J30R9 specification to meet these needs which is not an Aeroquip product at this time. Information on Thermoid's SAE J30R9 can be found here:

http://issuu.com/murdockindustrial/d...olor=%23222222

This should give you trouble free use and what has been recommended for in-tank applications for fuel hose. Oh, plus this is a fairly inexpensive hose by the foot...

Hope that helps

Tony

Last edited by www.aeroquip.cc; 03-02-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely HATE that braided hose. It's doesn't last as long as cheap $1.00 a foot rubber hose. The only problem with push lock hose is I have to put it in boiling water and use gloves to get it on.

Earl's braided line lasts about three seasons on my alcohol car. It usually leaks where it's high and the fuel drains down. Like right over the axle or right off the barrel valve. It's a real pain in the ***. And it costs over $10 a foot to replace it. Not to mention the bloody fingers. Part of my shutdown procedure is to run it out of alcohol and start it with race gas to get the alcohol out. Runs like crap on gas but it cleans it out. At least the fittings don't corrode.

I'm running my OT car on E85 because it's too rich to drive easy on gas. Going to put it in a car show Sunday and don't want to kill anyone. Leaned it way out and am trying to get it to just idle clean and run under 2,000 RPM so I can drive it in. Monday I'll pump all the E85 out and fire it with gas and try to get it to run all the E85 out. Hope it doesn't eat everything up.

Pump gas has 10 to 13% alcohol so any fuel hose should be at least compatible with that.

Al 95 Z28
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really sure what kind of line you have. Is is a push lock hose or a Teflon hose.

The Teflon stuff is not cheap and the fittings use a olive in the fitting to hold the hose in the fitting. This stuff is very nice will last forever. Not cheap

The push loc stuff even rated for what ever I would no use due to abrasion resistance.

TechAFX.com is the teflon I am using on the chevelle and it is great

Tim
Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I've seen push-lock stuff used on air hose for years and never fails. The hose usually fails before the connection, but not sure as far as fluid pressure. I was looking at some Earl's Pro push loc stuff last night but decided not to cheap out on fuel stuff. In the tank wouldn't be as big of a deal as an external leak. And I don't like colored hose.. Tacky, IMO.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Pressure is pressure. Earls Superstock hose is normally black, although other colours may be available.

And an internal leak can be very serious, as it could lead to engine destruction. An external leak could too, but at least you'd be aware of that because fuel would be pishing everywhere lol

Although for external hoses, I prefer their black Prolite stuff with the cloth style overbraid. Neat and tidy looking, very flexible and easy worked with.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I saw a video of some guy using a heat gun to install his fittings.. I like the boiling water idea MUCH better... Better temperature control.

Quick Reply: Push-lok line ?