Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

air to water cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air to water cooling question

Hey guys, when running an air-water intercooler, can a cool can with dry ice be used to help cool the water even more? I know regular ice would work. Dry ice is -109 degress F so it would freeze water. Can water/meth or straight antifreeze be used in the heat exchanger? I'm not sure if they would freeze when using dry ice. I read that dry ice is a dollar a pound and would last longer than ice. If dry ice is more effective and won't freeze the fluid, might be a good idea, to run a cooler can.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone have any insight on this? I was reading labels on jugs at work the other day. Coolant of 70% dexcool and 30% water has a freezing point of -85 deg F, so straight dexcool would would freeze at a much lower temp right?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe all your assumptions are correct, I have seen people just drop it straight into the tank before but obviously u couldn't just leave it in there.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobsmyuncle
I believe all your assumptions are correct, I have seen people just drop it straight into the tank before but obviously u couldn't just leave it in there.
Right. You can't just leave it there and cap it. As Dry Ice warms up (and cools the water) it vaporizes. You will have Carbon Dioxide gas in the system. Unless you leave the cap off, or have a pressure relief valve (Hmmmm), you will pressurize your system with carbonated water. Not ideal. BUT if you put it in 15 minutes before you race and let it all "melt"/"Vaporize", you will certainly cool your tank down to 32F faster than with Ice alone. (Colder if you use antifreeze).
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone know the cooling efficiency of the dexcool vs water? Will it absorb the heat as well as water?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was someone on here using a Air to water cooler with Dry ice as a secondary cooler. He tried water / meth mixes and frond that 100% meth was needed to stop the water from freezing and blocking the pump.

Chris.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into this awhile back. Something else to consider is that when dry ice is dropped into water it bubbles and could cause the pump to cavitate. I'll just go with good ole regular ice.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Well the cans I was looking at, they have coiled tubing that the water runs through in the can. The water won't touch the dry ice unless the tubing springs a leak. In that case I was thinking of running a pressure relief valve in the lid of the can. They sell them in Jegs in the fuel accessories section. The can I was looking at is P/N 720-1350 made by Mr Gasket, if you guys wanna look it up and see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^
The dry ice must be used outside in a canister with coil tubing for water. Dry ice is not supposed to make actual contact with the water. But cool the housing the water is circulating thru. Does not function same as ice water. Dry ice does not become water after it contacts water it contacts.
I believe you are referring to a cool fuel can. I've thought about using same thing in a/w system I will be needing. But I think the dry ice may freeze the water if it's not circulating fast enough or may need alcohol to to raise freezing point of the water.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NemeSS
^^
....But I think the dry ice may freeze the water if it's not circulating fast enough or may need alcohol to to raise freezing point of the water.
Just to clarify... lower the freezing point... (i.e. lower than 32F)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NemeSS
^^
The dry ice must be used outside in a canister with coil tubing for water. Dry ice is not supposed to make actual contact with the water. But cool the housing the water is circulating thru. Does not function same as ice water. Dry ice does not become water after it contacts water it contacts.
I believe you are referring to a cool fuel can. I've thought about using same thing in a/w system I will be needing. But I think the dry ice may freeze the water if it's not circulating fast enough or may need alcohol to to raise freezing point of the water.
I was thinking the same thing about the fluid freezing when it's not circulating. I'm hoping straight dexcool will withstand that cold of a temp without freezing, when it's not circulating.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The chemical reaction of the dry ice turning from a solid to a gas has an insulating effect between the dry ice and water, it will not cool water as well as plain old ice in the water.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Here you go, this guy has dont it already....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...r-running.html

As said he had to use 100% m,eth to stop the system from freezing. he gained about 25bhp and 25lbsft with no other mods. Dropped IATs about 40-50 degrees. And this was all still with the procharge 4.5inch air to air coolers and running a small ish 3x3x12 core....

Chris.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I tried a few different ways with dry ice, in a seperate compartment and the gains you get with water and ice are so much better
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Here you go, this guy has dont it already....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...r-running.html

As said he had to use 100% m,eth to stop the system from freezing. he gained about 25bhp and 25lbsft with no other mods. Dropped IATs about 40-50 degrees. And this was all still with the procharge 4.5inch air to air coolers and running a small ish 3x3x12 core....

Chris.
That's pretty interesting how his intercooler froze up like that. He just put the dry ice in with the meth though. The way I'd do it is just put the dry ice pellets, or regular ice, in the can with no other fluids. The meth would travel through about 9' of coiled aluminum tubing in the can. The dry ice and meth wouldn't come in contact.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All it takes is one little leak and the car will be toast running rubber hose and meth under pressure is NOT a good idea, SS braided lines would be the only way.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

SS braided line would add a little eye appeal to it over the rubber hose too.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black98s10
That's pretty interesting how his intercooler froze up like that. He just put the dry ice in with the meth though. The way I'd do it is just put the dry ice pellets, or regular ice, in the can with no other fluids. The meth would travel through about 9' of coiled aluminum tubing in the can. The dry ice and meth wouldn't come in contact.
You are pumping pretty cold fluid through the cooler! lol

Why bother engineering that solution? Whats dose it do over having the dry ice sat in the meth? You would get an order of magnitude more surface contact with having the dry ice in the fuild. Also you will beable to hold much greater quanities of meth......
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chuntington101
You are pumping pretty cold fluid through the cooler! lol

Why bother engineering that solution? Whats dose it do over having the dry ice sat in the meth? You would get an order of magnitude more surface contact with having the dry ice in the fuild. Also you will beable to hold much greater quanities of meth......
Wouldn't dry ice last longer if it's not in a liquid? Plus there isn't a lot under the hood of a s10 to run a water tank.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black98s10
Wouldn't dry ice last longer if it's not in a liquid? Plus there isn't a lot under the hood of a s10 to run a water tank.
It would last longer, but then it wouldn't cool the liquid as much either.

There was a GTO from OZ that ran a dry ice cooler and about 40lbs of dry ice. There was no medium used in it just dry ice.

Chris.

Quick Reply: air to water cooling question