Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock sensors rusted *pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default knock sensors rusted *pictures

here is what my knock sensors looked like after i pulled them last night

well i plan to replace these with the newer sensors. i will also seal the area around them should i do anything else? something on the threads? pack something around them?
part number 10456603 "new style knock sensor" work with below harness?
part number 15372170 "think this is the harness?"

so are my part numbers right?
i plan on doing the ls6 pcv system also. as you can see in the pic i'm getting alot of oil pulled in to the intake...

do you think this is the 100% my knock problems? i will be cutting these open today and when i do i will post what i find in side them.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes you need the newer harness for the "10456603" knock sensors
Old 03-22-2004, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

What is the difference between the new style knock senors and the ones that came on the car?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:37 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ick, I have the same problem, but i've been putting it off. I've got the sensors, I just haven't felt like pulling the intake. Do you have any tips or anything? How long did it take you to get everything off?
Old 03-22-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SapphireHawk
What is the difference between the new style knock senors and the ones that came on the car?
The newer sensors have a different connector… internally I’m not 100% sure if they are different? I have been doing some reading today and one is a gen 1 “97/98 ls1” the gen 2 is in 99+ ls1. the sensors and harness are different on the 99+ ls1’s

Last edited by dissonance; 03-22-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Ick, I have the same problem, but i've been putting it off. I've got the sensors, I just haven't felt like pulling the intake. Do you have any tips or anything? How long did it take you to get everything off?
This was the 1st time I have removed an ls1 intake. It took me around an hour and half… I had no problems and broke nothing. Maybe I was lucky, just take your time.

Before you start make sure you have 8mm, 10mm, 7/8 sockets and you will also need a fuel line disconnect tool. You can find very a very nice write up on this on ls1howto.com… look for ls1 to ls6 swap and ls1 to ls6 intake swap.

I think there are 12 bolts that hold the intake on it’s self. Once you get the intake lose don’t just pull it out, it has the brake booster line hooked to the back… you will also find a very small vacuum line connected to the rear. Make sure you disconnect all the sensor wires and vacuum lines.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Hmmm - I bet if ya cut the rusty one with a bandsaw you'd find the "guts" as good as new ... If any probs it was at the connector. Technically those things are "ambient" as opposed to sealed inside the block, so they SHOULD be weathertite... They are really acoustically tuned piezo doo-dads, and they basically respond or not - so I would think if it was a sensor not outputting the proper voltages a P03xx code would be set.

For fun, measure the resistance of them - they should measure 95 to105 Kohms approximately, then measure AC Voltage, 5VAC and bang the side of the sensor with a metal object, you should see spikes of voltage in time with the impacts... (Data taken from page 6-967 of 2000 F-Platform manual)

Last edited by emarkay; 03-22-2004 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by emarkay
Hmmm - I bet if ya cut the rusty one with a bandsaw you'd find the "guts" as good as new ... If any probs it was at the connector. Technically those things are "ambient" as opposed to sealed inside the block, so they SHOULD be weathertite... They are really acoustically tuned piezo doo-dads, and they basically respond or not - so I would think if it was a sensor not outputting the proper voltages a P03xx code would be set.

For fun, measure the resistance of them - they should measure 95 to105 Kohms approximately, then measure AC Voltage, 5VAC and bang the side of the sensor with a metal object, you should see spikes of voltage in time with the impacts... (Data taken from page 6-967 of 2000 F-Platform manual)
I already cut the rusted one up... I think that the sensor was fine inside, maybe the water shorted it out... they are sealed well; I think water could get around the seal on the top... I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens once I get the new ones

You’re welcome to the other one... I have no use for it; I will be updating to the new style and can’t use the old one. When I see you I will let you have it. I think that I might try hooking it up and seeing if I get anything out of it.

I had no code, it just seemed like it always heard knock... maybe they are just over sensitize

Quick Reply: knock sensors rusted *pictures