Not sure about signing Foster...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Not sure about signing Foster...

Anyone else question that amount of money or am I just cheap? I am glad they signed him but I think that is a little too much.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a nice pay raise for him for sure but I don't think it was the right move for them.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

You're just cheap, he made peanuts his first 2 years in the league when he was arguably the best in the league in that time span. He's getting 10 million less guaranteed than chris johnson and 15 million less than adrian peterson, he wanted to stay in houston and the contract proves it isn't all about the money. He's only gonna count 4-5 million against the cap the way the contract is structured, he deserved to get paid. Now we can sign some of the other guys we need to sign, meyers, briesel, dreesen etc.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bat!
Its a nice pay raise for him for sure but I don't think it was the right move for them.
What is the right move?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deerhunter-Z28
What is the right move?
Well I was thinking of getting the other signed as you stated as well. Maybe they have more money in the bank to do that as well. I thought he was going to get more along the lines of 18mil next year.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bat!
Well I was thinking of getting the other signed as you stated as well. Maybe they have more money in the bank to do that as well. I thought he was going to get more along the lines of 18mil next year.
He is, but most of it is signing bonus money, not going to count 18 mil against the cap.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

foster is one of the top running backs in the NFL. if signing him for what we did was not the right choice im not sure what is. tate was a beast last year for sure, but foster runs better with our offense (most of the time), with out foster our offense would struggle to operate as smoothly as it did last year. IF mario wants to play with the texans then he will have to take a pay cut. i mean he basically got free money and rehab the past two years from us. i would like to keep him but it's looking doubtful. signing foster was def the right thing to do. it's nice hearing players saying they WANT to stay with the Texans.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

The Texans made the right choice by signing Foster.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO
The Texans made the right choice by signing Foster.
I agree.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

hell yeah they made the right choice! Now we need some more depth at WR, I love AJ, but he is getting old...and please cut Kareem and Jacoby loose!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

The alternative was to franchise Foster for one year and pay him more or less fair market value. A lot of players seem to hate the franchise tag, because they feel they have a better chance of making more money on the open market, or they want a long term deal. Alienating Foster is risky, because there are probably 30 other teams that would love to have him (excluding the Vikings and Ravens).

In this case, the Texans did the right thing by taking care of one of their own. However, it does seem to indicate Mario Williams won't be back with the Texans next season.

-Mike
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
hell yeah they made the right choice! Now we need some more depth at WR, I love AJ, but he is getting old...and please cut Kareem and Jacoby loose!

The voice of reason and common sense has spoken!

And as much as I would like to see Mario stay and change things up from time to time, he just isn't worth the money he is demanding.......put Brooks Reeds motor into Mario, and he would be worth it.....
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jlrz28
Anyone else question that amount of money or am I just cheap? I am glad they signed him but I think that is a little too much.
To answer your question, you are just being cheap as hell so I attached probably the best quote in this whole thread with many others supporting it in a different way:

Originally Posted by Deerhunter-Z28
You're just cheap, he made peanuts his first 2 years in the league when he was arguably the best in the league in that time span. He's getting 10 million less guaranteed than chris johnson and 15 million less than adrian peterson, he wanted to stay in houston and the contract proves it isn't all about the money. He's only gonna count 4-5 million against the cap the way the contract is structured, he deserved to get paid. Now we can sign some of the other guys we need to sign, meyers, briesel, dreesen etc.
He wasn't a one and done guy (Texans basically dared him to repeat if he wanted a long term deal) and went for 1600+ yards in 2010 and 1200+ last year (after injuries). What else does he have to do for you to prove he was worth the $$$? How the contract is structured is just as important as the $$$. He's only guaranteed about $20M out of the $43M-ish. And considering the Texans redzone offense ranks towards the bottom yearly, it was a no brainer to sign him. Between paying him or Mario Williams isn't even a decision.

For instance, Tom Brady was only making about $5M on the last year of his previous contract. He still got his money, but it was all front loaded so at the time, it helped with the cap and luxury tax and all the other issues that come up. A 3 time SB Champ for that price is about as bad as Foster getting $525k for a season which he did last year. Compared to what other running backs have guaranteed with his numbers or less, there's nothing "cheap" about it. I'm glad we got him.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Originally Posted by LCTA
The voice of reason and common sense has spoken!

And as much as I would like to see Mario stay and change things up from time to time, he just isn't worth the money he is demanding.......put Brooks Reeds motor into Mario, and he would be worth it.....

Agree 100% with both these quotes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

It was definitely the right move, no question.

I wonder if we have room for a better QB?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ning-wednesday
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM
10 Second Fun Car

For some reason I feel like he wont perform now that he has his contract. Dont get me wrong he is a great back but I dont know I just dont think he will perform as well as he did in the past.

I am glad, it appears that they wont be signing Mario. I hope they give that money to Wade Philips so he will stay here a few years and keep the strong D.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For some reason I feel like he wont perform now that he has his contract. Dont get me wrong he is a great back but I dont know I just dont think he will perform as well as he did in the past.

I am glad, it appears that they wont be signing Mario. I hope they give that money to Wade Philips so he will stay here a few years and keep the strong D.
if your boss told you that you can make 200k this year if you bust your *** but if you dont you will only make 100k, would you try your best to make the 100k???

yeah there's a chance he might flop however i think he proved this past year his true talent and unless he (god forbid) has horrific injury he should perform just fine.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whoever thinks signing Foster to that deal wasn't a great move doesn't know **** about football.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that was just after the money in fact I'd be pretty shocked if he packed it in a la chris johnson. He took 16 million less guaranteed than AP after he was arguably better than him the last 2 years, that should tell you something.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Read his interview and watch the video on Fox Sports...........it isn't about the money......he's gonna run his *** off, no matter what....

T,