Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW Vin in LS1 Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMW Vin in LS1 Computer?

So I have searched around on here and it seems people with EFILive have been able to, for example, stick a V6 F-body Vin into a V8 F-body computer.

Well, I need to go further. I'm doing an LS1 swap into a 2003 BMW Z4 and am trying to figure out how to approach getting around the OBDII scan for emissions. If EFI will let a person change the Vin to say a V6 F-body, it would seem logical that I could enter my BMW's Vin. It's just a number, nothing more or less right?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you certain that the VIN numbers have to match? From what I've read, most states don't require this. A law like this would prevent you from ever replacing a stock ECU on most cars.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

I THINK so. . . ? When I have gone to emissions, they always check that the Vin printed out on the piece of paper (post test) matches the Vin on the vehicle (the little tag on the dash). I would guess then they are matching the computer to the Vin. When I ordered a replacement ECU for my 2004 Silverado from GM, they required that I give them the Vin before I could order it and it came with the Vin burned into it.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

For a GM vehicle this obviously isn't a big deal but on many other makes you don't have the luxury of reflashing the vin.

I'm curious to see if anyone else chimes in that knows for sure if some states require this.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MX6.0
For a GM vehicle this obviously isn't a big deal but on many other makes you don't have the luxury of reflashing the vin.

I'm curious to see if anyone else chimes in that knows for sure if some states require this.
Just to make sure it's clear, I'm not trying to flash the BMW computer. I want to flash a 2002 LS1 C5 computer with the BMW Vin number. My hope is that then the OBDII emissions scanner will plug in and read the Vin. I need the Vin in the computer to match the Vin on the dash plate to avoid having to deal with any issues.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've put BMW, Mazda, etc. VINs in LS computers.

AFAIK, most emissions testing where they're checking for OBD2 compliance (completed monitors) they're also checking the VIN stored in the PCM.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (06-03-2021)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Just to make sure it's clear, I'm not trying to flash the BMW computer. I want to flash a 2002 LS1 C5 computer with the BMW Vin number. My hope is that then the OBDII emissions scanner will plug in and read the Vin. I need the Vin in the computer to match the Vin on the dash plate to avoid having to deal with any issues.
Correct, I know what you're saying. I was just saying it would be impossible for many other ECU's (non-GM) to be flashed with a different VIN. I know it's pretty common for people to use junkyard ECU replacements.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

How's the swap coming along?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nghisus
How's the swap coming along?
Still in the planning/acquire parts stage. I'm setting up the car first (replacing rubber with spherical bearings, strengthening the frame, etc.) and waiting for a good deal to pop up. I want the car "set up" before I go toss HP to it.

Not to mention money is tight right now. I finished my masters a few weeks ago so I'm in "job hunt" mode. Hopefully I can find a job before the summer is out and then have more funds to invest.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM

Default ECU mismatched VIN

Originally Posted by MX6.0
Correct, I know what you're saying. I was just saying it would be impossible for many other ECU's (non-GM) to be flashed with a different VIN. I know it's pretty common for people to use junkyard ECU replacements.
I am in Oregon and just bought a 2003 Z4. I took it DEQ today and they found that the VIN's did not match. Apparently, at least in Oregon, they don't have to match prior to 2005 but would need to match after that. It sounds like a dealer solution to program to ECU to match the VIN but I'm currently searching to see if there is a DIY solution.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jsb5717
I am in Oregon and just bought a 2003 Z4. I took it DEQ today and they found that the VIN's did not match. Apparently, at least in Oregon, they don't have to match prior to 2005 but would need to match after that. It sounds like a dealer solution to program to ECU to match the VIN but I'm currently searching to see if there is a DIY solution.
It sounds like someone swapped computers (perhaps they tried to hack the original and fried it?).

That's going to be a dealer fix. The tuning options for BMWs are painfully nonexistent. I'm just throwing the entire BMW ECU in the trash and using the GM ECU to do everything.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tunercat does it easily. I have some other software that will put your name in there if you want. Be aware if you put that vin in it, and somebody tries to tune it with hptuners they will bitch that it is locked. It isn't, just use other software to tune it. No problem.

Quick Reply: BMW Vin in LS1 Computer?