Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZX6R vs GSXR 600

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ZX6R vs GSXR 600

These have been a while in the making and it's not often I run guys who know how to ride, so even though they're bike runs, I'm excited to post them. A buddy and I went out this weekend to finally get our runs in, which were supposed to happen last year, but he ended up having to replace the clutch over the winter and just got it back on the road.

Me - 2007 GSXR 600 - bone stock - 160 lb rider

Him - 2006 ZX6R - Two Brothers slipon, Power Commander III, free mods - 160 lb rider

We did a LOT of runs from digs, first gear, and second gear to really get a good idea of how things were matched up, so I'll sum up each below.

Second gear - he had me all day on these runs from about 60mph give or take depending on the run. I'd honk three and he would just immediately start a steady pull through second and third gear, slowing in fourth but gaining about 2-3 bike lengths on me total before it seemed to even out with no one pulling much by the time we hit fifth.

First gear - these runs went back and forth as he was fighting to keep the front end down while my bike stays planted for the most part. I'm sure a stronger powerband for him (as we saw in the second gear runs) attributed to this, but it also cost him a couple of these runs. The best one we had was from about 35 mph. I honked three and we got a dead even start. He came up a little bit and throttled well to keep it down with me getting out maybe half a bike. Stayed right about there through most of second and by third he was just slowly floating back next to me. By fourth he was creeping away but not too bad and right when he was exactly one bike in front (his back tire at my front tire), I looked at my corrected speedo and it said 152 where we both let off. On a couple of the first gear runs, he was fighting the front too much and I was able to get out enough to stay in front, but he was always coming back.

Digs - To our surprise and excitement, we had the opportunity to do two dead stop dig runs in the "marked" 1/4 with no one around. I put marked in quotes because according to my speedo and gear at the finish line, the spot that I was always told marked the end was actually a bit farther than a 1/4 mile, but good enough for us!

The first run we lined up, revved up, I yelled a three count and off we went. We both got pretty solid launches hanging the front tire, but I was able to clutch it well to keep the front end at a perfect spot without letting out at all, while I think he had to throttle it a bit. He still had a solid launch, though, and kept me pretty close, much closer than I would have liked. Through the first couple gears I held my lead at maybe a few bike lengths, but mid range to top end he started coming back strong, as expected. As we approached the finish line, he had pulled back to about a bike from what I could see but that's where we crossed the line and I took the win. The second run his launch wasn't quite as solid as the first one and I was able to get out a bit farther. Again, he started to come back up top but I believe we crossed the line with him 2-3 bikes back on this one. He confirmed all these distances after the fact.

All around it was a blast and it was great to finally get out and ride with someone who knows how to handle their bike. He hasn't ridden in a while, either, so as good as the runs were, I'm sure he's gonna be polishing his skills for the next time we get together.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 03-13-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like some good runs all around. I know he was expecting to do better, but he didn't have any excuses. He just said he thought his bike was faster than it was.

I wonder if the difference in the bikes is due mostly to the mods he has, or do the 636's just make more power?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys both need gears!!! Dig runs will be even harder to launch, but huge difference from a roll. Start with just a -1 front, its only like 20 bucks and takes a few minutes to change. Night and day difference...

You did great BTW - the 636 has a noticable tq advantage over you, and with the PCIII and jumpermod he has a hp advantage as well. Slip-on isn't worth anything power wise, but the two brothers sounds great. Its a nice exhaust - without a cat you will get nice little blue flames when you engine brake after a downshift and I got compliments on it all the time back before my custom GP pipe setup.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
These have been a while in the making and it's not often I run guys who know how to ride, so even though they're bike runs, I'm excited to post them. A buddy and I went out this weekend to finally get our runs in, which were supposed to happen last year, but he ended up having to replace the clutch over the winter and just got it back on the road.

Me - 2007 GSXR 600 - bone stock - 160 lb rider

Him - 2006 ZX6R - Two Brothers slipon, Power Commander III, free mods - 160 lb rider

We did a LOT of runs from digs, first gear, and second gear to really get a good idea of how things were matched up, so I'll sum up each below.

Second gear - he had me all day on these runs from about 60mph give or take depending on the run. I'd honk three and he would just immediately start a steady pull through second and third gear, slowing in fourth but gaining about 2-3 bike lengths on me total before it seemed to even out with no one pulling much by the time we hit fifth.

First gear - these runs went back and forth as he was fighting to keep the front end down while my bike stays planted for the most part. I'm sure a stronger powerband for him (as we saw in the second gear runs) attributed to this, but it also cost him a couple of these runs. The best one we had was from about 35 mph. I honked three and we got a dead even start. He came up a little bit and throttled well to keep it down with me getting out maybe half a bike. Stayed right about there through most of second and by third he was just slowly floating back next to me. By fourth he was creeping away but not too bad and right when he was exactly one bike in front (his back tire at my front tire), I looked at my corrected speedo and it said 152 where we both let off. On a couple of the first gear runs, he was fighting the front too much and I was able to get out enough to stay in front, but he was always coming back.

Digs - To our surprise and excitement, we had the opportunity to do two dead stop dig runs in the "marked" 1/4 with no one around. I put marked in quotes because according to my speedo and gear at the finish line, the spot that I was always told marked the end was actually a bit farther than a 1/4 mile, but good enough for us!

The first run we lined up, revved up, I yelled a three count and off we went. We both got pretty solid launches and it must have been badass to see both of us launch hard and hang the front tire, but I was able to clutch it well to keep the front end at a perfect spot without letting out at all, while I think he had to throttle it a bit. He still had a solid launch, though, and kept me pretty close, much closer than I would have liked. Through the first couple gears I held my lead at maybe a few bike lengths, but mid range to top end he started coming back strong, as expected. As we approached the finish line, he had pulled back to about a bike from what I could see but that's where we crossed the line and I took the win. The second run his launch wasn't quite as solid as the first one and I was able to get out a bit farther. Again, he started to come back up top but I believe we crossed the line with him a 2-3 bikes back on this one. He can confirm or correct as it's always harder to tell lengths from the mirror on a bike.

All around it was a blast and it was great to finally get out and ride with someone who knows how to handle their bike. He hasn't ridden in a while, either, so as good as the runs were, I'm sure he's gonna be polishing his skills for the next time we get together.
I tried to get a run in yesterday with a GSXR600. The guy lined up next to me, honked it off and took the hit but as soon as I started pulling on him (he didn't get a fender on me) he backed out of it and switched lanes.. I guess he realized he didn't have a chance.. lol

Talk about pissing me off..
Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Nothing better than a couple of bikes going at it. When I bought my 07 CBR600RR, I tried to run every other 600 I could find - not trying to be the fastest 600, just looking for comparisons.

I was surprised to find out how strong thr 07 600RRs were when they were released, and also, how well the other 600 bikes would stay with me.

Excellent driving OP, 636 is no slouch. I went from a roll with one, and the only reason I kept a half-bike length in front is due to quicker shifting on my part (he was completely stock).
Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM

^I've always heard that the CBR's are strong.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Teching In

I love those 636's...
Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Do you have any 1/4 mile times on either bike. I ran a 10.82 @ 129 on my 09 zx6r with just a two brothers slip on
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Good runs pewter.....hard to launch bikes and get the numbers you do out of a 600 w/o tieing the front down. How long does a clutch last when doing that? I still have the oe clutch in my fz6 @ 30k on it, but it really hasn't been beat on much.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I had an 03 600RR I traded in on my 07. I couldn't believe the difference, the 07 would absolutely destroy my 03.

Not to hijack the thread, I think the Gixxers are great bikes too. IMHO CBR, GSXR, Ninja, R6. Although they are like cars, each to their own and I always respect a good rider on a well kept bike.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
CBR's are very strong. I have an 06 F4i with every bolt on imagineable to include 520 conversion and -1 in the front, and the only stock bike to give me trouble was a CBR 600RR. This is of course after swapping bikes back and forth. We're talking multiple 636's my best friends who's is stock, this other guy who has a head pipe and -1 in the front, I pulled him fairly easily, and a couple of R6's.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Reading this makes me want a bike even more
Old 03-13-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to race an R6 today...........but I was in my 94 honda beater. Perfect spot with no traffic on a major highway. I will find a 600 at some point soon lol.

Great runs OP, its always nice to see well ridden bikes.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the props, guys. It was a blast and with a little luck we'll be able to setup some runs with a GoPro sometime soon. I was just testing my brother's new one out last night but I gotta figure out the best mounting options before I beat on it too much. I can just see it go tumbling down the road while I think I'm getting some great video.

Originally Posted by Ls_Notch
Do you have any 1/4 mile times on either bike. I ran a 10.82 @ 129 on my 09 zx6r with just a two brothers slip on
I run 10.9's on my 2007 GSXR 600 at LVD, which is what I'd consider a mediocre track here in the Northeast. Best pass is a 10.90 and best trap is 127.2. I weigh about 185 in full gear and the bike is bone stock with no strapping, no stretching, no lowering. I've been to the drag strip three times with it and that third day my best runs went 10.94, 10.92, and 10.90 as the DA kept rising, then they closed early for rain. I was a little upset that they closed since I was continuing to whittle time away as the weather got worse; I would have loved to see a 10.8 on a bone stock 600, but it wasn't in the cards that day with the weather. Ah well, if I get a chance to get down to Atco or one of the NJ tracks, there's no doubt in my mind that I'll go fast in some cool weather down there. My buddy has never taken his 636 to the track, but hopefully we'll change that this year since I know he used to take his old ZX10R.
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Good runs pewter.....hard to launch bikes and get the numbers you do out of a 600 w/o tieing the front down. How long does a clutch last when doing that? I still have the oe clutch in my fz6 @ 30k on it, but it really hasn't been beat on much.
I'm actually on the second clutch. I replaced the first one with a stock OEM because I want it to remain in stock form, but the first one I intentionally ran into the ground one day practicing my launches on a deserted road. I think I probably launched it about 30 times right in a row knowing that I was gonna replace it before my next track day anyways. I was also powershifting a lot at the time to test the bike's straight line performance with powershifting vs clutchless shifting. I wanted to see how much of a difference it made either way, if any. These 600 clutches don't last too long when you ride it and launch it like this, but they're cheap and easy to replace, so it doesn't bother me. I have a hookup for OEM Suzuki parts, as well, so it works out nicely.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 03-13-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are some serious Ls powered bikes...sounds like alot of fun!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Good runs. Those 636's really did kick butt for a long time with those extra 36cc.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Good kills. Glad to hear you were wearing gear.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Good kills. Glad to hear you were wearing gear.
I don't ride without at least a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and jeans, even in the summer. Jeans aren't much protection, really, but most of the time I'm just not putting on full leathers to go enjoy a ride. Obviously if I'm at the track or I know I'm gonna be riding hard I'll fully suit up.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I don't ride without at least a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and jeans, even in the summer. Jeans aren't much protection, really, but most of the time I'm just not putting on full leathers to go enjoy a ride. Obviously if I'm at the track or I know I'm gonna be riding hard I'll fully suit up.
Same here. Although i also wear knee guards. Theyre not the same as leather pants, but its a little better, and they fit under almost any type of jeans.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Same here. Although i also wear knee guards. Theyre not the same as leather pants, but its a little better, and they fit under almost any type of jeans.
Ever take your bike to the track? Any mods?

Quick Reply: ZX6R vs GSXR 600