LS1 Camaro Intercooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Camaro Intercooler questions

Hello,

I currently have the first gen STS rear mount turbo kit for my 2000 Camaro LS1

I have a Racetronix performance in tank pump I will be installing this spring, and I have ordered the parts to kill off my EGR / AIR system on the engine.
Currently Run 42LB ford SVO injectors.

currently Im running 5psi and self tuned the PCM with HPtuners.
Thinking that maybe 7-9PSI would be a little nicer but have to be careful and dont want to over do it with the boost and toast the engine.

This summer I want more power but dont want to go crazy.

I have been looking at getting a intercooler kit from Ebay, unless someone on here is selling one for a decent price.

my question is from what I can tell I should purchase a 31x12x3"/4" Intercooler

Now the qestion is what size will fit on a LS1 camaro behind the bumper without too much hastle, and what size inlet and outlet should i get?
will a 2.5" inlet/outlet be too small? I would assume that a 4" core with 3" in/out would probably have the most volume but then im having to get fittings to convert my exsisting 2.5" plumbing to 3" Anyone care she shed some light on this?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

anyone with info? I am in the same boat with my build
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ws6manny
anyone with info? I am in the same boat with my build
Hey, here is my update.

I got a 31x12x4" IC and it fit really nice, happy I went larger.

As far as drop is boost or turbo lag i couldnt tell you yet, I am still working on my tune, and thinking to upping the injectors so my car hasnt really been on the road yet and surely hasnt made any boost.

I also went 3" pipe so that the car isnt working so hard at idle to get air... thats just my theory, i bet 2.5" would work fine but it was nice going from the IC straight to the TB with 3" pipe, just had to trim a cooling hose for the steering cooler which let me pull it right next to the rad and tuck in the 3" pipe past the belt and pullys.

good luck with your build.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

hey, how did you manage to get that big intercooeler in there. i know i have a TA so i have foglight issues but was wondering what you had to do to get it to fit under the bump to begin with? im wondering what kind of inercooler to do for my own custom rear mount, and at first didnt want to loose my fogs, but now im thinking that i rather not have a heat soaked intercooler and then my car starts to not like the high IAT's. i was looking at 27x12x3 but if you got a 31x12x4 in there, some advise would be most appriciated
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

ive decided to get a 31x12x3" intercooler as well.
did you get the 3" cold piping in there? did it make any difference?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

updates? you by chance have some pics of your itercooler pipe routing? im trying to figure which direction i want to run the pipes on my custom rear mount setup. i dont know if i want to run all the way up the drivers side or do the wierd sts wrapo around crap.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

y2konyxss, what spark plugs are you running? and are your heads studded? On the stock motor, I wouldn't suggest anything higher than 8psi for longevity. I hope you are running NGK TR6 plugs (one stage colder) or even TR7, two stages colder.

I lifted my head after some time playing around at 8-10psi settings
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

i plan on studding mine when i get to that point. waiting on getting ahold of some 317 heads first and then a decent cam to help bump up the lowend power.

im going with 2.5" piping for spaceing. still like to see how 3" piping looks in there though.

as for plugs, its a high debate right now between tr6,7,8s and BKR7E-11 5791 and simular non projected cold plugs. TR6's are the starting point though.

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro Intercooler questions