Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo Kit!!!!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo Kit!!!!

is the STS turbo kit anygood?? what kind of numbers does it put up, has there been any negative feedback
Old 01-30-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

sure does good for a low budget kit. i made 472rwhp on 7.5 psi with only FMIC and fuel. now i have a cam and some leaking boost, otherwise i would be somewhere in the mid 500's easy
Old 01-30-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
sure does good for a low budget kit. i made 472rwhp on 7.5 psi with only FMIC and fuel. now i have a cam and some leaking boost, otherwise i would be somewhere in the mid 500's easy
is there anything that u dont like about it??
Old 01-30-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would recommend that you wrapp the y pipe all the wa back to the turbo with exhaust wrapp, other than that, its wonderful. made good power for me, why wouldnt it for you?

goodluck with your choice, i recomend if you go through with it, TRT has a lot of options for them and they sell the kit too. pretty good price IMO
Old 01-30-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMONEY06
is the STS turbo kit anygood?? what kind of numbers does it put up, has there been any negative feedback
all 'kits' have negative feedback, theres always something someone doesn't like

here is my build :My STS build: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/631954-sts-install-pics-stuff.html

I'm very satisfied with it, going to get a custom pipe built for the huge pipe that runs on the driver side by the door, it just doesn't need that bend by the wheel where it mates up to the other pipes....thats just toooo low of a bend. haven't had time to dyno, cept for the 1 run when the dyno was messin up and the electronics lost connection with the software

the search feature up here is your friend.

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 01-30-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

This is what i'm getting bent up. Its the silver pipe . not the black one.

cuz its stupid low. with the car on the lift with the control arms all the way down...there is like 2 inches of clearance with those rear control arms...

so gonna get that thing raised (new pipe made, mandrel bent probably)
cuz that is the lowest point on my car
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

For a turbo kit, it's good. Perfect, far from it. There are all kinds of negatives. Here's my $0.02.

Pros:

Relatively inexpensive for a turbo.
Definetly fun to drive.
Fairly easy to install.
Will get you in the low 12's on a stock car.

Cons:

Loss of ground clearance.
Have to add on upgraded fuel (42# injectors, in-tank pump)
Have to custom tune it.
STS customer service is fair (not great).
Will need to run an FMIC if not using meth/ daily driving.

This is the generic version. I can go into a laundry list of things I had to modify or deviate from to make the kit look nice and function well. Even at that, it's still in need of some tweaking (and that's after 4 months of adjusting everything.) I've gotten lazy and due to logistics of me vs where my car is I'm going the lazy route and will let TRT finish the wrap up/ tuning chores

If you are seriously interested in getting an STS, check their website as they have package deals that save a lot of $$ from buying everything individually. Good customer service too.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

search button
Old 01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

its a good little kit IMO. i hope you get what info you need out of this

goodluck
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Schantin
For a turbo kit, it's good. Perfect, far from it. There are all kinds of negatives. Here's my $0.02.

Cons:

Loss of ground clearance.
Have to add on upgraded fuel (42# injectors, in-tank pump)
Have to custom tune it.
STS customer service is fair (not great).
Will need to run an FMIC if not using meth/ daily driving.
just wondering... with any turbo don't you have to buy new fuel pump (if its not included, including the price for the thing) and injectors??

all turbo setups need a custom tune ?? i thought this was really redundant

CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS *****!!!!!!!!! AND I MEAN SUCKS ***** BAD
I called them over 10 times in 1 week and left 10 voicemails; not one single call back. honestly, with what i have done and what others have done you won't need customer service. just ask.
and FMIC... if you aren't killing the hell outa it around every block and blah blah.. then ur fine without a FMIC.
I'm still going to get a IC (custom) as most FMIC's involve removing some things. yadda yadda and so forth. plus, I'm only going to run 6lbs at most maybe 7... my dad knows thermo and a LOT of other stuff and we are going to get one made that will work fine and fit fine.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Looks like your car is sittin pretty low to the ground, hope you kept the stock suspension parts otherwise you'll run into some serious clearance issues. Good kit other then that, dont see any cons besides ground clearance and that its not as efficient as a front mount. saw 515 rwhp on about 9 lbs.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
just wondering... with any turbo don't you have to buy new fuel pump (if its not included, including the price for the thing) and injectors??

all turbo setups need a custom tune ?? i thought this was really redundant

CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS *****!!!!!!!!! AND I MEAN SUCKS ***** BAD
I called them over 10 times in 1 week and left 10 voicemails; not one single call back. honestly, with what i have done and what others have done you won't need customer service. just ask.
and FMIC... if you aren't killing the hell outa it around every block and blah blah.. then ur fine without a FMIC.
I'm still going to get a IC (custom) as most FMIC's involve removing some things. yadda yadda and so forth. plus, I'm only going to run 6lbs at most maybe 7... my dad knows thermo and a LOT of other stuff and we are going to get one made that will work fine and fit fine.
To clarify: For a TURBO kit #1 and #2 are obvious. If he got a SC (ATI or Vortech), the tune + fuel upgrades are included [talking bout the ATI P1SC kit, NOT D1SC kit]

FMIC - Believe what you wish. Hawaii (80 degrees, 80% humidity), city driving; IAT's averaged 125! Damn computer dumbs down the timing drastically at 100 degrees. With the FMIC I've seen 104 MAX. That was driving like a fool on it too! And boost was only 5PSI.

Hell, I'm not goig to bash the STS.....just look at my sig Might as well be up-front on the pros AND cons. No FI is without some kind of "catch".
Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree with schantin, you will need a FMIC -- i saw in traffic average of 120-130 deg IAC temp with IC only about 15-20 deg over ambient. there is no magic forced induction kit, they all have good points and bad a previously said. you just have to pick you poison, i picked the STS kit due to finances and ease of self installation. it took me about 6 months to iron out the bugs but im satisfied with the results, a daily driven car with close to 500 rwhp.

the only real issue i have with the kit is the charge pipe in front of the lt rear wheel. it is the low spot on the car. if someone has a solution im open to suggestions.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't gotten to drive mine yet...still up on jack stands .

I've had to do a lot of fabricating to make it work to my standards.

1. Shortened I-pipe to draw the turbo up off the ground more.
2. Added a bracket that's connected to the panhard bar to keep the turbo from sagging down over time.
3. Connecting a custom FMIC to this thing is a biatch. I recommend TRT's.
4. Running the pipes up to the TB, ESPECIALLY with a MAF is near to impossible without moving the upper radiator hose, electric wires and smashing the fans up to the radiator.
5. Ground clearance in the front is more so of problem IMO than in the rear by the tire...seriously, watch out for big speed-bumps. I don't have this problem though because of the FMIC and me customizing the pipes after pipe #4 (long driver's side pipe) to allow for more ground clearance. The pipe sits just below the lowest spot of the k-member and probably is no lower than the oil pan.
6. Pipe #4 is not that big of a deal for me because I have a vert and the shape of the pipe is a lot different to compensate for "SFC's".
7. Intercooler IMO is a must for any turbo kit. STS's claim about the length of the pipes cooling the air down before it goes into the TB is a bunch of crap once you get ragging on it. I don't know from experience but based on common sense and reading around, you'll find this to be true.

Do I have any regrets?...NO! I'm really looking forward to getting this thing running and I think overall, this setup is going to be awesome. It didn't cost me an arm/leg, install other than the customizing is not that bad and Texas Rear Turbos has been extremely helpful to a lot of guys on here. Deal with them and 100% them, they'll work with you through every step of the way IMO. I got that impression from them after only dealing with them a couple of times. They're extremely dedicated to what they do and they love doing it...that's what makes them so good! (end of shameless plug)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

yeh, sts's deal with the pipes cooling down the air is complete BS.

Schantin, i agree with you 100%, i just assume that everyone wants a know pro to tune their car.

pdanrichey, you got any pics of your kit with all that custom work? what i'm interested in is what you did with the pipe after piep #4.
The pipe sits just below the lowest spot of the k-member and probably is no lower than the oil pan.
thats what i'm talkin about
Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Oh and if you are going FI... always, always plan on spending more than what you think its gonna cost. cuz its just that way
Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
Oh and if you are going FI... always, always plan on spending more than what you think its gonna cost. cuz its just that way

Oh ya...I feel you there! All the damn couplers and clamps, extra piping, etc... This stuff ADDS up over the long haul

I have some pics on my pc at home. Later on tonight, I'll snap a few more shots and let you know. I wanted a pic of your charge pipe clearing the power steering pully and upper radiator hose!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MiketurboLS1
Looks like your car is sittin pretty low to the ground, hope you kept the stock suspension parts otherwise you'll run into some serious clearance issues. Good kit other then that, dont see any cons besides ground clearance and that its not as efficient as a front mount. saw 515 rwhp on about 9 lbs.
my car made 503rwhp on 5.5 and the turbo sits in the rear
Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Oh ya...I feel you there! All the damn couplers and clamps, extra piping, etc... This stuff ADDS up over the long haul

I have some pics on my pc at home. Later on tonight, I'll snap a few more shots and let you know. I wanted a pic of your charge pipe clearing the power steering pully and upper radiator hose!
i got that, its on there in my thread for my build.

we used a non-pwr steering cooler upper radiator hose... they actually sell these things? lol

here it is tho, at least this is what i think u are talkin about
Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also realize that my car has a cam in it, but I still spent less on it and made nearly the same power....... but I'm still off 2 psi, so do the math, that's another 40rwhp or so. I like my sts kit, just my .02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STS Turbo Kit!!!!