Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo Kit!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
Oh and if you are going FI... always, always plan on spending more than what you think its gonna cost. cuz its just that way
I have a question. I have made up my mind to go with the STS and figure that before any modding to the kit it will cost about $7000. Thats just the kit and accesories ie fuel, gauges, tuning etc. Is that about right? What did you spend before the changes to the kit?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

check out our stage pricing and feel free to call if we can help in any way.
TRT stage pkgs
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, if you're going to buy it all at once, get the hook up from TRT. You can at least get the full turbo kit, along with the fueling needs and the valve springs (not required but recommended). Don't forget the spark plugs and the tune, then you're in.

I would go with stage 2 and then upgrade to the gt-67 upgrade. The 60#'s are not absolutely required, but if you want to upgrade in the future, it would be wise to just go ahead and get the stage 3. Figure ~$500 for a tune so you're at about $6500 out the door, although, remember that it will always cost more than you plan on.

Also realize that the wearable stock parts on the car now will wear out VERY quickly...like the clutch and brakes. The rear-end is also a weak part but from talking with everyone on here, keep driving it until it breaks...(if it breaks that is) before you dump that kind of money into a new rear-end.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i recomend TRT, i've gone to them for everything. they got my car to get 500rwhp on only 5.5-6 psi
Old 01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Oh and if you are going FI... always, always plan on spending more than what you think its gonna cost. cuz its just that way
Amen to that!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

havent gotten my STS car up and running yet, but i'm almost there!! anyways, as far as ground clearance, that damn pipe by the drivers side tire in the back hangs low!!

this was right after the kit was put on, and since been adjusted... with the pipe that low, it wasnt driveable!!!

i also had to remove my LCA relocation brackets because the pipe kept hitting the LCA's!!

the clearance in the front, under the kmember, however is much better if you put it on right.... my passenger header hangs lower!

see? clearance isnt so bad.... plus i'm sittin on the eibach pro kit!

Last edited by RooRnZ28; 01-30-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

ahahahhahah.. man they jacked up that pipe didnt they?.. gotta love the quality control over at STS.. oh wait.. i mean.. gotta love the NO QUALITY CONTROL.. as they state.. "once you bought it.. its not our fault"... ncie
Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

DUDE!! wow thats like no ground clearance...pull it out of the driveway get stuck situation, jeez!!

how did you get that pipe fabbed up? a new mandrel bent one? or weld by weld?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are crazy, my kit came factory sitting a little low, but not THAT low. im still on stock height too. granted i have the up and over the axle pipe deleted...... makes ground clearance a little better AND boost come in a little sooner

see pic
Attached Thumbnails STS Turbo Kit!!!!-underneath.jpg  
Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
havent gotten my STS car up and running yet, but i'm almost there!! anyways, as far as ground clearance, that damn pipe by the drivers side tire in the back hangs low!!

this was right after the kit was put on, and since been adjusted... with the pipe that low, it wasnt driveable!!!

i also had to remove my LCA relocation brackets because the pipe kept hitting the LCA's!!

the clearance in the front, under the kmember, however is much better if you put it on right.... my passenger header hangs lower!

Johnny, That is not installed well at all. That can be so much better.
In the above post you can see how high it can be. His is a little dirty from being on a while, but clearance is not really an issue if everything is installed right.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Mine's set up a little differently b/c it's a vert and the number 4 pipe does not make a turn down at the back of it (by rear tire), only a turn to the side to connect with pipe 3, then over the axle, etc. Something is majorly wrong there. Your car appears to be lowered also...that's going to have an effect also.

If you shorten the I-pipe or at least make a bracket to hang the turbo from in the back, that will also help a lot. It will draw everything a little closer to the chassis. EPP did a write up on a lowered SS STS build. I took there idea to make my bracket. The turbo no sits probably 3-4 inches from the heat shield of the gas tank and the bracket is attached to the upper panhard bar...try that!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

most of this problem can be fixed by loosening the turbo bolts - 6 i think around compressor housing and rotating the housing so it lifts the pipe up i did that a gained like 2 inches of clearance
Old 01-31-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
you guys are crazy, my kit came factory sitting a little low, but not THAT low. im still on stock height too. granted i have the up and over the axle pipe deleted...... makes ground clearance a little better AND boost come in a little sooner

see pic
now thast a good idea. didn't think about that, but its really obvious...and simple. thanks for that pic man
Old 01-31-2007, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

DUDE!! wow thats like no ground clearance...pull it out of the driveway get stuck situation, jeez!!

yes, i know!!! it wasnt driveable, so i adjusted it, now it sits better.... these pics were right after the kit was put on the car.. the only reason it was that low was because of the lower control arm relocation brackets, that made the lca's angle lower and hit that pipe when it came off the lift, so they had to be removed!! as you can see in the pic, there is still like 2 inches above it for adjustment, and now the clearance is MUCH better!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

now thast a good idea. didn't think about that, but its really obvious...and simple. thanks for that pic man
no problem, you can thank TRT.... they did it all, and yes its a little dirty..... but its since killed a lot of powerful cars

goodluck to all
Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow!! You should do what I did, zip tie that coupler with the low pipe (lowest point in pic) to your rear sway bar. Mine has no clearence problems what so ever and sits about 4 inches higher then yours
Old 01-31-2007, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
ahahahhahah.. man they jacked up that pipe didnt they?.. gotta love the quality control over at STS.. oh wait.. i mean.. gotta love the NO QUALITY CONTROL.. as they state.. "once you bought it.. its not our fault"... ncie
Gotta laugh man. What's you're referring to as a "jacked up" pipe is heat reflective tape he has over the subframe pipe where it comes close to the driver side header to keep heat from the intake.

RooRn - That rear pipe is (was) WAY lower than it should be. I have a good 3" more clearance on mine. I read further on that you got it tucked in better. So, glad to see that's fixed.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there any gain to be had by going over the axle? Im starting to see more and more under axle rear mounts. my charge piping is custom welded/bent but if I can pick up more by going under the axle ill definately try. I always figured going under would only kill clearance even more.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

i suggest you try using the ******* SEARCH BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its between "NewPosts" and "Quicklinks"
Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Is there any gain to be had by going over the axle? Im starting to see more and more under axle rear mounts. my charge piping is custom welded/bent but if I can pick up more by going under the axle ill definately try. I always figured going under would only kill clearance even more.
to me, it picked up the boost a little faster and was only $45 or so. and clearance is identical to the over the axle pipe..... just makes the boost come on a little sooner

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Kit!!!!