Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem after putting on intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM after removing intake...

my bf took the intake out of the car to check out his heads, and when he was through and put everything back together, he went to start the car and it was idling rough and when he revved up the car he thought he heard a clink/clanking sound....

he said the clanking really wasn't a fast paced thing...

could a 10mm socket fit under the intake valve if he perhaps dropped one in the car by accident... what would be the easiest way to found out if it did go under the valve besides pulling the heads off? or is that the only way?

he has double springs and he said it sounding like it was coming from the back of the motor...

he got one of those strong magnet tools that kinda looks like a pen and put it in each intake port and didn't get any shavings and looked at the intake with a mirror and checked them all out and he didn't see anything...

anything else this might be besides maybe dropping a tool in there... thanks for any advice
Old 03-22-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

If it went into the heads and past the valves, then it probably bent a valve. Otherwise it's something else then.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are any of the tools he used missing?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
Are any of the tools he used missing?
not that he can think of.... but who knows...

he was thinking it might be a 10mm if anything because he used that to take some bolts off around the area...

any other ideas?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Try to find a camera scope and take all the spark plugs off. A dealer or large repair shop may have one. I do believe a 10 mm 1/4 or maybe even a 3/8 drive would fit in an open intake valve.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dudas35
Try to find a camera scope and take all the spark plugs off. A dealer or large repair shop may have one. I do believe a 10 mm 1/4 or maybe even a 3/8 drive would fit in an open intake valve.
so the tool is actually called a Camera Scope...

what does it actually do?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
so the tool is actually called a Camera Scope...

what does it actually do?
I think it is called a borescope, it is a fiber optic camera that you can stick in a spark plug hole or any other small hole to look around. It has a light and a camera lens on it. You can check the inside of cylinders without removing the head.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could bring each cyl. to TDC and pull the sparkplug and use a some saftey wire or a piece of coat hanger and fish around in the cyl. to see if you feel anything loose. But chances are if you did drop anything in one of the cyl. you did some damage and the head needs to come off.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

I take it he already took the intake back off? I'm just thinking maybe he had something connected wrong (or not connected) & it was misfiring & detonating like a **** & he thought it ws clanking. Mine sounded like a bolt caught in a garbage disposal when I fired it up without the MAP sensor in the back of the new manifold.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:32 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I take it he already took the intake back off? I'm just thinking maybe he had something connected wrong (or not connected) & it was misfiring & detonating like a **** & he thought it ws clanking. Mine sounded like a bolt caught in a garbage disposal when I fired it up without the MAP sensor in the back of the new manifold.

That is my opinion also ... have him rip the intake back off (it only takes like 20 minutes anyways) WAYYY before you start going crazy with borescopes and the like. I believe if you dropped a 10mm Socket into a cylinder like you were saying it would be alot LOUDER and faster then you are describing .... but I am not there to hear it. Also, didn't he notice his 10mm socket missing when he went to put the 10mm intake bolts back on?

Why did he "take the intake off to check the heads"? Did he have to pull the heads for some reason, or was he just bored one day, and decided it would be a good idea to take the intake off to see what was down there? I honestly don't know how detailed of an investigation of the heads you could do after taking only the intake off, and not pulling the heads.

Lastly, if he did drop something as large as a 10mm socket down the intake port and didn't notice, I'm going to suggest that you go get an order of protection for your car, so he is no longer allowed to go near it.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x

That is my opinion also ... have him rip the intake back off (it only takes like 20 minutes anyways) WAYYY before you start going crazy with borescopes and the like. I believe if you dropped a 10mm Socket into a cylinder like you were saying it would be alot LOUDER and faster then you are describing .... but I am not there to hear it. Also, didn't he notice his 10mm socket missing when he went to put the 10mm intake bolts back on?

Why did he "take the intake off to check the heads"? Did he have to pull the heads for some reason, or was he just bored one day, and decided it would be a good idea to take the intake off to see what was down there? I honestly don't know how detailed of an investigation of the heads you could do after taking only the intake off, and not pulling the heads.

Lastly, if he did drop something as large as a 10mm socket down the intake port and didn't notice, I'm going to suggest that you go get an order of protection for your car, so he is no longer allowed to go near it.
the intake is off and he is working on it right now... he didn't take his heads off when he took the intake off the first time... he is going to try a couple of things, and then i will post a follow up later
Old 03-23-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default problem after putting on intake

i got done putting my intake back on and when i went to start it, it was running real bad and i went to rev it up and heard a clinking sound... i got a code #122 and the other one had to do with the air circuit i forgot the #...

could i have left something unpluged to make the motor sounds like that?? i took it off and looked to make sure nothing was in there and there wasnt

i made sure everything was plugged in again and it still did it... i want to check all my options before i tear the head off again!!

thanks for any help!!
Old 03-24-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

vacuum leak?? maybe broken spring, bad map sensor????
Old 03-24-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

where exactly is the map sensor located?? is it on the back of the intake by the vacuum lines or is it the tall one on the back of the block?? i am not sure that the plug by the vacuum lines is in all the way but i damn near broke it making sure it was in all the way...

could it have thrown the code 122 and make the car idle like shiznit??

thanks!!!!