Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to: New upholstery for my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default How to: New upholstery for my car

Well, I hope this serve as a more or less how to about this process. I bought a new set of upholstery (not covers) for my car in a effort of changing and updating my interior. The material is a vinyl that closely imitates good quality leather. My car (1999 Trans am) came with a dark gray leather interior and lumbar support. If you will get a new interior be sure to check your pieces are specifically made for lumbar support cars. In the process of installing it I will show the difference between lumbar and non-lumbar

Once the new set arrived I checked that all the pieces were there. Mine included also pieces for the door panels.

I started with those little seats in the rear. They are only anchored there with one screw located in the front part of the seat. Before taking them out expose your new pieces in the sun so they become more easily flexible at the moment of installing them.

Factory used metal clips to hold the upholstery. I used a Dremel to cut them out. Check their anchoring points because you will use the same points to put your new piece in place. Also check the status of your seat foams. Its more than likely these two rear seats are mint since no one can fit in them! LOL! Once your old seat cover is out it will look like this:

You will find that the seating surface of your seat was glued to the foam by the factory. I considered the same but decided to go ahead with out. After working the new upholstery I was satisfied with the finished product and found no need for any glue. If the front seat end up needing is still yet to be discovered.

Now, you can use the metal clips but I went with plastic tie wraps and they work like a dream. Here is a pic showing the new piece against the old. The old seat cover is already out and the new is in:

The plastic wraps will need to be installed in a way that they pierce the new upholstery. Just look at the points where the metal clips are in your old seat and use that as a reference. I used a tool to make holes into belts to make the same holes into the new upholstery:

Here is an example of the plastic wraps in place and ready to be tightened:

Following all the anchoring points your new seat will look something like this:

To not tight them all yet! Take your time to adjust your new upholstery over your foam. Be gentle but be strong with it. A firm hand is needed to correctly mate your piece with the foam pad. You can use a hair blow drier to soften the material but be very careful not to burn the seat or your hand! Remember this is vinyl.

The finished product looks like this. Old against new! Look at that difference:

Repeat the same for the other seat and you are on your way to good things to come! Next the back seat.

Last edited by chaman; 03-18-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work. Let's see more of the seats.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
Good work. Let's see more of the seats.
Thanks! I will post more pics as the process develops. Here is a quick mock up of how the fronts will look like:

Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

make sure and get the headrests nice and warm....mine where a pain in the ***....i was afraid they were gonna rip...luckly everything worked out....just take your time....pm me if u have any questions.. i will b happy to help
Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by joshua cobos
make sure and get the headrests nice and warm....mine where a pain in the ***....i was afraid they were gonna rip...luckly everything worked out....just take your time....pm me if u have any questions.. i will b happy to help
Will do, man! And Anticop...I will contact you soon too! LOL!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

where did you buy them? pm me if you have to
Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TX RED
Seller rubik818, Ebay. I do not think PM is necessary? If it is, mods, let me know. I will like to keep the thread alive.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lookin real good. subscribed!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

i want these!!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Nice write up. I replaced my interior a few months back. Couple tidbits of info:
1. Don't need to use a Dremel to remove hog-rings. A decent set of wire cutters will cut through them. Easier.
2. Like the zip-tie idea. Innovative. However, it only costs $5 for a bag of 100 hog-rings (which will do at least 2 cars) and another 20 for hog-ring pliers.
3. I used 3M77 spray glue when needed on the foam. It won't soak through the fabric, but sticks like a ****.

Again, great write-up.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Schantin
Nice write up. I replaced my interior a few months back. Couple tidbits of info:
1. Don't need to use a Dremel to remove hog-rings. A decent set of wire cutters will cut through them. Easier.
2. Like the zip-tie idea. Innovative. However, it only costs $5 for a bag of 100 hog-rings (which will do at least 2 cars) and another 20 for hog-ring pliers.
3. I used 3M77 spray glue when needed on the foam. It won't soak through the fabric, but sticks like a ****.

Again, great write-up.
Thanks for your input on the subject! I used the zip ties because I happen to have tons of them around as well as the tool to make belt holes. I bet some will find the use of hog-rings easier or more feasible.

About the Dremel, it was easier for me because, even at my 40 years old, I suffer from an advanced case of osteoarthrits in my hands. I have enough pain as it is worsened by all the force needed to put the covers over the foams properly. If on top I need to use pliers for those suckers am in for some really painful experience! LOL! The Dremel lets me "rest" my hands a bit in preparation for the next piece.

Thanks for the input again!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TX RED
Originally Posted by chaman
Seller rubik818, Ebay. I do not think PM is necessary? If it is, mods, let me know. I will like to keep the thread alive.
We cab set you up with any color combo and any logo as well. AND we're a sponsor.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=255

BTW, looks good, Chaman!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, chaman.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

i would love to do this but my front seat foams have had it. Gm don't sell new ones. i need to find a way to make them
Old 03-20-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chaman
Will do, man! And Anticop...I will contact you soon too! LOL!

You know Im watching this thread bro... if you set the seats out in the sun for an afternoon and let them get hot, they will lay down better and wrinkles will smooth out better... you can also warm them before install...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackstang3o2
i would love to do this but my front seat foams have had it. Gm don't sell new ones. i need to find a way to make them

You can go to any upholstery shop and get some foam or a large fabric store.. Hobby lobby maybe, Michaels arts and crafts, JoAnn fabric...

Chaman, if you do have to replace some of your foam and the 3M gets on the foam, cover it with baby powder or any talk... rub it and let it stick to the glue if it seeps out of the foam... it will also help the covers slide better...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Looking good!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Hurry up chaman, we wanna see the rest!

Thanks for the post dude, pictures are worth a thousand words.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
You can go to any upholstery shop and get some foam or a large fabric store.. Hobby lobby maybe, Michaels arts and crafts, JoAnn fabric...

Chaman, if you do have to replace some of your foam and the 3M gets on the foam, cover it with baby powder or any talk... rub it and let it stick to the glue if it seeps out of the foam... it will also help the covers slide better...
Nice to see you around here bro! Hey, did you use any 3M glue to attach the actual upholstery to the seating area of the cover itself? Like factory. The covers are pretty snug either way, could be a bit more if I applied glue although I would need to take them off again t least partially. I dont know if I should worry though. Its really not noticeable and only my kids put their asses over them! LOL!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

I used adhesive on the rear seat bottoms and on my head rests (96 style)... the rest of the fabric needs to move around some so I wouldnt recommend gluing it... I used minimal glue because I didnt want to chance it coming through my new material.. Id be especially careful if you have perforated inserts... once glue gets in those holes, thats it...

Quick Reply: How to: New upholstery for my car