Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Exhaust noises after SLP header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Annoying Exhaust noises after SLP header install

If anyone can help me out with this at all i would really appreciate it.. Since i installed my SLP headers and Y-pipe on my 2000 Camaro SS it seems my exhaust is giving me problems..

1st- My Y-pipe is slapping the bottom of my car .. is there anyway to fix the problem without different motor mounts? Can it be pried on or something? Any suggestions i'll greatly appreciate

2nd- when i am turning to the left i get a pretty stong vibration that seems to be from my exhaust(possibly rubbing somewhere) especially under heavy acceleration or high speed.. what can be done to fix that?

3rd- When i am under heavy acceleration it seems like i am gettin like a "Tsss Tsss TSsss" noise from what seems to sound like the front of my car around the engine compartment? Is it an exhaust leak? should i check my EGR hook up on my headers and check my header bolts? Or is it just normal vaccuums or something from the headers?

If anyone can help me with these problems i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1-y pipe maybe isn't welded good enough
2-?
3-That is definietly an exhaust leak if it gets louder as you accelerate. Check the header bolts and the gaskets
Old 03-24-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

1-Well the Y-pipe isn't welded.. it is just clamped on.. do you think it would be better to weld it or do you think the SLP clamps are good enough?
2- I heard that it is possible that i am getting a vibration from the part of exhuast piping that runs up over the back passenger side of the car to the muffler.. Possible when we were messin with it when trying to adjust the Y-pipe.. and it makes sense in a way because it only happens when i turn to the left.. and that exhaust pipe is on the right.. What do you think about that? make any sense?
3- Do the header bolts need to be torqued down to a specific amount? Or can i just get them as tight as i can by hand? It might possibly be the small EGR gasket i used(it was a different size than needed.. but seemed to work)

Thanks for the quick reply though i really appreciate it.. Thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Man, having the EXACT same issue since install Pacesetter and ORY and its driving me CRAZY!!! I've taken it back to the shop that did the initial install and dude told me the hissing noise was normal and the knocking (under heavy load) was the best they could do with the ORY. He suggested urethane motor mounts might fix the problem because the engine is rocking too much under heavy load.

Now, to complicate this worse I hear a small grinding-type noise when the AT shifts under med-heavy load! Hopefully someone can offer advice to help both of us.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to check your k-member. I know pacesetters have problems with them rubbing on the k member.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Y pipe banging....i tried this with the y pipe i had that was banging...i found where it was hitting th emost and a i made a slit about 2 inches infront of it, cutting almost like a wedge in the pipe...then i took the wedge peice out and pried the pipe down and welded it so it gave me another 1/4 of an inch of clearance. under heave load it would still bump slightly so i basically said **** it and put a peice of high temp radiator hose between the pipe and the floor....bumping is gone for now lol, ....new stainless steal and coated Y pipe in the works...

the vibration i had was being caused cause i didnt have enough clearnance for the cats (since then removed) because they were slightly rubbing against the under body frame of the car...**** acts like harmonics you can feel it and hear it throughout the car. once i gained more clearnace...though it doest vibrate a slight bit, it is not anything that bothers me, and im very sensative to sounds i dont like...this one doesnt bother me.

under the hood...could be a leak, do youstill have your AIR stuff hooked up? I had to put restrictor plates on mine (just took the block off plates and a drilled a 3/16's hole in the middle) cause the check valves burned up on me 2 weeks after the headers were installed...fixed that problem
Old 03-24-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it possible that my SLPs are rubbing on my K-member? Or do the SLp's not usually have problems with that? I think the best thing for me to do is to get under my car on a lift and loosen all my clamps and pull down on my exhaust and lot and pry on it.. and possibly put rubber hoses by where the Y-pipe is slapping.. Thats a good idea! Thanks for all of your feedback!
Old 03-24-2004, 07:44 PM

Default ORY slap

I removed my cats to stop the y-pipe slap, I also but it a energy suspension transmission mount bushing which helped the most.

Quick Reply: Annoying Exhaust noises after SLP header install