Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpintine Belt walks on the balancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Serpintine Belt walks on the balancer

I have a LQ4 I put in a 1980 Trans am, I just brought it home from storage. The swap has 35 miles on it and the belt sits perfect everywhere but the balancer. I was almost home when I heard a bunch of noise under the hood and noticed the volt meter guage was at 13v. pulled over and the belt was off the motor, and 1 rib was torn off all the way around. I put the belt back on and got home but it trying to tear the next rib off by working to the outside of the balancer. Has anyone had this problem before?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Hmm does the power steering pully supposed to be flush with the shaft from the pump.....mines not....maybe its not on all the way
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Assuming everything is lined up properly, maybe the tensioner is messed up.

Another thing we used to do in the early days was buy high lip pulleys for the tensioners when we started to buzz big rpms. The main belt would sometimes start to walk off if you were shifting close to 7 grand. I think some folks would buy a 90's GTP pulley for this, and I bought one from ASP.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Launching!

The power steering pump pulley should always be flush with the shaft when properly installed. This could very well cause the belt to want to walk forward on the balancer.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Launching!

I will rent the tool from auto zone ....I guess I will push it in further
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock FEAD? Are you using aftermarket brackets such as Kwik/S&P?

If you ended up getting say an underdrive or SFI balancer with a high lip, that will just cause your belt to squeak and won't fix the problem
Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
The power steering pump pulley should always be flush with the shaft when properly installed. This could very well cause the belt to want to walk forward on the balancer.
Not if he is using a different powersteering pulley than came on the pump. Many here with truck accessories use smaller pulleys off different cars and the way to make it all align proper usually leads to the pulley being pressed on further than flush with the shaft. More info is needed on the OP's FEAD system.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what year LQ4 the OP has, but some (if not all) of the later LS engines got a tensioner pulley with the higher lip. I have both a later one and an earlier one, and sitting next to each other, the later one has a much higher lip.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Another thing we used to do in the early days was buy high lip pulleys for the tensioners when we started to buzz big rpms. The main belt would sometimes start to walk off if you were shifting close to 7 grand. I think some folks would buy a 90's GTP pulley for this, and I bought one from ASP.
With that being said, I bet you're onto something with the PS pump. The PS pump pulley feeds the belt onto crank pulley. Of course it wraps around the water pump first, but the water pump is smooth w/no grooves, and it's on the smooth side of the belt, so the belt could be tracking forward there and you'd never know.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

My LQ 4, [2005], had the p/s pulley 3/32" too far out. The belts squawked, and had problems with the edges getting eaten off. Didn't come off, but ruined it, anyway.
Pressed the pulley flush.. NP!

FWIW: Someone has posted that there's a GM bulletin on the noise problem. It said to check the pulley location.

Last edited by Old Geezer; 03-23-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your pulleys are misaligned or not square to each other than you will have belt problems.

Clamp a flat edge to the crank pulley and measure the distance from that to the first groove on the crank pulley. then swing the flat edge around and makes sure ALL of your accessory pulleys have their first groove the same distance from the flat edge. Also make sure the accessory pulleys are square to the flat edge.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Ok, thanks to everyone who helped.....the powersteering pully was off by 2 ribs, I didnt press it all the way. I pressed it all the way flush...new belt and she is perfect

Quick Reply: Serpintine Belt walks on the balancer